Another Unleaded in TDI Tank. Please help!!

TDIFLA

TDI
Jetta
Another Unleaded gas in TDI Post. Please help!!

Long story short......
Put RUG in my 2006 Jetta TDI. Ran for a minute and died in the carwash of all places, had towed to dealer.....$500 later, fixed, or so I thought.

1 week later, died at red light and I had it towed to dealer once again. Car started right up for them and I was told there was nothing to fix.

The next week, same problem, same result....nothing to fix.

2 days ago, same thing. Just sits there and cranks. Had it towed once again and after 2 days at the dealer, they are telling me that the only thing they can come up with is the check valve in the fuel pump assembly is bad and needs to be replaced for $600. They said they are confident this will keep it running, but won't guarantee it.

Has anyone had a fuel mistake go this far? Most of the posts I've read are saying once the gas was pumped and the lines were cleaned, no problems. Not me!!!!
I'm really stuck and can't find any answers

Thanks in advance from this newbie

Brian

Nutsnbolts

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2000 Jetta, Silver Arrow
3 questions for you-

1) About how far did you run with the unleaded in it?

2) What was the dilution of gas to diesel? (was the tank empty and then filled with gas?)

3) Forgive my ignorance here- are the 2006 models still PD unit injectors, or had they gone to common rail in this model year? Now that I think about it, it probably doesn't make a lot of difference.

I'm thinking that the unit injectors may have been worn excessively, so that when they get hot, and run at slower pumping speeds, they cannot build enough internal pressure to overcome the pintle spring seat pressure in the tip. However, this is unlikely if the car wasn't driven far, or if the fuel dilution was minimal.

What I think is more possible is that the lift pump in the tank is on the fritz for some reason. It may not have anything to do with the gas, but those pumps are lubricated by the fuel as well, so it very well could be the source of the trouble. That would be my #1 pick.

-Rich

Last edited:

DrewD

Veteran Member
Could you go to another dealer and get a second opinion? That's what I'd do.

TDIFLA

TDI
Jetta
Nutsnbolts said:
3 questions for you-

1) About how far did you run with the unleaded in it?

2) What was the dilution of gas to diesel? (was the tank empty and then filled with gas?)

3) Forgive my ignorance here- are the 2006 models still PD unit injectors, or had they gone to common rail in this model year? Now that I think about it, it probably doesn't make a lot of difference.

I'm thinking that the unit injectors may have been worn excessively, so that when they get hot, and run at slower pumping speeds, they cannot build enough internal pressure to overcome the pintle spring seat pressure in the tip. However, this is unlikely if the car wasn't driven far, or if the fuel dilution was minimal.

What I think is more possible is that the lift pump in the tank is on the fritz for some reason. It may not have anything to do with the gas, but those pumps are lubricated by the fuel as well, so it very well could be the source of the trouble. That would be my #1 pick.

-Rich
It ran for no more than a couple of minutes. From the pump to the carwash.

I put a full tank of unleaded in it.

Thanks for the info!

As far as taking it to another dealer....by the time I spend the money to have it towed and pay to have it looked at (the dealership it's at is doing all this for free on account the "fixed" it the first time) it could cost me more.

DanEboy

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS 2000 Auto
So what did the dealer do the first time they had it?
If they removed the lift pump/pickup from the tank in order to remove the RUG, maybe they messed up the pump or electrical connector to the pump. Or the RUG hurt the pump. I don't think the injectors are at fault.
To test the theory that your not getting fuel up to the injectors you could tee in a fuel pressure gauge and monitor fuel pressure right before the engine. If the car cuts out when the fuel pressure drops then either the pump is bad or it's not getting power.
I've had station attendants try to put gas in my TDI, but how do you do that to yourself? Was alcohol involved? Sorry, I had to ask.

TDIFLA

TDI
Jetta
DanEboy said:
So what did the dealer do the first time they had it?
If they removed the lift pump/pickup from the tank in order to remove the RUG, maybe they messed up the pump or electrical connector to the pump. Or the RUG hurt the pump. I don't think the injectors are at fault.
To test the theory that your not getting fuel up to the injectors you could tee in a fuel pressure gauge and monitor fuel pressure right before the engine. If the car cuts out when the fuel pressure drops then either the pump is bad or it's not getting power.
I've had station attendants try to put gas in my TDI, but how do you do that to yourself? Was alcohol involved? Sorry, I had to ask.
No booze here! It was 9am and I just had too much on my mind (getting married, work)and this paticular gas station had GREEN boots on the pump that made me think diesel.

Dick_Larimore

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 GL Passat & '05 GLS Passat & '05 Beetle TDI
Not Likely a Check Valve Problem

The dealer should rethink the check valve fix. If the vehicle died while sitting at idle, why would the check valve be a problem? The electric fuel pump was on and working at the time. A check valve keeps fuel from flowing back into the tank when the engine is shut off. Therefore, it could not be the problem. Second, if the vehicle "started right up" for the dealer and it would not restart for you, how could the check valve be the problem?

Was the dealer able to easily restart the vehicle on more than one occasion after a no-start episode for you? Gasoline mixes completely with diesel fuel. I can think of no reason why gasoline should "plug up" a fuel filter and cause an intermittent no start. Perhaps the dealer should go back over everything they disconnected during the repair, including all electrical connections in the fuel pump circuit, and make sure their reconnections are not at fault.

It is possible that the misfuel has nothing to do with the current intermittent no-start problem.