Another Pano Leak

smos1

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 B4V w/AFN swap, 2011 JSW with a leaking pano
Have a 2011 JSW TDI with about 75k on it, owned it for a couple years now. A couple weeks ago the wife said she was in the passenger seat and got dripped on. Sure enough, I pulled the little light behind the visor and it was very wet. Noticed the water stain on the headliner and then noticed that the carpet was wet as well.

I have an extended warranty on the car (transferred from original owner) but it doesn't cover this...glad it was only $75 to transfer

The car is currently at the dealer being "inspected". The guy behind the desk says he's only seen this problem one other time. This being Seattle, where it rains, I was surprised to say the least. But then it's a dealer, aren't they supposed to lie to you?

Anyway, there's a $200 "diagnostic fee" he quoted, then it may have to be handled by a "leak expert" for an additional cost.

Since this is a known problem, at least here on these forums...will it be any use to complain to VWofA?

How difficult is it to pull the trim and headliner to repair the pano roof drains? I have 96 B4V TDI that I wouldn't even hesitate to tear into, but this JSW is the wife's, and is a little more pristine than than the B4.

Is there a easy to follow thread here to remove interior parts? I wasn't successful at the search, which has been known to happen to me in the past.

thanks again for any advice
Steve

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
A known search would pay dividends for you on these threads. There are pictures etc available.
I could search, but then so can you and you can get the results faster.

conejo_a_cuatro

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS Silver, 2011 JSW Manual - Bought Back. Now 328d Wagon.
I fixed mine in an afternoon. It was frustrating for sure, but it didn't cost 3000 dollars. And yes, it's totally bs that it's not covered under the warranty.

ricks

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Jetta Sportwagen
Cost me $3 for the tube of silicone and about 4 hours but then no mold or warped pieces.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Well true, some folks have fixed some problems without replacing the entire unit but others had problems that the only fix was replacing the entire assembly.

Wouldn't be a bad idea for the OP to get a second opinion from some non dealer source that is knowledgeable in pano roofs. If you are out of warranty, a dealer can be a very bad choice if you want your car fixed without throwing a bunch of not needed parts at the problem.

Last edited:

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
Perhaps someone could make a moulded fiberglass insert to replace te whole D%&*n thing!
What we need is a poorly engineered hole in the roof!