any ideas alt ac wp on serp?

BigVWman

Veteran Member
Apex, NC soon to be back in the mitten of doom!
TDI
A1 cabriolet tdi and 01 nb tdi and countless gassers!
Hello, i have a 97 passat 1z that i am prepping for install into a project and i was hoping somebody had an idea for this. The waterpump is currently running off vbelt with power steering and serp runs ac and alt but i am deleting ps and would like to run water pump off serp set-up any ideas? Tried just adding the aaz pulley but it misses belt completely! any thoughts?

gschwenk

TDI
'97 Passat TDI
Without major reworking of the bracket and creating a flange in order to facilitate moving the water pump you're out of luck I'm afraid. You can try to find a different waterpump that is shorter to align it with the serp belt...I think you're better off leaving it as is and just getting a shorter belt and figure out some other tensioning mechanism. The easiest solution of all is to leave the steering pump and just put a closed loop on it so the pump stays cool/lubed.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H
Remove the relief spring in the PS pump so it circulates without building pressure against the spring. Loop the out and in ports with a small reservoir to accomodate thermal PS fluid expansion.

Or diassemble the PS pump to remove the guts. Leave the empty shell, shaft and belt pulley in place with only enough fluid in the shell to wet the bearing.