Any 02j internal gear experts here?

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
I've been looking at rpms, gear ratio's etc, and I've come up with a hybrid trans. I've never had a VW trans apart but used to rebuild manuals, so that is not an issue.

I have a 1.8T EHA trans and a 1.9 EUH trans. I want to use 1-2-3 from the EHA and put them in the EHU case. I find 1st gear is damn near useless, this would give me a lower 1st gear with a better 2-3 spread.

TIA.

Edit, I know the gear ratio's, I need to know if the gears, shafts etc will swap into the EUH trans with the EUH 4th gear.

Last edited:

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur

FJ40Jim

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Golf GLS 5MT, '12 JSW DSG
If they are both 02J trannies, then yes, the gearset from one can go in the case of another. I just rebuilt a hybrid box using a 2001 Argentine shifters and some gears, and a 2003 German case, some gears, output shaft, diff. It was all 02J, so it worked. Surprisingly well, considering they were made on 2 different continents.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If they are both 02J trannies, then yes, the gearset from one can go in the case of another. I just rebuilt a hybrid box using a 2001 Argentine shifters and some gears, and a 2003 German case, some gears, output shaft, diff. It was all 02J, so it worked. Surprisingly well, considering they were made on 2 different continents.
Awesome, if I ever get the time, lol, I'll do it and post up the results. :D

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
iirc 1 and 2 are cut directly into the input shaft, so you can't mix and match them, gotta use 1-2 together from whatever box you choose
the rest all press off the shafts individually so you can use any combination of gears past those two

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
iirc 1 and 2 are cut directly into the input shaft, so you can't mix and match them, gotta use 1-2 together from whatever box you choose
the rest all press off the shafts individually so you can use any combination of gears past those two
That works as I need 1 and 2. Thanks.