Another play in shock assembly thread

ytk

TDI
MK3

Some times when I dont have time do things myself I give it to a mechanic. This time I needed to make sure every thing is OK before the yearly mandatory checkup.
Gave it to the mechanic he discovered some play up and down in the shock assembly ,replaced the mount and bearing and also improvised with another rubber bushing to prevent the play . Long story short he was not convinced that the play should be there and wouldn't return it to the previous condition.
Should I take it out myself? Can I leave it in and keep going?

Thanks

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
If you're referring to the gap in the picture you're in luck: perfectly normal. The car rests on the strut bushing at all times, and the top plate is only there to hold things in place if the car is up on jacks.

Some cars seem to have a bit more gap, others less, but I've seen that much gap with brand new strut bushings, so the gap in and of itself is probably fine.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Under normal circumstances the weight of the car keeps sufficient pressure on the struts. The top cap is there prevent the strut from falling too far when the front end is off the ground, in other words, the gap (as was mentioned before) is perfectly normal.

BTW, what model is that you have there? I don't recognize the rain tray cover, it's not like anything else I've seen.

Steve

Last edited: