Anti-gel additive for diesel in NC?

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
Long stretch of COLD weather in central NC (below freezing from saturday until wednesday) and several mornings in the teens or less. I have a pair of tdis: '14 passat and '13 beetle. What fuel additive is recommended so the diesel wont gel? I'm loving the passat's remote start (it seems to shift/run better after warming up a bit). Both are dsg and have been emission modified, also they are outside (no garage).

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
+1 I just add one bottle of powerservice to 100 gallons of diesel.

TDI smile

Veteran Member
Edmonton, Alberta (b4 BC - LOWER MAINLAND = Chilli
TDI
2002 TDI (ALH) with 513,000 km. First Owner and very happy... No Problems, never left us stranded on the Highway. Average useage is about between under 4 ltr. and 5 ltr. Normal longdistance travel: 4.1/100

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
It's not COLD enough for the white bottle... Live here in Edmonton, Alberta and I use nothing, but the car is parked overnight in an unheated garage....

For you the silver bottle should be ok... DIESEL KLEEN!
But are apples being compared to apples here? I'm thinking that there may be al whole lot more winterizing of the fuel itself in Alberta as opposed to North Carolina.....

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
But are apples being compared to apples here? I'm thinking that there may be al whole lot more winterizing of the fuel itself in Alberta as opposed to North Carolina.....
Absolutely, it’s possible some stations in NC don’t even realize diesel needs to be winterized. Power service, the white bottle, less than $10 at Walmart.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Definitely use the Power Service white, it won't hurt a bit.

Even here in Maine where the fuel is heavily treated (I'm down to 42 mpg from 50), I've rescued a number of people with gelled fuel. They all now use the PSW and none have had it happen again.

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
I used to keep a bottle of Diesel 9-1-1 handy too, since you never know. ;)

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Absolutely, it’s possible some stations in NC don’t even realize diesel needs to be winterized. Power service, the white bottle, less than $10 at Walmart.
FYI, ALL FUEL in any region comes from a single distribution source, winterized/additized (is that a word???) accordingly, across ALL brands. Individual stations don't control winterizing additives.

NC fuel is winterized for well below freezing temps. Someone might want to post a map showing the rate of winterization across various temp zones (similar to a zone map for plant growing seasons.

Hope this helps...adding appropriate amounts of silver/white won't hurt, might give you peace of mind.

Jb22

TDI
2015 Passat DSG
Are you all using the VW Diesel fuel nozzle adapter to get the additive in the tank?

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Are you all using the VW Diesel fuel nozzle adapter to get the additive in the tank?
I just use some small bottles I got when I bought a gallon of additive years back...not PS, though.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
FYI, ALL FUEL in any region comes from a single distribution source, winterized/additized (is that a word???) accordingly, across ALL brands. Individual stations don't control winterizing additives.
NC fuel is winterized for well below freezing temps. Someone might want to post a map showing the rate of winterization across various temp zones (similar to a zone map for plant growing seasons.
Hope this helps...adding appropriate amounts of silver/white won't hurt, might give you peace of mind.

True enough, however with the record setting cold we’re having gelling in some of the normally warmer areas is not out of the question. Fuel is winterized by zone or region, and that does change by the month. There is a map floating around this site somewhere.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
its not winterized here, Oregon's B5 and B20 cant get near zero, I poured some in a pickle jar and threw it in our freezer- was able to turn it upside down- complete solid like a candle. This causes issues as some drivers fill up with non winterized B20 down in town where its 55F and head up skiing where its well below freezing.

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
It's cheap insurance using an additive. I also used to carry a spare fuel filter and the tools to change it,

Mark_J

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI Passat SEL Premium, 2017 Fiat Spider, 2017 Ford F350 6.7 Diesel crew cab PU, 2016 Harley Trike, 2016 Tesla Model X P90D (I know went to the dark side)
It has to get very cold for diesel to gel. I work in a hydrocracker unit and we make diesel and jet. The target freeze of the diesel in the summer is +20F, but in the winter the target can be as low as -54F, which should keep it from gelling up. But some are correct here, some companies have the distributer add anti gelling additives to their diesel before it is delivered to their stations. Also even the southern diesel freeze target is just as low as ours because a semi can fill up in a southern state and arrive in a very cold state on that same tank of diesel. We start making winter diesel early in the fall to make sure it is available when the cold weather hits. I have driven in -25 F without any issues. I am 64 and been driving and operating diesel equipment all my life and the only time I had diesel gel was at -48F. But I do add a dose of Stanadyne, but not so much for anti gelling, but for the lubrication qualities, especially with the ultra low sulfur diesel today.

hiroler

TDI
2010 Jetta, 2015 Passat SE
My 2015 Passat TDI with 11k miles would not start yesterday in NJ. 10k service recently done. It cranked to 1k rpm’s then shut off. No error codes. I cycled multiple times and it absolutely would not turn over.

It was about 6 degrees and 20 mph winds. I assume I need the white bottle to get the car running? Is there any use in calling roadside assistance? I’m in DC right now, had to get the 435 convertible out :|

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Once the fuel has gelled, you need to warm the fuel above it's cloud point before the PS white bottle will mix and be effective. If that's not possibe, you need the PS red bottle 911 treatment. Are you sure the battery isn't the problem?

Last edited:

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Wouldn't there be more cars failing than the 2 or 3 posting here, if it is a gelling issue? We're not discussing -20f here.

Skimax

Veteran Member
TDI
97 B4 variant(retired at 330K), 2000 B5 1.8T passat retired, 2013 SE (buyback5/17) 2015 SEL, 2015 E-Golf SEL sold March 2019, 2018 Volt LT and a 2007 PRHT MX5 for fun
I have heard of quite a few in Mass and New Hampshire

-26F here this AM. No issues starting/running our 15 SEL no additive used and it's been below freezing and frequently below 0F here for weeks.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
-26F here this AM. No issues starting/running our 15 SEL no additive used and it's been below freezing and frequently below 0F here for weeks.
I didn't get a flat tire today, but I still carry a spare, just in case. I have a mason jar filled with pump diesel for my tractor sitting outside during this cold snap. It hasn't clouded or gelled down into the -20's- so apparently it's been treated sufficiently. Been adding PS white to my car for extra margin. Messing with filters and such in arctic cold is not my idea of fun. :)

hiroler

TDI
2010 Jetta, 2015 Passat SE
My 2015 Passat TDI with 11k miles would not start yesterday in NJ. 10k service recently done. It cranked to 1k rpm’s then shut off. No error codes. I cycled multiple times and it absolutely would not turn over.

It was about 6 degrees and 20 mph winds. I assume I need the white bottle to get the car running? Is there any use in calling roadside assistance? I’m in DC right now, had to get the 435 convertible out :|
I got back to NJ today. It’s 15 degrees now and it started right up. The coil light continued flashing and the car was making a loud high pitched squeeking noise so I shut it off.

Anyone think it’s safe to drive now? I guess I will call the dealership in the AM. To be honest I get my fuel from a very small Delta gas station in Somerset NJ that may not have had a delivery in a while.

Last edited:

inthered

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
I got back to NJ today. It’s 15 degrees now and it started right up. The coil light continued flashing and the car was making a loud high pitched squeeking noise so I shut it off.

Anyone think it’s safe to drive now? I guess I will call the dealership in the AM. To be honest I get my fuel from a very small Delta gas station in Somerset NJ that may not have had a delivery in a while.

Sounds like you and I had very similar problems.

I was fine today (see other thread). I wouldn’t worry if I were you.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Being that the Passat in my sig is our first diesel, I took it as a matter of faith after reading several threads here that a winter additive is good insurance. I used Opti-Lube XPD for 3 years, and since have been using PS White (which is easier to get). I have had no problems at all. This is by far the worst winter temperaturees the car's seen, and I admit I've been running an increased dosage of PS since it went down to -11F.
The other reason I always use an additive is to boost lubrication, since I live in a state where there may be more biodiesel in the mix. All the pumps say "5-20%," which isn't very specific.

Last edited: