Another TDI First Place!!!!

CMerritt

Veteran Member
TDI
GL, 1999.5, white
I had *NO* idea I did this well last Sunday at the San Francisco Region SCCA's opening Autocross event of the year. The results were just posted, pull up the following URL and look under the time indexed "Street Tire" class:

http://www.sfrscca.org/solo2/Results/2002/Championship/round1.html

I totally trounced everybody, including an S4, Audi TT, MR2 Turbo, V6 Camaro...I even came within half a second unindexed of the brand new WRX.

The biggest problem I had at the event was keeping the *(#&%@ car warm! I spent a half hour idling the car with the AC on to get it up to temp for my first run. Then I cranked up the heater to get some feeling back in my toes, and not 5 minutes later my temp gauge started DROPPING in the 50'odd degree sunny weather. Damn!

-Carl
'99.5 Golf GL TDI

[ January 30, 2002, 19:20: Message edited by: CMerritt ]

**DONOTDELETE**

Good job!
Hey if it wasn't "technically" legal to the technical rules, what kind of legal is it? Just asking

Tell us more about the "street tire" and the wheels they're mounted on

CMerritt

Veteran Member
TDI
GL, 1999.5, white
The tires I ran are the Yokohama AVS Db on the stock steel rims. Same dimensions except for 205 wide instead of 195 (and therefore slighly taller too). Not only are they very very quiet on the freeway (which nicely complements the generally quiet TDI motor when crusing at 70), but I'm simply amazed how well they stick.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/yokohama/yo_avs_db.jsp

-Carl

CMerritt

Veteran Member
TDI
GL, 1999.5, white
Yeah, just the stock 15" rims, nothing special there at all.

The biggest things about driving the car fast were not to press both pedles at the same time (I left foot brake, so if I get it wrong *ZAP* imediately zero boost and it takes forever to get back up on step) and don't fear body roll. =P

-Carl

Norman

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf GLS, '03 Wagon GL
Fantastic job, Carl! A bunch of us almost went to the Coliseum to check out the action but we never made it.
You're turning a 55.5 on the stock suspension and a chip?!

YY 1986 Jetta GL td

Nice driving.
I really liked the Boondoggle course --
one turn's exit was the next turn's entrance,
so good handling and smooth driving was more
omportant than raw power.

I notice you're in 'Street Tire' and not in
'H-stock'.

What mods do you have ?
And are you going for an encore @ 3com,
2002 Feb. 17 ?

squid,