Anybody elses dealer cuts corners on the oil / filter changes on the new 2015s?

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI SE 6MT 15 GOLF TDI SEL DSG
I acquired two 2015 GSW recently with about one week difference in delivery. Per invoice oil , oil/ fuel filters were changed and the brakes flushed. However, in reality I have some doubts. One of the cars have some obvious signs of oil change, some spots, wipe marks around the filter, hoses, wires that are in there. The other looks pristine like it just rolled off the assembly line, with the exception of some minor dust from sitting on the lot. I find it very hard to believe that the human hand ever touched that oil filter. Started looking at the fuel filter area and it looks pristine as well, no odor or any stains whatsoever. Of course I talked to the service manager, but for them to admit is equivalent to confession of murder. Anybody else have these discoveries?

Last edited:

Grigg3

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta wagon, 15 Golf wagon
I noticed they about half stripped the torx screw heads on the fuel filter cover on mine.. so reasonably sure they at least changed that filter.

KenD

Oil change

They changed my oil but not the filter so over fill light came on in the dash. The spare tire was so tight a human could not losen it check your spare before you need it.

iamatt

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta 6 Speed manual
No, the car hasn't been back to the dealer since it went off the lot, ok well the used parts department to pick up parts. How about change the oil yourself.

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
No, the car hasn't been back to the dealer since it went off the lot, ok well the used parts department to pick up parts. How about change the oil yourself.
always.....Im talking about what VW required the dealers to do prior to the sale of the unsold inventory from 2015

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Trust the dealers to do what they say?

Sales man told us they changed the pads, they didn't. Sadly I didn't get it in writing before the sale. VW corporate says its an issue i need to address with the dealer an nothing they can do for me.

nsocwx

TDI
2015 Golf TDI Sportwagen S
They changed my oil but not the filter so over fill light came on in the dash. The spare tire was so tight a human could not losen it check your spare before you need it.
My car was exactly the same as this. Over filled by 600mL and the spare tire was holy **** tight. I thought the plastic nut was going to break when I had to tap it loose with a hammer....
Spare tire was also at 25PSI...

BobbyWires

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW manual, 1991 Syncro Vanagon, 2004 Audi A4 Avant 6man, 1990 Ford F250 351 "farm truck" 2014 Q7 TDI Sline
So far only issue was no owners manual and the clock was not set but that's easy enough. Details tho matter and when your only job is to sell cars this should be a cake walk

Jedadiah

Veteran Member
TDI
Former: '15 Passat TDI SE 6M, '15 Golf S 6M and '10 JSW
I discovered yesterday that mine was missing a fuel filter bolt, and had a small fuel leak. The dealer I bought it from (470 miles from my house) agreed to pay the dealer closest to me (18 miles from my house) to fix it. Today, my local dealer replaced the missing bolt, one that was stripped, and installed a new fuel filter, since they had to open the canister to close it back properly.

The guy who did the filter initially must have known that he lost the bolt. My dealer had to order it,which only took a day, so the guy must've said "eff it" when they didn't have one, and moved on.

Last edited:

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
I acquired two 2015 GSW recently with about one week difference in delivery. Per invoice oil , oil/ fuel filters were changed and the brakes flushed. However, in reality I have some doubts. One of the cars have some obvious signs of oil change, some spots, wipe marks around the filter, hoses, wires that are in there. The other looks pristine like it just rolled off the assembly line, with the exception of some minor dust from sitting on the lot. I find it very hard to believe that the human hand ever touched that oil filter. Started looking at the fuel filter area and it looks pristine as well, no odor or any stains whatsoever. Of course I talked to the service manager, but for them to admit is equivalent to confession of murder. Anybody else have these discoveries?
One of your GSW doesn't happen to be the Night Blue one Dorschel had a couple weeks ago,is it? If so, I wanted it but was told it had 3 or 4 people in line for it.... if not,what dealer did you get them from? I need to double check mine,especially since I've seen 3 different oil capacities written for the '15 TDI GSW.....

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
With the propensity for dealer techs to strip ff canisters, overfill/underfill/ use the wrong spec oil, I'd actually prefer they didn't mess with it. In fact I never took the three free oil changes on my golf for that very reason.

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
One of your GSW doesn't happen to be the Night Blue one Dorschel had a couple weeks ago,is it? If so, I wanted it but was told it had 3 or 4 people in line for it.... if not,what dealer did you get them from? I need to double check mine,especially since I've seen 3 different oil capacities written for the '15 TDI GSW.....
no, mine isnt the blue one , but it was at Dorschel. The thing is it is not about the free oil change or other free stuff, its all about telling the truth. 90% of the innocent customers probably never bother removing the belly pan cover and checking what was really done, they blindly believe in what they have been told. They tried to present to me that what was written on that invoice is " the word of God", but I believe better in what I can see with my own eyes.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I haven't taken the belly pan off the Passat, but wouldn't be surprised if I found the same thing with the oil filter, even thou the paperwork says different.

b1jackson

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf - Gone in BUYBACK. Replaced with 2015 Golf
Having never changed oil in one and just to be sure, there is no way you could change oil filter without slopping some, dripping some or mess making is there?

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
Having never changed oil in one and just to be sure, there is no way you could change oil filter without slopping some, dripping some or mess making is there?
especially with the mk7 tdis , the filter is up side down on these and there are some hoses and wires in the way

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yeah def not like the CJAA where you can see the oil slick over the EGR hose wrap from the top.

In my 5 minute stare down of the engine, I couldn't even begin to locate where the filter was from the top.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
Call me OCD or untrusting, but I changed the oil on mine as soon as I got home. $60 for peace of mind. I couldn't honestly tell if the dealer had done what they were supposed to or not. My oil was halfway on the hatch-mark area of the dipstick, so no worries there, and when I did the change, I put the full six quarts of Castol LL03 in which took it right to the top of the hatch marks. I like a little insurance for a 10k interval.

Thanks for heads up on the spare. I'm going to run out and check my screw and psi right now, as I'm driving 600 miles up to Montreal on Thursday for the F1 Canadian Grand Prix.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Another FYI if you all aren't familiar with the bottom side filter on these. As somebody mentioned, you do have to unplug a coolant sensor that is in the way of the drip zone as well as relocate a wiring harness that runs underneath it. It's best to wire tie the harness out of the way once you disconnect its fitting, which is a simple plastic push-screw.

Once you have a clear path to the filter, there is a 13mm drain plug built in to the 32mm filter housing bolt. You'll want to take that drain plug off and let the canister drain out before you unscew and remove it. This saves an even worse mess. Btw, when I removed the 13mm drain plug on the filter canister, that stream hit the front of my oil pan. It wasn't a terrible mess, but you do have to do some clean-up.

This is definitely the least convenient TDI I've had for oil change. No real benefit to topside changes with a pump, as you have to get underneath it anyway.

Last edited:

AGOODHI

Veteran Member
TDI
MKVII GSW, MKVI Golf
This is definitely the least convenient TDI I've had for oil change. No real benefit to topside changes with a pump, as you have to get underneath it anyway.
first thing i noticed different when i popped the hood of the 2015 (compared to 2011), where's the oil filter? i guess i need to purchase some ramps now :mad:

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
My car was exactly the same as this. Over filled by 600mL and the spare tire was holy **** tight. I thought the plastic nut was going to break when I had to tap it loose with a hammer....
So, two people make this not a coincidence. It also took me several whacks with a rubber mallet to break the screw free. It took almost a quarter turn of whacks before it could be hand-loosened, and I'm by no means a 90 lb weakling. My spare was also 25 PSI. I inflated it to the correct 60 PSI per the sidewall instructions.

I can't thank you enough for mentioning this before my road trip to Canada. Very timely; thumbs up. :)

hooville

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS, 2016 GTI, 2015 TDI Sportwagen S
Seems to be SOP shortcuts: oil was only slightly over filled, had to use a rubber hammer to remove the spare nut and the spare was low. Don't recall the exact pressure but it wouldn't have been roadworthy. They did replace the wipers, so at least the difficult part was done! :rolleyes:

nsocwx

TDI
2015 Golf TDI Sportwagen S
So, two people make this not a coincidence. It also took me several whacks with a rubber mallet to break the screw free. It took almost a quarter turn of whacks before it could be hand-loosened, and I'm by no means a 90 lb weakling. My spare was also 25 PSI. I inflated it to the correct 60 PSI per the sidewall instructions.
I can't thank you enough for mentioning this before my road trip to Canada. Very timely; thumbs up. :)
Glad the forums could help out! I tried all sorts of things including a strap wrench before getting out the hammer that were all a waste of time. I'm glad the tire was in valve-stem down otherwise I may have just checked the pressure without actually removing the tire which would have come back to bite me.
Seems to be SOP shortcuts: oil was only slightly over filled, had to use a rubber hammer to remove the spare nut and the spare was low. Don't recall the exact pressure but it wouldn't have been roadworthy. They did replace the wipers, so at least the difficult part was done! :rolleyes:
I only knew about the overfill because the MFD warning was coming up letting me know oil was overfilled when I drove it for more than 30 minutes. At least the cruise control still works with the warning light on (I'm talking about you, Subaru).
They replaced the front wipers, but not the rear.

RichF

TDI
2015 Golf SEL Manual Platinum Gray Metallic
My spare had 20psi and I had to use a strap wrench to remove plastic hold down nut, not sure why its that tight from the factory.. Just goes to show that MOST dealers really do suck.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Especially when they need to do more to "prep" a car that pull the plastic off the body panels.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Especially when they need to do more to "prep" a car that pull the plastic off the body panels.
They don't even do that very well. On both of my MK7's, I had to pick additional white plastic from several edges, especially at the corners, and I also had protective wrapping left around by rear seat belt buckles and they left the bottom of the rear seat plastic under the seat. They just ripped the top of the plastic off without ever lifting the seat - lol.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
They don't even do that very well. On both of my MK7's, I had to pick additional white plastic from several edges, especially at the corners, and I also had protective wrapping left around by rear seat belt buckles and they left the bottom of the rear seat plastic under the seat. They just ripped the top of the plastic off without ever lifting the seat - lol.

On the Alltrack there is "glue lines" from the edge of the plastic sheets that will need a good soapy elbow grease wash to clean off, real easy to notice 2 weeks after a quick wash.

Its on the list of things to clean up.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
And my dealer pinstriped my GSW. That came off on the first weekend. There was some work required with Goo Gone to get all the adhesive off. This gave me a good reason to clay and wax though.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
I talked him down, shook his hand, said "deal". Flopped the hatch shut and the brake lens fell out!

They fixed it when I picked it up. It's been back 3x, and this last time it's staying in, but going back a 4th time, as they dented/chipped paint next to plate holder....

Sent from my One using Tapatalk