Another one bites the dust

Almost1

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 B4 Sedan
I flipped my girl over this morning on the way to work. The roads were covered in snow, and I was letting my girlfriend take the Touareg. The road banked left under an overpass, and the car let go and kept going straight. I caught the drainage channel and that guided me right to the bank where it flipped me, caving in the roof. From there I slid down the bank and ended up in the trees. I had to climb out the back passenger door, but I walked away without a single scratch. These cars are surprisingly stout, and I'm 99% sure I'm going to be able to salvage the drivetrain. There's other good parts I'm sure, so keep an eye on the classifieds.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Another B4 bites the dust, glad you walked away! I don't think you'd be able to say that with a domestic car.....

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
I’m glad you’re ok. these are great cars that are able to take a hit. If you’re looking for another, I still have the sedan but it has to go soon. I’d let it go cheap, lots of extras too.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Dang. Glad your ok. Reminds me of bam margera flipping his mk3 at 100mph and everyone walks away, kinda.
Save engine and trans. I might be interested of the price is right I'm looking for a 2nd block to work on for the 944 project.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Winter dangers are lurking out there, just glad you survived the incident.

Also glad to hear it'll all get salvaged and used elsewhere.

Steve

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
Glad you're ok!

I was out and about yesterday and the roads (lower Balt City and Balt County) were pretty bad in the "cleared" areas which were icing over.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Omg. That is his car. Lol. That is awesome and suxs.

turbodieseldyke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 jetta
Not the best way, but definitely not the worst way to make it on national news. Congratulations, and good luck.

The splitscreen of four on-the-scene reporters at 1:08 is hilarious. What a clownshow.

Almost1

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 B4 Sedan
I got the car home yesterday. It started right up, but the ball joint popped out on the drivers side keeping me from driving it onto the trailer. Seeing it on its wheels makes me realize just how close it was to taking me out. The Touareg really came through for me. It pulled that trailer up my unplowed driveway without a hint of slipping

Almost1

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 B4 Sedan
Wow! Glad you're ok. Is this your car at the 1:59 mark?
Yup that was me. You can see I was just climbing back in to cut the lights off. The reporter got there just before I was heading to the fire station.

Last edited:

TDI Jim

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat, 1996 Passat Variant (RIP), 2002 Jetta Wagon, 1995 Passat Variant TDI conversion brought back from the dead, 1997 Passat Variant project, and returned 2014 Passat
Oh no, so sorry for your loss, just glad you are both ok! My son totalled my '96 wagon and been rebuilding 2 of them, so let me know if you need any help.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
If someone wants a wagon my dad is selling his. It was my old car and was maintained by me until not too long ago. It's stock with a state 2 tune, Depot headlights, rebuilt MFA cluster, and new AGM (big) battery. Not in bad shape, I repaired the rust not long ago with new floorboards and it has some standard rust on the body but nothing major at all. It comes with 2 sets of tires and some spare parts (a lot actually). He bought a 2012 JSW and doesn't drive it anymore. He is asking $1,500 firm. I think the mileage is around 375k. We have a book of receipt for it and he has all the records, to include fueling. He's as meticulous about how his cars run as much as I am. The only issue of which I'm aware is the drivers front strut tower seems to be separating from the body for some reason. I've never seen it before and am not a body man, but I do know the front end easily comes apart for repair.

TDIDaveNH

Left Lane Coal Roller at Large
TDI
1997 Passat TDI x2 1984 Buick Century 4.3 diesel
Wow, that's quite a wreck...glad you walked away looks to have been a close one. I can't help but notice the A pillars folded right down but the corner marker lens held on...go figure.

klazzic

TDI
B4V & NMS
I got the car home yesterday. It started right up, but the ball joint popped out on the drivers side keeping me from driving it onto the trailer. Seeing it on its wheels makes me realize just how close it was to taking me out. The Touareg really came through for me. It pulled that trailer up my unplowed driveway without a hint of slipping

I read and followed your post back when it was fresh but didn't comment. Bad situation, sorry to hear about your B4 and good you're ok. I showed my friend and he reacted like :O
Hopefully the drivetrain and misc parts can live on in another VW. I used to have a MK1 with a AAZ (1.9 TD) from a totaled Canadian MK3 Jetta slightly modded and that was rockin... a 1.9 TDI spiffed up a bit would be wicked in that platform.