another toyota conversion

410onefour

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi wagon, 1991 toyota mtdi
Hey everyone,
I want to share my project with fellow tdi lovers. I've been reading thru the forums for quite some time now and I'm ready to join in.

So I've recently started my current project which is installing a tdi into a 1990 toyota sr5. I've ordered the acme kit and should arrive next week sometime. I'm still collecting parts on the engine side of things so I've got a ways to go. The plan is to use the aaz block with iz pistons, head, lines etc.. with a mechanical pump. Lots of work ahead of me and help will be requested along the way.

Last edited:

JaysinSpaceman

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
I look forward to seeing another Yota conversion It is what I am gathering parts and info for myself. Why are you useng the engine parts combo that you are, would it not be easier to find a complete TDI to start with, either 1Z or ALH? What are you going to do for M-Injector Pump, I am starting down the path of the 4bt ve pump and I think it will work well as long as I get a few things sorted out. Good luck on your build, I'll be watching for progress. Jaysin

410onefour

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, I chose to go this route because I have a complete AAZ engine with a busted head. I'm not an expert when it comes to this stuff so feel free correct any of my remarks. The design of the IZ block seems to lend itself a little better to a rear wheel drive conversion like this. The vaccum pump would be a problem on the ALH due to its location. I don't think there would be enough room between the back of the head and the firewall.

Some people have suggested fixing or replacing the busted head(keyway on crank caused failure) on the AAZ would be the most economical way to go and I really can't argue that point. On the other hand, the ambition to do this project is to have a direct injection engine in this little truck. I don't mind spending a little more to end up with a TDI.

Now if I could get a complete IZ block for a reasonable price I would definitely go that route but for some reason they seem to be few and far between out here in western Canada. Maybe I'm not looking in the right places. If anyone knows of where I should be looking it would be greatly appreciated. I have someone looking for me in Ontario for IZ parts(head, valve cover, injection lines,and delivery valves) for the AAZ so we'll see how that works out. ALH's don't seem to be a problem but that's not what I'm looking for.

As far as the M-TDI pump is concerned, the plan is to use the AAZ pump with the tdi camplate and a 11mm or 12mm rotor. I prefer to go computerless just for the simplicity. Only if I had a donor car would I go that route. I haven't disassembled this pump yet so I don't know if it's the 17mm shaft. Even if it is I'll still try the 11mm rotor. I'm pretty familiar with these pumps so the mechanical advance issues are not a big concern. I do plan on shimming the governer lever springs slightly to achieve some fueling up to 4000 rpm. I'm hoping that this number is realistic. Not looking for huge HP but want enough jam to be a fun daily driver.

Progress is still in the early stages but here's where I'm at.
-Purchased 1991 toy sr5 4x4 22re 5spd.
-Acme adapter kit. Only took a week for shipping!
-Started custom remote oil filter kit...engine side is done.
-Started building motor mounts. Thanks e*clipse for all the great ideas.
-IZ pistons on hand.
-TDI pulley on its way. Crank needs welding and machining for new pulley.
-I've cut and redisigned the oil pan so I can get the motor a little lower into the engine bay and also moved the drain plug to the back.

410onefour

Veteran Member
TDI
I've completed my remote oil filter setup except for crimping the lines. I won't do that until the motor is installed. I noticed that I cannot add attachments to my posts. Does anyone know what is required for this? Is their possibly a donation required or is it because I'm a newbie?:confused:

greg123

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, now Pug 405 TD, later Passat again!
That won't be an m-tdi pump. That will be an m-idi pump with 2 bits bolted on. The timing advance will be all wrong and if you look at giles posts/the info on the GTD forum you'll see that unless you want an engine that runs naff under load (but idles okay) then you would be far, far better off using an actual m-tdi pump.

A good solution would be the pump off a Land Rover 200/300 tdi engine, it's mtdi and needs little work to fit in. It's 10mm, which of course you can change if you wish or you could use the pump off the 2.8 litre LT engine which is 11mm and may be the same as some Iveco/Sofim pre CR engines if you want to explore further.

Greg.

410onefour said:
Well, I chose to go this route because I have a complete AAZ engine with a busted head. I'm not an expert when it comes to this stuff so feel free correct any of my remarks. The design of the IZ block seems to lend itself a little better to a rear wheel drive conversion like this. The vaccum pump would be a problem on the ALH due to its location. I don't think there would be enough room between the back of the head and the firewall.

Some people have suggested fixing or replacing the busted head(keyway on crank caused failure) on the AAZ would be the most economical way to go and I really can't argue that point. On the other hand, the ambition to do this project is to have a direct injection engine in this little truck. I don't mind spending a little more to end up with a TDI.

Now if I could get a complete IZ block for a reasonable price I would definitely go that route but for some reason they seem to be few and far between out here in western Canada. Maybe I'm not looking in the right places. If anyone knows of where I should be looking it would be greatly appreciated. I have someone looking for me in Ontario for IZ parts(head, valve cover, injection lines,and delivery valves) for the AAZ so we'll see how that works out. ALH's don't seem to be a problem but that's not what I'm looking for.

As far as the M-TDI pump is concerned, the plan is to use the AAZ pump with the tdi camplate and a 11mm or 12mm rotor. I prefer to go computerless just for the simplicity. Only if I had a donor car would I go that route. I haven't disassembled this pump yet so I don't know if it's the 17mm shaft. Even if it is I'll still try the 11mm rotor. I'm pretty familiar with these pumps so the mechanical advance issues are not a big concern. I do plan on shimming the governer lever springs slightly to achieve some fueling up to 4000 rpm. I'm hoping that this number is realistic. Not looking for huge HP but want enough jam to be a fun daily driver.

Progress is still in the early stages but here's where I'm at.
-Purchased 1991 toy sr5 4x4 22re 5spd.
-Acme adapter kit. Only took a week for shipping!
-Started custom remote oil filter kit...engine side is done.
-Started building motor mounts. Thanks e*clipse for all the great ideas.
-IZ pistons on hand.
-TDI pulley on its way. Crank needs welding and machining for new pulley.
-I've cut and redisigned the oil pan so I can get the motor a little lower into the engine bay and also moved the drain plug to the back.

410onefour

Veteran Member
TDI
Well it has been awhile since I've posted any info. The project is nearing completion.

The engine is in equipped with an M-tdi pump, not m-idi. Using the aaz pump, I installed the tdi camplate, 11mm head and changed the pivot point of the control lever. I'm using the mechanical advance from the aaz pump which uses two springs, original shims and has 9.5mm of piston movement which works out to 20 degrees of crankshaft advance. All I can say is this pump rocks! Tons of power right up to the higher rpm range. I also used the top from a 1.6 idi including the caged governer spring lever and lda. I had originally tried using the aaz pump in stock form which did work but did not have the power I was looking for.

Thanks Crutch for the info about posting pics. I'll get the camera out and get an album going. Nice looking dump truck!

Just a quick update on everything I've done, the toyota does not have any kind of body lift or suspension lift so things were tight. But it fits and I have reasonable clearances for everything.

Pics coming soon.

410onefour

Veteran Member
TDI
Okay, I finally got some pics downloaded! It took me a long time to figure out that my photos were too big of a file to work. Anyway, I've added photos in the members albums section. I will eventually figure out how to get them to this thread.

Drove it home for the first time today and got some exhaust built for it. Runs good, couple leaks to take care of but all in all it's running good.

I need to back off the full load screw a bit cause it smokes alot before the turbo gets a chance to kick in but once it's on boost it's just a light haze.

410onefour

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks Greengeeker for uploading a couple of my pics. After driving the truck for a couple of days I've noticed a small oil leak coming from the same area as the turbo. Just like e*clipse's truck. I head back to work tomorrow so I'll figure out exactly where it's coming from. Other then that everything seems pretty good. Definitely more power then the 22re I pulled out.

I'm looking for an intercooler since the one I bought does not fit. Any thoughts?

yaknowthatguy

TDI
2000 Jetta 5spd
your conversion is way super cool! Any mileage numbers yet?

I'd LOVE to have a Tacoma diesel....which Toyota would start importing the hilux....but your conversion may seal the deal for me in another direction.

thanks for the work you did, looks good!

410onefour

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the nice comments! I have no official mileage numbers yet but I do have just under 1000 km on it. What I can say is the mileage seems to be twice as good as the 22re would get. I was using about twenty liters a week with the 22re and that amount gets me almost two weeks of driving now.

Eclipse did a real nice conversion as well. His build would be my ideal setup but budget constraints guided me down a different path. That's why I chose a mechanical pump since I would have had to buy everything for an electronic setup among other things.

A couple of interesting points that differs from other builds I've seen is I used the toyota power steering pump now mounted on the opposite side of the engine and I was able to get the rpm gauge working using the igniter and coil from the 22r.

I built my own brackets for the toyota power steering pump and tensioner pulley and amazingly, all original hoses worked! No custom hoses. The high pressure hose runs along side the upper coolant hose.

The rpm gauge was a little frustrating to get working but worked out great in the end. I built a pickup assembly for the harmonic and welded two small tabs on the back of the harmonic for the signal. I then used the original igniter from the toyota to amplify the signal. To my dismay, this did not work. The only way I got it to work was to hook up the coil as well. I put the coil wire right to ground and it worked! Tach is totally accurate and dead smooth without having to buy any parts. Next time I take the harmonic off I'll take a pic of the tabs I welded onto the back of it.

Since I took the pictures, I installed the factory toyota airbox to reduce intake noise. The factory air filter did not flow well enough as I was pulling vaccum under load. A k&n air filter took care of that.

crutch

TDI
none
A few more pictures from the gallery:

K&Ns get a bad rep from a lot of paranoid folks for having less efficient filtration vs OEM. Ever get your used oil analyzed? Bet you would have higher silicon and wear metals in your oil using a K&N. Is it enough to make much of a difference? Probably not. What do you think?

Last edited:

jettatoyotatdi

TDI
jetta
i currently have a 98 jetta and the second i get my hands on a clean yota i plan on starting this same project... but first is my question . how much information have you found, well more so im asking is there some sort of spet by step guide to getting this project done.. and what is the best resource you have found to finish up this project, thanks so much

410onefour

Veteran Member
TDI
My initial sources were e*clipse and spulen81's threads on there Toyota projects. I read as much information as I could before starting and did a lot of measuring. My motivation was knowing that other people had successfully completed their projects. Metal fabrication is definite asset with this project.

I'm willing to answer any questions that relate to my project so feel free to ask, but I find it difficult to write up the entire process since there were so many little issues and obsticles along the way. For example, to get the motor and transmission to move forward enough to give me adequate firewall clearance, I had to remove the front driveshaft and remove the excess grease in the slip yoke, otherwise the driveshaft would not compress.

410onefour

Veteran Member
TDI
Hey Crutch! Thanks for the pic uploads. Good questions on the K&N air filters. I can tell for sure that in this particular application that the k&n "flows" way better than stock. I was able to measure the difference using an air system restriction gauge from a powerstroke. As soon as I would load the engine up in fourth it would trip the gauge with the stock filter. I put the k&n in and the gauge hasn't tripped since.

As far as filtration goes, k&n is probably not as good as oem. My opinion is that if you keep the filter well oiled and not clean it too often that it should filter okay. There is a prefilter available as well for extreme conditions. But like you mentioned, oil samples are great indicators as to how well your air filter system is working.

You have to remember that the air filter is only part of the filtration system. Most stock airboxes are designed to remove some of the dirt before it even gets to the filter. The systems that replace the factory airbox completely, are not nearly as good at filtering the air but they flow good and make lots of noise!

kane66

TDI
only IDI's so far
Quick questions, is you're Toyota 4 wheel drive. Also do you know the gear ratios of your transmission and the final drive. Also how well do you think your truck will tow. Could you tow a boat, trailer, 3 ring circus.

410onefour

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes it's a 4wd. I don't know the exact gear ratios but I can tell you what it revs at. With 235 75 r15 at 80kph I'm revving at 2000 rpm. 120 kph would be 3000rpm. A little high for a tdi but good gears for the weight of the vehicle. Fifth gear is also very close to forth, fifth is bearly an overdrive.

I won't attempt towing anything with mine until I get an egt on it and an intercooler which I'll be doing soon. Everywhere I go around here is hilly so egts are going to be the issue. I would think that it would tow 1500 to 2000 lb pretty well but anymore than that might be pushing it.

410onefour

Veteran Member
TDI
Update, the body has received some paint. I've added a couple more pics to my album. An updated pic of under the hood shows the factory toyota air filter assembly. Still no intercooler yet. I have two different styles currently in my possesion and as soon as I get a chance I'll squeeze one in. Hopefully I've attached this picture correctly.

410onefour

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm running the factory transmission that came with the truck. I believe it's a w56, which is the 5 speed manual that toyota uses behind the 22re four cylinder engine.

I used an adaptor plate from acme adapters to mate the tdi to the transmission. They also give you a flywheel with a pilot bearing. The kit is a little expensive but extremely convienient. I'm sure any good machinest could also build an adaptor plate.

NICK4030

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta 5 spd, 2006 jetta DSG
O ok great thanks, I have a buddy with a toyota, im thinking about a new project....

cumminsfromthecold

Veteran Member
TDI
'84 Toyota 1Z 4WD x-cab, '13 Jetta Wagon
Toyota Conversion

I'm running the factory transmission that came with the truck. I believe it's a w56, which is the 5 speed manual that toyota uses behind the 22re four cylinder engine.

I used an adaptor plate from acme adapters to mate the tdi to the transmission. They also give you a flywheel with a pilot bearing. The kit is a little expensive but extremely convienient. I'm sure any good machinest could also build an adaptor plate.
410onefour,
I'm getting ready to do essentially the same thing with my '84, also a 4wd x-cab. Your project turned out beautifully! You should be stoked. I've seen e*clipse's as he lives 100 miles away from me. Indeed great motivation, and so is yours.

Some questions:
What'd you use for the intercooler?
How is your transmission holding up with that torque? (I'm going with a new R151F from Marlin Crawler.)
Biggest unexpected hurdle?
Rough estimate of hours?

Thanks,

LukeWilson

Veteran Member
TDI
Toyota 4x4 TDI, 2004 Allroad TDI
Great job 410onefour, i am in the homestretch for my 1Z TDI swap into the exact same truck except mine the the base package. I am happy to hear that you are happy with fuel economy and power because i was a little nervous i would finish the swap and be no better off than running the 22re. A quick wiring question for you, how did you wire the VW alternator in with the other Toyota wiring? If you still have not mounted an intercooler you might consider something like the universal kit i bought on ebay. It was $150 shipped for the intercooler, piping kit, silicone couplers and t-clamps and it fits perfectly between the grille and radiator. Here's the link to the one i bought:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230466002272&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Luke

410onefour

Veteran Member
TDI
Hey Ronnie and Luke,

I've been driving this truck pretty much every day now since I got it running since Feb. 2009. It has under gone a few changes since then like a gt1749va turbo off of a b5 passat and the intercooler. I bought the intercooler off ebay for around $100. It measures 18x12x3 with 2.5" inlets. My original turbo was a k14 from an aaz which was okay but when the new turbo went on it was a whole new truck.

The only unexpected hurdle was the fact that a factory clutch could not hold the power of the new turbo. I had replaced the clutch when I changed out the motor with a stock unit and it was fine when the k14 was on it running about 18 psi. The new turbo made such a difference that the clutch would slip bad in third, fourth and fifth when I floored it. Full boost would kick in at 2000 rpm and slip the clutch instantly. I called up marlin crawler which I should have done in the first place and ordered the 1200 lb. clutch. Same problem believe or not, but not quite as bad. So I ordered the 1600 lb. clutch from them and it holds the torque without issues.

The transmission and driveline as a whole is holding up very well. I changed my gear oil in the trans, transfer case and diffs recently and everything looked really good.

Total hours for the initial engine swap is hard to estimate. I was working at the time with a pregnant wife and a dog that needs to be walked at home so shop time for this project was at a premium. It took about five weeks to get it to the point of driving it again. Some parts of the job go very fast while other minor issues seem to take forever. We had the 22re pulled out and the tdi bolted up to the tranny the same evening. Hope this helps.

I'll see if I can dig up some recent pictures when I get a chance.

Mine is all mechanically controlled including the turbo. That was probably my favorite part of the build, making my own mtdi pump and mechanical vane controller for the turbo. My pump turned out much better than expected with tons of reserve power.

410onefour

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm getting 9L per 100km or 31-33 mpg. I think that is imperial mpg. This is average over the course of the year. I drive it with a heavy foot as well. My mileage didn't seem to change much between the two turbos but power improved with the vnt.

cumminsfromthecold

Veteran Member
TDI
'84 Toyota 1Z 4WD x-cab, '13 Jetta Wagon
Clutch Torque Capacity

"The new turbo made such a difference that the clutch would slip bad in third, fourth and fifth when I floored it. Full boost would kick in at 2000 rpm and slip the clutch instantly. I called up marlin crawler which I should have done in the first place and ordered the 1200 lb. clutch. Same problem believe or not, but not quite as bad. So I ordered the 1600 lb. clutch from them and it holds the torque without issues."

This answers another key q of mine - thanks! I'll get that 1600 lb clutch from MC.

410onefour

Veteran Member
TDI
You know, someone should actually tell Marlin Crawler to only sell the 1600lb clutch for the tdi conversions. I've had no issues with the 1600 lb. clutch and now that I have a few miles on it the pedal feel is much better.

JayTee013

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta TDI, 1992 toyota Pickup TDI project
Quick question, what did you use to control the VNT? Mechanical linkage or a dummy vacuum system. I really like the idea of vacuum system activated by a switch on the go pedal and overidden by a dawes device. Just wondering what you went with....

410onefour

Veteran Member
TDI
Quick question, what did you use to control the VNT? Mechanical linkage or a dummy vacuum system. I really like the idea of vacuum system activated by a switch on the go pedal and overidden by a dawes device. Just wondering what you went with....
I used a mechanical linkage to the throttle with a wastegate as well. The issue I had with this setup was boost pressure and response would change as the vanes would get carbon build up and more force was needed to open the vanes.

I had planned on doing a vacuum controlled system as well but sold the truck before I got there. I can dig up some pictures of my setup this evening if you're interested.