Anybody interested in a Las Vegas Fall GTG?

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Well, the summer heat (and monsoon rains) has finally left us and the weather is once again beautiful. Is there any interest in a Las Vegas area TDI Meet & Greet? We can do this in many ways. We could just meet somewhere (I'm open to suggestions) or we could do a picnic sort of thing with burgers and brats (or whatever) at some park. Calico Basin (right next to Red Rock canyon) has grills, tables, and parking. I'm sure there are also other possibilities as well. If someone has access to some sort of shop, a little wrenching is also a possibility.

I am thinking that somewhere in mid to late October would work out well. Lets have some date and venue suggestions so we can start planning.

Have Fun!

Don

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
you flinched and clicked twice I see.....no date suggestions. All weekends of Oct looks ok for me right now.

I am enjoying the windows open at night finally. the nicest weather time of year is here.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
you flinched and clicked twice I see.....no date suggestions. All weekends of Oct looks ok for me right now.

I am enjoying the windows open at night finally. the nicest weather time of year is here.
Yeah, apparently I did double click by accident. I probably should PM a moderator and get that second thread deleted. Anyway, I agree about the weather. You gotta love highs in the 80s and lows in the 60s.

Have Fun!

Don

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
maybe you just have to pick a date before people chime in.

want to meet for b-fast this Saturday, Oct 5th, and look at the car gathering on Eastern and Serene? for anyone else not familiar, just a 'whoever wants to stop by' type gathering. usually a nice selection of old and new. haven't stopped by in a while. I assume its still happening.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
want to meet for b-fast this Saturday, Oct 5th, and look at the car gathering on Eastern and Serene?
I don't know if I can. My wife's sister is in town. Right now they are in Sedona. They are coming back tomorrow. In other words, I do not know what I am doing on Saturday morning. I really won't have a clue until tomorrow afternoon/evening when I find out what their plans are for the weekend. I will call you if I can make it. Next weekend should be no problem.

I know we are not the only TDIs in town, let's hope somebody else sees this thread and joins in.

Have Fun!

Don

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
ahhhh good..... another displaced PNW'erner. what industry you with?? I'm airline. So moved close to McCarran airport. You know the area or need tips?

Forza91

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL TDI, 2004 Golf GLS TDI
ahhhh good..... another displaced PNW'erner. what industry you with?? I'm airline. So moved close to McCarran airport. You know the area or need tips?
Cirque, but my partner is the one with the job -I just have to tag along. yeah, how far do I have to travel to see trees? :D

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Cirque, but my partner is the one with the job -I just have to tag along. yeah, how far do I have to travel to see trees? :D
About 45 minutes tops. All you have to is drive up one of the higher mountains. Mt Charleston is the best, it is mostly trees after you get to about 6,000 feet. At 8,000 feet you can go skiing about a third of the year. The right time of year, you can ski in the morning and go swimming in the afternoon. When will you be arriving in Las Vegas?

Depending on what you have planned, I may drive up from AZ.
So far, there's not much planned. We are still trying to see how many people are interested. I have met quite a few area TDI people and I'm actually a little surprised more people haven't seen this thread and said something.

So far, the closest thing we have to plans is Rory (Jetlagmech) and I meeting for breakfast and going to a local "Cars & Coffee" meet some Saturday morning (we only live a few blocks apart). Unfortunately Red Rock Canyon is currently closed due to political incompetency. If we can get anything together - it will be posted here.

Have Fun!

Don

Forza91

Veteran Member
TDI
About 45 minutes tops. All you have to is drive up one of the higher mountains. Mt Charleston is the best, it is mostly trees after you get to about 6,000 feet. At 8,000 feet you can go skiing about a third of the year. The right time of year, you can ski in the morning and go swimming in the afternoon. When will you be arriving in Las Vegas?
I'm taking off this Monday so I should be pulling into Las Vegas come Tuesday afternoon or so! I think I took a tour of Mt. Charleston via Google Streetview a while back looking for decent climbs to do on my bike. Is that pretty much it in as far as +2000ft climbs in the immediate vicinity? Judging by what I can see on Google the area is pretty flat for the most part yes?

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
Vegas is in a bowl surrounded by hills. lots of bike places. Look on the map at town called Searchlight. there is a road that goes up and over the mountain from there toward I-15. I have gone up there to watch meteor showers, Away from city lights. There is a 30 mile bike loop up the SW side of lake mead and around the mountain beside lake Mead but it doesn't go over it. Its probably closed right now because of government shutdown.

Have a nice drive next week. let me know if you need any help with anything. I have an appliance dolly and furniture rollers

Last edited:

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Is that pretty much it in as far as +2000ft climbs in the immediate vicinity? Judging by what I can see on Google the area is pretty flat for the most part yes?
The Las Vegas Valley is pretty much flat, but it is surrounded on almost all sides by mountains. There are many places to climb. Also it's a relatively short drive to many interesting places in Southern Utah and only a few hours away from the Grand Canyon. Do you have any idea what part of town you will be living in?

Have Fun!

Don

Forza91

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the offer Jetlagmech, I may take you up on that if we don't end up getting rid of furniture!

JSWTDI09, we are going to be on Paradise Road between the airport and I215

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks for the offer Jetlagmech, I may take you up on that if we don't end up getting rid of furniture!

JSWTDI09, we are going to be on Paradise Road between the airport and I215
That is not very far from where we live (Jetlagmech and I), so it will be easy for us to get together whenever you get settled in. Let us know when you get some free time.

Have Fun!

Don

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
Hey Don....how does this coming Saturday look for you to meet at coffee and cars??? Oct 26. We'll find a Saturday eventually that's good for both of us at the same time......Anybody else????

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Hey Don....how does this coming Saturday look for you to meet at coffee and cars??? Oct 26. We'll find a Saturday eventually that's good for both of us at the same time......Anybody else????
Count me in. We shall see if anybody else can make it.

Have Fun!

Don

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
Forza91......don't know if you have kids but at sunset park on sunday Oct 27, which is close, there is a zombie run, fun run with zombies trying to capture the flags of runners. which should be fun for kids to go watch.

That park also has lots of grass which you will be in withdrawls for. and it has a Frisbee golf course.

Last edited:

mrswift3

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sportwagen
Hey whats up Don, I got the wagen back from the shop yesterday and it looks great. If you guys do a Saturday meet Id like to show up. It doesn't matter where. Coffee and Cars sound good

Last edited:

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mrswift3

I got your PM, but for some reason I cannot send you a PM. I do not know if this was your choice or someone else's choice. Anyway, this is the reply I tried to send you:

OK, no problem. Details have not yet been worked out. There is a little shopping center on Eastern Ave.near the intersection of Serene. Every Saturday morning between about 8:00 AM and about noon they have an impromptu car show. People bring their customized cars and people walk around looking at all the cars. You might see just about anything from old American cars, to exotic foreign cars to 1958 VW bugs. You just never know who (or what) you will see.

The decision on where and when to meet will be made sometime before Saturday. Details will be posted here when decided. I will bring VCDS computer with me.

Have Fun!

Don

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
I will be there for sure Saturday. T-Bird Café acoss the street I have heard is good for B-fast. For a lighter fare Einstein Bagel I know is good and that's in the same parking lot as Cars and Coffee, so is Crepe Expectations. Don't know how others feel about b-fast but my favorite meal is breakfast. its the meal with all the jelly and syrups

Last edited:

mrswift3

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sportwagen
Don, Sorry about the PM. I was adjusting my settings and got the select and un-select options mixed up lol. Where ever you and Jetlagmech decide post it up here and I am ok with. Ive never been to that car meet so it should be interesting. Looking foward to meeting you guys. Clint

Last edited:

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I will be there for sure Saturday. T-Bird Café across the street I have heard is good for B-fast.
What time do you feel like doing breakfast? I (we?) can meet you there any time. How early do you want to start? I have never stopped at that T-Bird place. I have seen it many times, but never ate there but I am certainly willing to try it.

Have Fun!

Don

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
I am going to park by where the cars are then walk over to T-bird. I will be there about 8am.

I will wear a pink baseball cap with a RS initial symbol on it. Those are my initials but the cap is from Shannon Ridge winery in Napa. look forward to seeing anyone that comes by......Rory

Forza91

Veteran Member
TDI
Okay, I'll look up where this place (T-Bird Cafe?) is at. I shouldn't be too hard to spot - I'll be the only car with Oregon plates :D

*Is it on Eastern, south of I215?

Last edited:

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
yes. Eastern south of 215. traveling south T-bird will be on right, cars will be in mall parking lot on left. If you get to a Target you went too far.

Your wife coming?? my wife asked if any other females will be there. She wants me to take her for B-fast but doesn't want to sit there bored while just guys talk.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
OK, I'll be there 8ish too.
BTW: Rory, my wife can't make it so I'll be alone.

Don

P.S. With VCDS