She was very good indeed,
But when she was bad she was horrid.
-Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

He could have been writing about VW.

rac

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen
No. My new Honda Accord EX-L V6 arrives sometime in the next two weeks. I know - completely different driving experience vs German makes. But after the frequent and expensive repairs on a 1999 Jetta VR6 and 2009 Jetta Sportwagen TDI (both bought new), I just want a reliable driving appliance. Value pricing doesn't hurt.

Further, I think VW is on the ropes in North America. If the new SUV doesn't sell crazy numbers, it'll be hard to justify continuing to try to sell cars here.

Rather Be Biking

Veteran Member
TDI
09 JSW Manual
Replaced 2009 TDI sportwagen with 2017 TSI even deal.

The buyback paid slightly more than the cost of a 2017 Jetta S TSI with heated [cloth] seats. The difference, combined with the apology gift cards pretty much covered the taxes. $2k more would upgrade to an SE, but I couldn't bring myself to give VW any money. Turns out I really like the TSI and am getting slightly better mileage than my TDI was giving me. This was a surprise. Seems to corner better as well. Decent torque and fairly low revs at highway speed. Still not diesel level torque. The other tradeoff was I downgrade from a sportwagen (no $5k discounts on sportwagens) to a sedan. But it's a new car. If VW wants me to accept their apology, this seems to be doing it. The car was $14,500 with the rebate.

adimex

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 TDI Cup 6MT (sold), 2014 JETTA TDI 6MT (recalled), 2014 JSW TDI 6MT & 2015 JETTA TDI DSG
Test drove cars from other manufacturers and we settled for a '17 Golf SportWagen SE:D

ldubvdub

TDI
14 Jetta TDI Value Edition 6MT
Had my heart set on a '17 WRX or the Forrester XL (always wanted either) drove them, liked them both. Went next door and drove a 17' GTI S 6MT and fell in love. Took a couple days to negotiate and November incentives were great so I brought it home. That little white GTI puts a smile on my face every time I get in it, now if I could only keep my wife out of it....

FWIW the Subaru's were solid, I just didn't get the same feeling driving them.

halbert

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 sportwagen
To replace the JSW, so far we've driven the GSW, Mazda 3 5 dr, and Subaru outback. Leaning towards the GSW. Don't want to go full SUV mode. And I really don't want what I call a toaster car (square box on wheels).

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
Well, there's a $1000 "loyalty bonus" for anyone wanting to stay with VW... *shrug*

......unsure about the loyalty bonus/Alltrack applicability................

But I saw a white version in the dealer showroom that looked a LOT like my JSW TDI 6M. 6M reportedly available "early 2017"..............

My sole concern would be the potential 'withdrawal' symptoms associated with leaving a vehicle that set the bar fuel efficiency-wise..........

.......at least I've a LOT of time for decision-making...........

ez

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
At one time, I thought the 3.0 liter TDi issue would be resolved relatively quickly, VW would be able to sell Toureag TDi cars again, and I could buy a CPO Toureag TDi.

Well, things didn't work out that way. So I got a BMW X5 CPO diesel instead.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
Yes, we are considering a gas VW Sportwagon. I'd prefer to get a used one 2013 or 2014, but there don't seem to be many available. Are there any big improvements with going with a new one? Better mileage, etc. It definitely needs to be a turbo engine not the 2.5L. I'm not sure what year they started offering the 1.8 TSI.

Boy, I would drop my TDI for a $45 or $60/mo e-Golf. I wish we could get deals like that around here. Those numbers don't make any sense to me.

atomicfront

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta wagon tdi
......unsure about the loyalty bonus/Alltrack applicability................
But I saw a white version in the dealer showroom that looked a LOT like my JSW TDI 6M. 6M reportedly available "early 2017"..............
My sole concern would be the potential 'withdrawal' symptoms associated with leaving a vehicle that set the bar fuel efficiency-wise..........
.......at least I've a LOT of time for decision-making...........
ez
Someone posted that the 1000 dollar loyalty bonus is available for All Tracks now. Even so my local dealer seems to have them only 1100 off with the bonus. They have 14 of them so I don't know if they will be sticking to those figures.

fucanay

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Yes, we are considering a gas VW Sportwagon. I'd prefer to get a used one 2013 or 2014, but there don't seem to be many available. Are there any big improvements with going with a new one? Better mileage, etc. It definitely needs to be a turbo engine not the 2.5L. I'm not sure what year they started offering the 1.8 TSI.

Boy, I would drop my TDI for a $45 or $60/mo e-Golf. I wish we could get deals like that around here. Those numbers don't make any sense to me.
The 1.8 TSI started in 2015 with the change over to Golf Sportwagen from Jetta. So, you'd be looking for 2015 and newer. The 2.5L was a dog compared to the TDI when we bought ours. The 1.8 is much better than the 2.5, but it still doesn't have the torque I loved from the TDI off the line. It may have to do though, since everything else in the same price range feels really weak and slow.

halfast3

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI DSG
There was a little girl,
Who had a little curl,
Right in the middle of her forehead.
When she was good,
She was very good indeed,
But when she was bad she was horrid.
-Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
He could have been writing about VW.
I thought the last line was "But when she was bad, she was popular." ;)

MBellantone

TDI
2014 Jetta Sport Wagen 6sp Man
Someone posted that the 1000 dollar loyalty bonus is available for All Tracks now. Even so my local dealer seems to have them only 1100 off with the bonus. They have 14 of them so I don't know if they will be sticking to those figures.
I just yesterday put $500 down on the as of yet non-existant 6sp Manual Alltrack. Not sure this will do me any good but time will tell.

The final price was $30,000 (even) for SE with Driver Assist. (Before tax and doc which adds another $2,500.)

I made them add to the contract:

"Price above will be less any incentives and specials being offered at the time."

Do you guys think they should be able to lower the price by the "incentive" amount at this point or hope something is still in place when the car comes in?

atomicfront

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta wagon tdi
I just yesterday put $500 down on the as of yet non-existant 6sp Manual Alltrack. Not sure this will do me any good but time will tell.
The final price was $30,000 (even) for SE with Driver Assist. (Before tax and doc which adds another $2,500.)
I made them add to the contract:
"Price above will be less any incentives and specials being offered at the time."
Do you guys think they should be able to lower the price by the "incentive" amount at this point or hope something is still in place when the car comes in?
Since the automatic SE with drivers assist is only 32k why did you put a deposit down on it for a price of 30k? I thought they were only going to make the S in manual. Seems pretty futile what you are doing. But its your 500 dollars. If you want the dealer to hold onto it for a while I that is your decision.

bennybmn

Veteran Member
TDI
(Formerly) '11 Jetta 6 speed, Alltrack 6MT
Alltrack can be had in S and SE with a 6MT, 4motion GSW only S...

I did the same thing. Basically ordered one. I'm hoping to see what I can do with whatever incentives are happening at the time too.

Cincy_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat SE TDI
You have to order an alltrak with the drivers package. Apparently from what I have been told by the dealer that is the only way to get it. I like the alltrak but not sure I will stay with VW.