Any experiences with X-man VNT 17/26?

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
That is between $600 and $700 usd for the turbos that came up in my search. Not sure if the VAT comes in to effect at that price, along with some small transaction fees, depending how you finance, Some things to consider.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
About 250 bucks give or take for each letter of an acronym that 99.9% of people wouldn't have a clue what it means - sure, not bad I guess.

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
WOW that sounds pretty cheap ....of course I don't know what is involved with overseas orders.

I wonder how that turbo acts (when boost comes on / lag / etc) VS say a VNT 15 VS a VNT 17 VS a VNT 17/22 ?

Andrew

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
Its an upgraded 17/22. Seems the general consensus is to go with a 17/26 for less surge and better top end. Problem is they are running $1200+. They will support 200+ whp and 26 psi supposedly.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
The pictures show a VNT-15 cold side, so I am not sure about its 17/22 heritage. I thought the original 17/22 came in a van quite a few years back, and was not plug and play for today's TDI's. I have a 17/56 with a VNT-15 cold side and a billet compressor wheel, it spools great down low and solid to redline The thing about using a VNT-17 core is the "17" and the "15" both have the same shaft and 26 PSI is the absolute max. Granted, the hybrid moves more air, and thereby produces more boost at a lower shaft RPM, but 26 PSI is 26 PSI regardless of the shaft speed. Unless I am wrong.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Last time I checked G-pop shop makes hybrids and the price was $450.00 or so. There is a turbo that looks just like the one in your picture at Kerma for $1695.00, the turbo has a VNT-15 cold side. Kerma calls it a 17/56, but it has a 52mm comp wheel not a 56mm comp wheel, so it is not a "56" of anything. It says their "secret" comp wheel flows like a 55mm comp wheel. Once again, no parts are 56mm anything.

Get yourself a non- functional VNT-17, a VNT-15 cold side and call Turbo Lab of America. For $500.00 (last time I checked) they will build and machine whatever hybrid you want, mine is over 4 years old and still works just like new.

Last edited:

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I just checked the Pound Sterling in USD 893.00 Pound Sterling is $668.00, without shipping or anything else. So basically $900.00 USD to equal the $668.00 in Scotland. Phew!

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
Last time I checked G-pop shop makes hybrids and the price was $450.00 or so. There is a turbo that looks just like the one in your picture at Kerma for $1695.00, the turbo has a VNT-15 cold side. Kerma calls it a 17/56, but it has a 52mm comp wheel not a 56mm comp wheel, so it is not a "56" of anything. It says their "secret" comp wheel flows like a 55mm comp wheel. Once again, no parts are 56mm anything.

Get yourself a non- functional VNT-17, a VNT-15 cold side and call Turbo Lab of America. For $500.00 (last time I checked) they will build and machine whatever hybrid you want, mine is over 4 years old and still works just like new.
Hi,

Since you've already gone hybrid, I think I read on Kerma's site about their hybrid potentially having a better boost map and efficiency at highway speeds allowing for possibly better MPGs .... did you notice a MPG increase when going from stock to a hybrid if not driving aggressively?

I'm considering a hybrid as a means of better fuel efficiency through better flow / less restriction.

Thanks

Andrew

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Andrew, lower exhaust temperatures are always a good thing. Having a slightly larger comp wheel machined into the VNT-15/17, manifold, with the correct tune and billet wheel works great. At the same shaft speed with a larger comp wheel theoretically the turbo will make more boost, and faster spool which is a good thing for longevity of the turbo.
You don't have to spend $1695.00 to get the hybrid of your choice, but you need to do some shopping around and decide what size wheel how many blades you want in your comp side.

This video is my actual turbo. He fixed the heat shield install error in the video.

Last edited: