Any old-timers left? (I joined in 1999.)

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon GLS 5-speed Manual
good afternoon.

I recently procured a 2003 Jetta Wagon 5-speed GLS that was meticulously maintained by the second owner, for the majority of it's 83K miles. I am used to driving and wrenching on Volkswagens, as I've been a licensed driver since 1989 and have owned several other Volkswagens (including a $35 1986 Scirocco that I drove for a couple summers, but that is another story). Currently I keep a 5-speed 1993 Cabriolet (102K) on the road whenever our abbreviated summer season allows. This TDI is my first car from the 21st Century though and I am mesmerized by the experience, needless to say I've purposely driven the long way home from work each night, hoping to catch a red light in order to prolong the fahrvergnügen. Being a Minnesota vehicle , the car has been subjected to road chemicals, subsequently there are manageable rust deposits, which I will eventually need to address either via replacement parts or some diy body work.

has anybody recommendations for sourcing used parts preferably locally in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area?

has anybody recommendations for a TDI guru, in the event I am unable to wrench on it myself?

has anybody an opinion on the quality of the AVH code engine?

thank you for any insight.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
...has anybody recommendations for sourcing used parts preferably locally in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area?

www.car-part.com

has anybody recommendations for a TDI guru, in the event I am unable to wrench on it myself?

TDIClub member greengeeker is in Cambridge, north of Minneapolis

has anybody an opinion on the quality of the AVH code engine?

Your car has an ALH, not an AVH. It is one of the most desirable/reliable TDI engines out there...

MattRabbit

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE TDI, 2014 Beetle TDI, 1981 Rabbit Diesel
Yep, I've been nosing around this site since forever and a day. I've had 3 Golfs... all diesels.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
What generation are you looking for? If it's Mk7, you can always try the online places like CarMax / TrueCar - a couple guys over on the Mk7 sub-forum have found cars there.

Keep your eyes on the "TDIs For Sale" forum here, too; they do show up occasionally.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gary Miyakawa

Admin Emeritus
TDI
1998 NB TDI
Thanks, I've been watching cargurus and cars.com .... I'd be open to something in the GSW or A3 wagen ....

Thanks for the suggestions!

Gary M

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Keep in mind the A3 hatchback is basically a VW Golf. So, cargo/size-wise, it's going to be smaller with less capacity than the GSW - A3 pretty much the same capacity as the Golf Golf.

We own both, and previously owned a Mk7 Golf, too. If you looking for a vehicle and are eyeing the wagon for its size / gear-hauling capability, I think you'll be disappointed with the A3.

Gary Miyakawa

Admin Emeritus
TDI
1998 NB TDI
THANK YOU for the comments.. You are correct about the A3.. We travel a bit down to Florida (from Atlanta) pretty often. Sometimes, with a bunch of Scuba gear so... We would need the extra room of the GSW...

Darn, I've always wanted an Audi... Oh well.... Maybe next time.. ;) ;)

Gary M

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
20 years 20 years 20 years.... From PeterV and Tomo.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Was actually posting in 1997 in the 1st message board so it will be 23years in June......I still have my last 2 Fests Best in Show 2015 Jetta SEL TDI 6 Speed Manual and all available Options plus some of my own! Wife’s everyday Driver! Mine is 2014 CPO BMW 328D XDrive! 2.0 Ltr 180 HP Turbo Diesel.....Love it!

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
Is the definition of old timers over 20 years or are 16 years good enough?

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Gotta be at least 17 or it doesn't count ;p

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
What do we get when if we make it to old-timer? Is there a cool mug or t-shirt or something?

LagoonBlueTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6sp
No longer have a TDI, but check in here every once in a while. Would like another go at a new diesel car, but may not happen in my lifetime.

I guess I'm also an old timer on the MB forums, having long since given my beloved old 240D to a good friend before I moved away (and could not take the car with me).

I wonder what ever happened to some of the real old timers who got kicked off, like Ric Woodruff and Mickey....?

where2

Veteran Member
TDI
One '13 JSW_TDI & One '04 Variant_TDI
I guess I technically belong to this "old timer" club, despite the fact that I don't feel like it should be that way... It has been more than 20 years I've been kicking around this website, despite not buying a TDI until 2006. (I like to do my homework)

Still have my 2004 Jetta Wagon TDI (BEW), and the wife's 2013 Jetta SportWagen TDI. However, the 2019 e-Golf I picked up last summer is such a blast to drive that I haven't needed to refuel the 2004 since Labor Day...

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
That's a long time for any vehicle to sit. You need to get it out and blow the cobwebs out of everything.

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 GOLF 2DR, ‘15 Passat SEL TDI
I took the old Golf out today for a spin. Hasn’t left the barn in 3 months. Bought a 15 Passat last summer and haven’t been driving the golf. It was a good day to blow the cobwebs out of it

dogdots

Vendor
TDI
None
I drive my 335d 38 miles per week round trip to the airport. I filled it up a few months ago and still have over 1/4 tank:p

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta and 99.5 Golf, 2015 Passat TDI,BMW 2
I've been here since 00 and I still have my alhs and few other tdis, so I'm part of the OG here

BigAndy

Veteran Member
TDI
99 A3
My 99 A3 got 'rusted' with the odo at 450,000km. I just found a rust free 98 so I'll be around a while longer :)

John Beyer

Veteran Member
TDI
Two 1998 Jettas, Classic Green and White TDI/GT, 1996 Passat Wgn, White, 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver
Hey BigAndy, way to go finding a rust free A3. I have one too that was a GT. They're getting pretty rare, especially up North.