Antiskid is trying to kill me....

jimigunne

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI BRM
There is a malfunction of anti-skid system occurring now. But not the result of working on lh drive
Axle and suspension. My son had told me prior to this work on car that once or twice the anti-skid light had flashed on and the steering wheel moved/veered.... but i could not duplicate problem. Now i am. In 50 miles of highway driving it usually only flashes on for a second maybe twice. But the steering veers hard to the right every time, forcing me to correct very hard to the left. Very unsafe! I have vcds which i can run on a laptop. What codes do i look for? Since its suddenly pulling to right every time, which wheel speed sensor should i check? I wish there was a way to temporarily disable this safety feature....its unsafe! It is bumps on the road that set it off, yes....but every time its been minor bumps.....while hitting major bumps or ruts so far has not caused the anti-skid/ swerving problem.
Yes, i know that the anti-skid system is sensitive and so its normal for the light to flash sometimes....but i think not for such small bumps, and especially for the car to swerve strongly to the right!

jimigunne

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI BRM
I suppose the swerve to right is just what it should do, trying to counteract an erroneous skid being sensed. Maybe its the sensor. I know this is buried somewhere in the dash....how is it accessed and are replacents readily available?

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Run a full scan, that should give you any codes that the ecu is sensing, then you can scan that specific sub system if needed.

You probably have a bad wheel speed sensor or dirty/bent sensor ring.

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 1999.5 jettaIV,2005 BEW Beetle
If you disconnect a wheel sensor it should disable the function. The system can not determine if you are skidding if it does not get feedback from all the wheel sensors.

You might check the axle bolt to make sure that it is not loose and causing the wheel to change the proximity between the sensor and the tone wheel. Another possibility is if the sensor is not fully seated in it's bore. It may be on the threshold of picking up the signal and small variations in distance could cause the ABS to trip.

Logging the wheels speeds with VCDS should help to identify a rogue wheel. I believe that it is group 2 in the measuring blocks of the ABS controller.

jimigunne

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI BRM
Oh yea, not braking. Seems like the fact that it always veers to the right should tell me which speed sensor to check, right? It will be a while before i can run vcds. Thanks!

Warthog

Veteran Member
TDI
see Bio
At least your ABS did not apply the brakes!

Here is what happened on my 2005 TDI:
I have a bad left-front wheel sensor (VCDS says) and the ABS light has been lit off and on for a while.
Yesterday, Aug 15, I was going along at 45mph and suddenly the ABS light started flashing and the brakes applied all by themselves! . I had a "fun" time fighting the car to a safe position on the road. I got the brakes to RELEASE by stomping on the brake pedal! Then I returned home and although the light came on, I did not have the unwanted braking again.

I'd like to disable the ABS until I can get the repair work done but it appears fuse #9 not only supplies power to the ABS but also some other engine control functions. There is also a second fuse, #42, listed for the ABS only.

I need to use the car NOW...This appears to be another of those "safety systems" that is dangerous when it malfunctions! Like the crashbags with the warning..."This safety thing can injure or kill you".