Any body install a short shifter or want to know about my cheap solution?

Peter Cheuk

Gasser :P
TDI
'06 Jetta GLI
Has anybody installed a short shift kit from either Neuspeed or AWE? What are your impressions? How long are your throws from third to fourth? I'm trying to get a comparison between my mod and an established 'tuner' mod.

I shortened my shifter throws inexpensively by buying a single part from the dealer and cutting and rewelding to shorten an arm in the mechanism and got an approx 30% reduction all for $11 compared to Neuspeed's $300 and AWE's $180.

My throws are about 4" from third to fourth. That's measured at the top of the shift knob. My shift lever is shortened 1.25" so it would be about 4.5 inches with a stock lever.

------------------
'98 Jetta TDi with Hopa Module and custom short shifter

Clay

Veteran Member
TDI
03 wagon
Yes, and Yes

I have the AWE shifter in my TDi and the Neuspeed shifter in my GTi. The AWE shifter reduced throws by 50% and the Neuspeed reduced throws by 45%. I havent actually measured the difference, thats just what the manufactures claim, and it seems to follow through. I love them both but would recommend the AWE shifter because it's half the price of the Neuspeed. Making your own sounds even better to me! If I only had the tools

Clay
97 Jetta TDi mit Wett chips
95 GTi VR6

colucci

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 1998 Green
Eleven dollars?!? Why I only paid $5 for my shifter mod
I bought a 12x1.5 metric die, threaded the shifter rod about 2" more, cut off 1" with a hack-saw and re-attached the shift knob. The whole process took 1/2 hour and cost me $5. I really like the mod.

D'nardo

------------------
Smokin into the new millenium...
98 Jetta TDI mit Wetterauer chip

Peter Cheuk

TDI
'06 Jetta GLI
But, D'nardo, you've only shortened the shift lever resulting in slightly shorter throws. What I'm talking about is shortening the throws without shortening the shift lever. Neuspeed and AWE make kits to replace the shifter mechanism in the interior of your car with a stock length shift lever and shorter throws. With my mod in addition to the neuspeed or AWE, you'd get even shorter throws.

------------------

Knudsen

Peter,

Did you modify the arm of the gearbox? I made such modification without new parts or welding. I removed the heavy weight of the gearbox mechanism to get the space for mounting the back-and-forward kabel closer to the middle of the arm. I just drilled a new hole in the arm and made thread in it. The position was proper chosen so it works fine.

Jimmy

Veteran Member
Colucci : Did you do your mod with the stick still attached to the car or did you remove the stick?

I am going to shorten the stick slightley but I do not want metal chips or the turning stress causing a problem in the mechanism.

Peter Cheuk

TDI
'06 Jetta GLI
Knudsen, I thought about doing that, too. Got frustrated with trying to figure out exactly where to drill it. Bought the part and shortened it and now shorter shifts. Today, I went to the ND car show and tried out two cars with the AWE short shifter and I have to say that my mod is almost as short for less than 1/10th the cost. Maybe I'll get the AWE and make another (not so short) short arm to get exactly 3" throws.

Jimmy, I, too, cut my lever (plus my other mod gives 4.25" at the top of the lever from 3-4). I placed a newspaper around the lever and taped it to the lever and held it with a vice-grip and hacked away. No ill effects so far.

------------------