Any risk from use of Biobor biocide?

dqa

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP: 1999½ New Golf GL TDI satin silver
Perusing an old thread to find my calculations on how much Biobor to add to a tank, I found this statement from member Genesis:
Anyway, biocides ALL contain a halogenated compound. Halides are extremely corrosive things, and EAT INJECTOR TIPS, among anything else that happens to be metal in the fuel system - like injector pump plungers...

Regular use of that stuff will shorten injector life significantly, and in a distributor-pump system like is used in the pre-PD model VWs, will go after your injection pump as well.
Looking at my can of Biobor JF, it's 5% inert ingredients, 67.6% 2,2'-(1-methyltrimethylenedioxy)bis-(4-methyl-1,3,2-dioxaborinane), and 27.4% 2,2'-osybis(4,4,6-trimethyl-1,3,2-diosaborinane).

I notice that "x" is next to "s" on a keyboard, so presumably they just misspelled "oxybis" and "dioxaborinane".

None of this has any halogen. Is there anything to the accusation of damage resulting from use of biocide?

kiwibru

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2-door, 2k Silver. Red RTDI now gone but not forgotten!
I have used Biobor in off-road diesel and D2 for years to stabilize long term storage. I have never had any issues with this type of problem in tractor, farm truck or TDI.
The quantity used is so minor compared to total volume that it does not make sense they would put something so toxic to components on the market.

dqa

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP: 1999½ New Golf GL TDI satin silver
That's what I figured, especially considering my 8-year old steel Biobor can is in excellent condition with no sign of tarnishing.