Anybody thinking of getting a new VW?

tgoetzman

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI Silver/Black
30 year VW family here, and my wife is so mad at VW I doubt we will buy another. Drove a 2017 Jetta SE 1.4 turbo 4dr with auto and liked it fine... just not sure what to do.

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
I have moved over to CPO BMWs for the time being.

Salsaman06

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL (sold back to VWoA Dec 21, 2016)
I love german cars. And I really love VWs. My '13 Passat is my second VW - which is saying something because I've never owned the same brand twice. I love the Passat even with all it's quirks. I hate to get rid of it. Even thought of getting a '17 Passat 3.6 to replace it. But I cannot bring myself to trust VW right now so NO I am not replacing the Passat with another VW. The trust factor for me isn't about the emissions cheating itself. My distrust of VW goes much deeper. A very disturbing corporate culture had to exist within VW to allow this emissions cheating debacle to ever happen in the first place. What other little "land mines" did this corporate culture allow that we don't yet know about? Maybe nothing. But the current corporate culture isn't exactly a paragon of rectitude and transparency right now and just replacing the CEO, while a good start, isn't the end of it. To paraphrase a current political sound bite - the swamp needs draining. And that is something that will take time. Until then I am moving on.

Last edited:

the_jeep_now

TDI
2013 VW Jetta TDI Premium
I can tell you from experience that if your commute is mainly highway, you will easily exceed that number (unless you are driving below sea level, into the wind, and uphill both ways). :cool:

The fuel efficiency gap has been nearly closed with fuel costs and more efficient gassers.
That's good to hear. And yes, my commute is 90% highway in FL so it's flat as it gets. Do you have 1.8 TSI? Any advice? Things to watch out for?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Tarbe

Veteran Member
TDI
Touareg and Sportwagon Sold to VW
I love german cars. And I really love VWs. My '13 Passat is my second VW - which is saying something because I've never owned the same brand twice. I love the Passat even with all it's quirks. I hate to get rid of it. Even thought of getting a '17 Passat 3.6 to replace it. But I cannot bring myself to trust VW right now so NO I am not replacing the Passat with another VW. The trust factor for me isn't about the emissions cheating itself. My distrust of VW goes much deeper. A very disturbing corporate culture had to exist within VW to allow this emissions cheating debacle to ever happen in the first place. What other little "land mines" did this corporate culture allow that we don't yet know about? Maybe nothing. But the current corporate culture isn't exactly a paragon of rectitude and transparency right now and just replacing the CEO, while a good start, isn't the end of it. To paraphrase a current political sound bite - the swamp needs draining. And that is something that will take time. Until then I am moving on.
Well said.

5 new VWs between 2003 and 2013.

I love the cars, but it doesn't matter anymore. I have to move on or I will be violating too many of the principles I have been teaching my kids the past 26 years. Not gonna do it.

HBarlow

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen, 2016 Audi Q5 TDI
Does anyone here actually believe that all the emissions compliance figures reported by GM, Ford, Fiat-Chrysler, and all the Japanese manufacturers are 100% squeaky clean?

VW was targeted. There is no question that VW was in violation but why were no other manufacturers tested?

Salsaman06

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL (sold back to VWoA Dec 21, 2016)
Does anyone here actually believe that all the emissions compliance figures reported by GM, Ford, Fiat-Chrysler, and all the Japanese manufacturers are 100% squeaky clean?

VW was targeted. There is no question that VW was in violation but why were no other manufacturers tested?
There is no evidence to suggest otherwise at this point. Do you have specific evidence RE: the targeting comment? How do you know that other manufacturers have *not* been tested? I could equally speculate that they all have indeed been tested, being tested, or planned to be tested after the VW cheating was announced. You know that after this multibillion dollar lawsuit that other manufacturers are next for extensive testing and any other cheating will no doubt be revealed soon if the testing hasn't already been done.

Last edited:

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible

Lets put it this way. For a year or two prior to 09 Honda was supposed to bring a diesel to the US market. They never did. More recently, Mazda was supposed to bring a diesel to the US market, and hasn't.

I think these companies could have brought these engines to the US market if they were willing to deliberately falsify an emissions test. But they apparently weren't.

CT_Gman

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Jetta Sport, 2011 Golf TDI 6MT 2 door - GONE, 2013 Passat DSG SE w/sunroof - GONE
I already bought a replacement for by '11 Golf TDI; a 2016 Jetta Sport. I bought it because of the very steep discount VW was giving on them back in August. It will cost me about $500 over my buyback check. Now that I have it, I love it. I am giving up about 8 mpg, but it is quieter, has a better interior, and more power. (a little less torque) It also has a warranty and 80,000 less miles.

Nothing else I drove in the price range came close.

Ramonbo89

TDI
2015 Jetta S
So many people angry over this deception like they have never been deceived by a government or a manufacture!

Ennis

TDI
2013 Golf TDI
Yes, although it would take a very good deal. Not the best deal ever made, but well below invoice. With that I would think about a GSW S 4Motion MT, hopefully MT is available by the April/May timeframe I am thinking about.

Otherwise, I just signed the contract to build a new house this afternoon, and could feel good about leasing a basic commuter car for $200/month for the next few years and putting my $13k or so net buyback proceeds towards the house. I will finalize my online submission in a couple of months and see what happens, I guess.

Last edited:

TDIinMA

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT; Black uni, Cornsilk
That's good to hear. And yes, my commute is 90% highway in FL so it's flat as it gets. Do you have 1.8 TSI? Any advice? Things to watch out for?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
We have had a '15 Golf S 1.8 TSI for about six months. Paid about $16K for it and it had about 16K miles on it. So far it's been great with no issues. Perfect first car for the kids to share. I've taken it to work and back (like you , mainly highway) a few times and averaged about 38-39 MPG.

Last edited:

TDIinMA

Veteran Member
TDI
I already bought a replacement for by '11 Golf TDI; a 2016 Jetta Sport. I bought it because of the very steep discount VW was giving on them back in August. It will cost me about $500 over my buyback check. Now that I have it, I love it. I am giving up about 8 mpg, but it is quieter, has a better interior, and more power. (a little less torque) It also has a warranty and 80,000 less miles.
Nothing else I drove in the price range came close.
Nice cars. I almost got one instead of the Golf. Just like the hatch better than sedan.

Tarbe

Veteran Member
TDI
Touareg and Sportwagon Sold to VW

No one is saying anything about other companies being perfect.

What we are saying is that VW is proven to be crooked...big time.

You seem to be working hard to convince yourself that you can sleep with a dog and not get fleas.

banshee365

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta
If VW offers incentives on an NOS Touareg TDI I'm in. If not, so long VW for me.

n1acguy

Veteran Member
TDI
13 Passat TDI DSG SE/Sunroof
Not for a second. Any car is going to test a WHOLE lot different on active roads up and down hills than one that is on a known treadmill test.

Some EPA officials have said they believe the problem is industry wide and plan to test other manufacturers starting with diesels and continuing till all manufacturers are road tested. So far they don't have funds allotted.

They had VW by the jewels and were squeezin holding their cars in port.
VW probably figured they could fess up and beg for forgiveness.
I'll bet anyone else would have denied everything and rolled their dice in court if they had any sign that it would turn into the auto manufacturing crime of the century.

Last edited:

halfast3

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI DSG
As we get older, comfort has become a much higher priority. With that in mind, we drove some of VW's current offerings at a local dealer this week.
Since they didn't have any SELs, we drove a Passat SE, DSG with 'leatherette' seats which, on a ~60 degF day, felt like someone had switched on the seat heaters. I can't imagine what they'd feel like in summer! Additionally, the upholstry was slippery and the side bolsters were clearly designed for someone of ... more generous porportions than ours. In all fairness, we went in prepared to like the Passat but even though it drove like a VW in every respect, honestly, it just didn't check too many boxes for us. We will drive the SEL when available.
Next up was a Golf Sportwagen SE, AT. Same problem with the upholstery but at least we fit nicely between the bolsters. Otherwise, it felt like our Golf with a somewhat less crisp but smoother tranny and higher center of gravity, which I guess it has, due to the extra mass at the roof level with the pano sunroof. Speaking of which, what were they thinking when they replaced the functional sun shade of our Golf hatch's sunroof with a shade cloth roller blind for the Sportwagen's pano? We could feel the solar gain through the shade, something we're not totally familar with in the Willamette Valley. ;)
The GLI is beautifully appointed but, not needing the extra 40 hp or wanting the bling, we drove a Jetta SEL, DSG next. Same upholstery issues but the seats fit us otherwise and the car spoke to us nicely. The suspension was spot on and the ride was comfortable, coming closest to the feel of our Golf but with extra trunk space... though not as versitile as a hatch or wagon.
We have also driven Volvo S60 AWD (really nice, upscale small sedan), the XC70 (more spacious but dated) and the V60 Cross Country, our favorite so far. All 3 had amazing front seats! We have yet to drive a FWD S60 or V60 or a standard ride-height V60 AWD.
The downside of having driven the Volvos is we now have some seriously conflicting options.
Plan A would be to replace the Golf with a Jetta, Mazda 6 or something similar.
Plan B would be to move up-market and replace the CX-5 with an affable Swede.​
With that in mind, we've been looking at CPO V60s online. If needed, we'd find a Golf replacement for around town use.
Decisions, decisions. :confused:

Last edited:

halfast3

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI DSG
Nice cars. I almost got one instead of the Golf. Just like the hatch better than sedan.
^^ +1 ... but the space behind the seats keeps shrinking:
The luggage from our 2001 Golf TDI wouldn't fit into the 2011 Golf TDI's trunk; the Mk7's under-hatch space is even smaller. :(

Last edited:

HBarlow

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen, 2016 Audi Q5 TDI
Not for a second. Any car is going to test a WHOLE lot different on active roads up and down hills than one that is on a known treadmill test.

Some EPA officials have said they believe the problem is industry wide and plan to test other manufacturers starting with diesels and continuing till all manufacturers are road tested. So far they don't have funds allotted.

They had VW by the jewels and were squeezin holding their cars in port.
VW probably figured they could fess up and beg for forgiveness.
I'll bet anyone else would have denied everything and rolled their dice in court if they had any sign that it would turn into the auto manufacturing crime of the century.
I agree. My guess is GM, Ford, or F-C would have resolved a VW-like issue with "campaign donations" and the EPA would have "determined" that the problem was not as large as originally believed.

Borsig

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2015 GSW SEL (buyback), 2011 JSW (sold)
Not unless I see a WHOLE lot more than I am seeing now.

The realistic answer is - not likely. I dont see VW offering a big incentive for us to stay.

TDIinMA

Veteran Member
TDI
^^ +1 ... but the space behind the seats keeps shrinking:
The luggage from our 2001 Golf TDI wouldn't fit into the 2011 Golf TDI's trunk; the Mk7's under-hatch space is even smaller. :(
I guess they are slowly evolving into ... Audis. :)

I'm ok with it. I used to drive an '02 1.9 TDI Beetle. :cool:

Now that was a small hatch space...

FVWVWF

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold - 2012 TDI Highline Manual
Im thinking and will be getting a nother VW. Id rather drive a car that costs me a little more than advertised and kills a tree than risking being caught on fire, gas pedal being stuck, tires coming off the rims or other possible deadly consequences. Fact is, is that no manufacturer is a saint, they all take shortcuts to make a buck and every brand has its issues.

Drmaseofbase

TDI
2012 SE Passat
I had no moral objection to getting another Passat but after test driving it I really didn't like it at all. Then I test drove a 2014 Audi A4, 2015 Volvo S60, and a 2014 infinity q50 sport.

I bought the infinity

toasters

TDI
2011 Golf TDI
I test drove an e-Golf last week and enjoyed driving it. I'm pretty set on getting that when I sell back my Golf TDI.

Leases are cheap right now on these things. 30 month lease for about $45/month. That's my current plan right now since my commute is about 7 miles round-trip.

n1acguy

Veteran Member
TDI
13 Passat TDI DSG SE/Sunroof
I didn't stay with VW because they just aren't making what I want.
I ended up buying a loaded Malibu hybrid. It's no torquey TDI (I'll miss that) but it'll actually get better fuel mileage.
In some ways it's nicer than the Passat, (significantly less road noise-quieter) but there are characteristics of the VW other than the TDI that I'll miss like the most linear fuel gauge of anything I've ever owned. Without having an active suspension, I'd say VW has the Passat set up nicely. Not too firm, and not too soft.

As someone on here said, nothing else drives like a German car. Maybe someday I'll own another VW.
Even though fuel is cheap, I'll spend more to use less fuel. Mostly because I don't like the way that commodity gets manipulated. As of tomorrow, the Passat will be parked till it gets turned in.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I test drove an e-Golf last week and enjoyed driving it. I'm pretty set on getting that when I sell back my Golf TDI.
Leases are cheap right now on these things. 30 month lease for about $45/month. That's my current plan right now since my commute is about 7 miles round-trip.
That's an incredible lease deal. The dealers around here want more like $245/mo. :eek:

I would absolutely lease an e-Golf for $45/mo (with maybe $5,000 down).

So there you go, Volkswagen. That ^ is how you can keep me as a customer without TDIs.

But that won't happen here. Volkswagen must be starving for ZEV credits in California, and they're trying to get them by moving existing product rather than buying credits from folks like Tesla.

Last edited:

TDILeo

Veteran Member
TDI
CW 2011 Golf TDI 6M Repurchased By VW 1/30/17 1985 VW GTI
I am going to schedule a GTI test drive at my designated buyback dealership prior to the buyback. I'll let on that I am opting for the buyback and kind of feel them out as to what they could do for me to put me behind the wheel of a 2017.

SOCALGAL

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan & 2013 Jetta Wagon
Nope, we have 2 TDI's and my husband's getting a Silverado 1500 crew cab and I'm getting a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (I've missed my little Chevy Blazer). We're going full on suck the fuel tank dry gas warrior's. :p

toasters

TDI
2011 Golf TDI
That's an incredible lease deal. The dealers around here want more like $245/mo. :eek:

I would absolutely lease an e-Golf for $45/mo (with maybe $5,000 down).

So there you go, Volkswagen. That ^ is how you can keep me as a customer without TDIs.

But that won't happen here. Volkswagen must be starving for ZEV credits in California, and they're trying to get them by moving existing product rather than buying credits from folks like Tesla.
P.S. I picked up my new e-Golf on Monday. I splurged for the DC fast charge model and paid a little more. $1499 down and $59/month for 30 months. My commute is 7 miles round trip, so I just got the 7,500 mile allowance. :)

Dealers here are flooded with e-Golfs. The dealer I got mine from had 110 on the lot. Others have 150 or more. With the '17's coming out soon with the larger range, they're basically giving away the '16's. MSRP was $31,625, but the capitalized cost was only $24,400. Over $7k under MSRP. Add in the $10k in rebates and the new car only costs $14,400. If you want one, it would probably be cheaper to buy it here and have it shipped to VA.

Last edited: