Another what to replace with my timing belt question(AHU)

ytk

TDI
MK3
Hi, Planing a timing belt replacement soon, my first one in this car with around 400K km (about 250K miles) . My engine is not an ahu but all the parts involved cross fit and that is confirmed.Planing on keeping the car for the long run. Will probably get the kit from Cascadegerman which includes:

Genuine VW Gates Timing Belt --- 028109119P
Genuine VW Litens Tensioner --- 028109243F
OEM SKF Top Roller --- 028109244
OEM Continental Serpentine Belt --- 6PK1145
OEM Continental Power Steering Belt --- 11.5X790
OEM Victor Reinz Valve Cover Gasket --- 028103483G
Intermediate Shaft O-ring --- N90353501
2x OEM Victor Reinz Cam Seals --- 068103085E
2x Water Flange O-rings (sometimes included with pump) --- 037121687
Upgraded Water pump with metal impeller --- 026121005H
Upgraded METAL Water Pump Gasket --- 026121041M/P
Serpentine Belt Tensioner --- 028903315R
Accessory Belt Tensioner Pulley ---028145278E
4 Harmonic Balancer Bolts --- N90308605
Crank Pulley Bolt --- N90577101

The only thing im thinking of not getting with the kit is the water pump. The kit offers a Geba water pump 30$, The genuine VW is around 100$. Just from comparing photos of the two you can see some differences, mainly in how smooth the impeller is. Is it worth it ?

More thoughts:
Genuine thermostat
Upgraded aluminium thermostat flange
Serpentine Belt Tensioner Arm Bushings (maybe also the arm?)
Coolant hoses?
Any other recommendations ?

Thanks!

Last edited:

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
That kit looks good.

I probably would do the water pump too if I was already elbow deep in the engine. There's not really much more work to do it when you have everything apart already plus you'll have piece of mind.

I personally don't believe the plastic thermostat housing is all that much of an issue provided you run the correct coolant and install a new one whenever you have it opened up.

The serpentine tensioner bushings would be a good idea. You probably don't need an arm unless yours is trashed.

If you do hoses replace the plastic coupler that connects to the thermostat housing too.

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Problem with the T-Stat housing is separating the halves - pain in the backside. I would buy them new just so that I would not have to separate another set.

I assume that you are getting the main crank pulley bolt so that you can remove the crank sprocket and check the mating "D" surface. If that is the case, I would also get a new crank sprocket. They are cheap, and I find new ones have less play on them then used. Given the nature of this engine to potentially have issues with the sprocket to crank mating surfaces, I consider a new sprocket to be cheap insurance.

Other than that, not related to the timing belt, I would also get a new vac pump-to-block o-ring, and the oring that seals the top of the pump. I would also get a new plastic snorkel, oring and gasket for the oil cooler, the two three-way hoses under the injection pump, a new injection pump seal kit...

Intake gasket for when you clean out the intake...

Rear main seal... New clutch... 6 speed conversion kit...

Tell me when to stop...:D

ytk

TDI
MK3
Ha ha! Thats funny! Thanks for the input!Will check that thermostat housing. What about the water pump? Do you think there is a difference Geba VS OEM?