Another one bites the dust

klazzic

TDI
B4V & NMS
Well I happened to check in at a “junk yard” not to far from where I work and found this:
It had only been in the yard 5 days and someone yanked the drivetrain, and butchered part of the interior for whatever reason. Supposedly it’s a 1997. Is that right in it being a I think Sept of ‘96 produced wagon? Anyways sad day, it barely had the start of rust on one fender, a little clear coat failure but otherwise was looking fairly decent. Not sure of the mileage, the driver seat wear and shifter boot wear made me think 250k ish or slightly less. There was a fresh puncture hole in the fuel tank, probably from being moved in the yard. The bumpers, doors and all glass looked gooood still along with the trunk gate. Some misc parts will live on in my ‘96 B4V.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
I’d grab everything you can, if you have a place to store parts. I practically stripped a VR6 B4, of all body panels, when one showed up in a local yard, last summer. Parts are getting scarce...

-Todd

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
That's unfortunate, red pearl is a rather rare color for B4 cars and that's a wagon. What color is the interior?

Yes, a September 96 production would be a 97 model year.

Steve

klazzic

TDI
B4V & NMS
I’d grab everything you can, if you have a place to store parts. I practically stripped a VR6 B4, of all body panels, when one showed up in a local yard, last summer. Parts are getting scarce...

-Todd
Ye I hear you, my in-law wanted to get the whole car out of the yard.

klazzic

TDI
B4V & NMS
That's unfortunate, red pearl is a rather rare color for B4 cars and that's a wagon. What color is the interior?

Yes, a September 96 production would be a 97 model year.

Steve
I did think it to be a rare color. The interior is tan. Last person in the car was a heavy smoker by the looks of the ash tray and smell.

So it was of a handful that got imported. Sad day.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I did think it to be a rare color. The interior is tan. Last person in the car was a heavy smoker by the looks of the ash tray and smell.

So it was of a handful that got imported. Sad day.
LC3T is rare both in the Mk3 (Indian Red) and especially the B4 cars (red pearl). Most B4's are green, followed by storm grey and white, then comes windsor blue, satin silver, black magic, tornado red, twilight violet and finally red pearl.

This is all based on my exposure and just observations for online. The reds were never big with B4's for some reason, I always though that the B4 looked really good in tornado red TBH.

You almost never see a red pearl car. The red exterior is a pretty color but too bad you couldn't get dark interior with it.

Steve

klazzic

TDI
B4V & NMS
LC3T is rare both in the Mk3 (Indian Red) and especially the B4 cars (red pearl). Most B4's are green, followed by storm grey and white, then comes windsor blue, satin silver, black magic, tornado red, twilight violet and finally red pearl.

This is all based on my exposure and just observations for online. The reds were never big with B4's for some reason, I always though that the B4 looked really good in tornado red TBH.

You almost never see a red pearl car. The red exterior is a pretty color but too bad you couldn't get dark interior with it.

Steve
Cool to know about the colors. Both my wagons are white. I’m not big on red in general but that semi dark red metallic looks good for sure. For some reason I can picture a b3 in that color too. And I agree about the interior color bit. Maybe next year I will be painting my main wagon. If the cost isn’t too much more I may try and go for a white pearl. TBD

turbodieseldyke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 jetta
If the fuel tank hole was a clean puncture, I wonder if the yard did that to drain it. I've seen lower rad hoses cut clean through, for obviously no other reason than to drain (no connecting parts removed).

klazzic

TDI
B4V & NMS
If the fuel tank hole was a clean puncture, I wonder if the yard did that to drain it. I've seen lower rad hoses cut clean through, for obviously no other reason than to drain (no connecting parts removed).
It is possible that’s how they drained it as I don’t think per liability reasons they can sell airbags and fuel tanks to name a couple things. I thought it was common practice to pump the fuel into drums. The puncture looked like a chisel went into it. I’m kind of curious now how they would save the fuel via the puncture method. Maybe with the loader that has forks they lift the vehicles up and put them over a catch/drum. Hmm not 100% sure on this one.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
A yard I used to go to would punch a hole, with a screwdriver, or whatever else was handy. They’d catch the fuel and use it in their own vehicles. I remember a hand truck with a 12v battery, a pump and probably 6 Racor filters, with clear filter bowls and water separators.

It was a pretty neat mobile setup.

-Todd

klazzic

TDI
B4V & NMS
A yard I used to go to would punch a hole, with a screwdriver, or whatever else was handy. They’d catch the fuel and use it in their own vehicles. I remember a hand truck with a 12v battery, a pump and probably 6 Racor filters, with clear filter bowls and water separators.

It was a pretty neat mobile setup.

-Todd
Interesting, whatever works I suppose. I wouldn’t mind free fuel for that amount of effort. I’ll have to ask what their method is if I make it back anytime soon.

Last edited:

klazzic

TDI
B4V & NMS

-Todd
Also are there any particular parts you recommend I grab? I’m not familiar with all the quirks of the b4 platform just yet? Thanks

jdulle

Veteran Member
TDI
96 B4, 97 B4
I would grab the instrument cluster, alternator, starter, headlights, plastic triangles in the rear doors, door handles, doors,
I am looking for the small plastic piece that holds the passenger sun visor if you happen to go back.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat B4V, ALH engine out of a 2002 Jetta, some IE Rods and ASV Pistons. Nothing drivable yet though
So sad, I've been searching for b4vs in denver yards for years now. If you want to take the time, people would likely still pay good money for the non-abs brake booster bracket. I just sold a b4 booster on vortex. Good upgrade for a mk2 or mk1.

klazzic

TDI
B4V & NMS
I would grab the instrument cluster, alternator, starter, headlights, plastic triangles in the rear doors, door handles, doors,
I am looking for the small plastic piece that holds the passenger sun visor if you happen to go back.
I did grab the cluster as the screen on my main b4 has damage. Drivetrain is gone, headlights were still there last time I went and looked fine (standard DOTs), handles were busted except the one I grabbed, I’ll have to look at my wagon to see what triangle piece you’re talking about. I’ll try and run by after work one of these days for that plastic piece. I need to raid a mk4 golf or new beetle for its rear brakes anyways.

klazzic

TDI
B4V & NMS
So sad, I've been searching for b4vs in denver yards for years now. If you want to take the time, people would likely still pay good money for the non-abs brake booster bracket. I just sold a b4 booster on vortex. Good upgrade for a mk2 or mk1.
Agreed. I didn’t expect to see a wagon+tdi combo. I believe the bracket is there still. Presumably whoever took the drivetrain littered the engine bay pretty good. There was sometime ago a vr6 sedan in that yard and a tdi 4 miles away in another yard. But by the time i noticed they were well gone through. Mk4 TDIs are starting to show up more frequently now.

jdulle

Veteran Member
TDI
96 B4, 97 B4
I made the journey to Pennsylvania to visit a few yards with some B4s several years ago, wished I had been more thorough then, because they are getting really rare here.

jdulle

Veteran Member
TDI
96 B4, 97 B4
Also, after looking at the picture again, the front parking lights, turn signals, and plastic dummy panels where the fog lights would go might be in demand if they are in good shape.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Most JY's are now punching tanks in preparation for placing vehicles in the yard. It's local practice here and it just means one more part that can't sold and that tanks on the market are limited to what's out there. You can still find tanks at other full service JY's, that's how I did mine on the B3 wagon, but in the end the B4 tdi tank is identical to the B3 gasoline 16v (non-VR6) tank except for the filler neck restriction for unleaded.

Most upull yards follow the same recipe for yard prep. They punch tanks (and oil / trans pans) to drain fluids, they suck brake fluid and PS fluid out of reservoirs, and they (unwisely) slice lower radiator hoses to drain coolant and then cut off catalysts. When you combine that with the body damage they do because they're moving them so quickly there aren't a lot of reasonable parts left to sell IMO. It's a business plan that came to the mid-west from the west coast IIRC and I've never been an advocate for it. It's thoroughly destructive to a lot of the stuff that should be preserved and resold. You can also add to that broken glass for cars that have no keys and are tow-ins too, and that makes an even bigger mess.

Still lots of good parts to get off that wagon, if it was local to me I'd be harvesting what I could although I have no business stockpiling even more crap....

Steve

turbodieseldyke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 jetta
It's a business plan that came to the mid-west from the west coast IIRC and I've never been an advocate for it.
Another thing they have out here is "No airbags" -- which means you can't replace a ripped-up seat unless it's pre-1999 or so, which at that age also means the JY seat's going to be ripped up.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Another thing they have out here is "No airbags" -- which means you can't replace a ripped-up seat unless it's pre-1999 or so, which at that age also means the JY seat's going to be ripped up.
Around here they still allow the sale of airbags, there's no restriction on that yet, but I would guess that at some point it'll become an issue. And similarly they don't restrict the sale of seats with bags either...for now.

Steve

TDI Jim

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat, 1996 Passat Variant (RIP), 2002 Jetta Wagon, 1995 Passat Variant TDI conversion brought back from the dead, 1997 Passat Variant project, and returned 2014 Passat
If you have the time, will pay you for the center armrest. I am rebuilding 2 B4V's and previous owner broke the lid at the hinges for the center armrest.

klazzic

TDI
B4V & NMS
If you have the time, will pay you for the center armrest. I am rebuilding 2 B4V's and previous owner broke the lid at the hinges for the center armrest.
I will be swing by this weekend, if it’s still there I’ll grab it and PM you. The arm rest does come off of the console right or? I’ve not messed with that section yet. I read on how to remove the console.

klazzic

TDI
B4V & NMS
Most JY's are now punching tanks in preparation for placing vehicles in the yard. It's local practice here and it just means one more part that can't sold and that tanks on the market are limited to what's out there. You can still find tanks at other full service JY's, that's how I did mine on the B3 wagon, but in the end the B4 tdi tank is identical to the B3 gasoline 16v (non-VR6) tank except for the filler neck restriction for unleaded.

Most upull yards follow the same recipe for yard prep. They punch tanks (and oil / trans pans) to drain fluids, they suck brake fluid and PS fluid out of reservoirs, and they (unwisely) slice lower radiator hoses to drain coolant and then cut off catalysts. When you combine that with the body damage they do because they're moving them so quickly there aren't a lot of reasonable parts left to sell IMO. It's a business plan that came to the mid-west from the west coast IIRC and I've never been an advocate for it. It's thoroughly destructive to a lot of the stuff that should be preserved and resold. You can also add to that broken glass for cars that have no keys and are tow-ins too, and that makes an even bigger mess.

Still lots of good parts to get off that wagon, if it was local to me I'd be harvesting what I could although I have no business stockpiling even more crap....

Steve
The thought did cross my mind to yank everything but then worst case it could be a pain to unload the parts as I’d imagine the doors, bumpers, fenders, and trunk lid are in the freight shipping category. That being said, 2 years ago I was trying to buy a in decent shape not running vr6 wagon but the guy wanted way too much for it.

klazzic

TDI
B4V & NMS
Also, after looking at the picture again, the front parking lights, turn signals, and plastic dummy panels where the fog lights would go might be in demand if they are in good shape.
The hood, running lights and turn/ fog dummies were MIA by the time I got to the yard. I posted the photo from the yards webpage (slightly deceiving-sorry). But otherwise I agree with you.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
The hood, running lights and turn/ fog dummies were MIA by the time I got to the yard. I posted the photo from the yards webpage (slightly deceiving-sorry). But otherwise I agree with you.
They go fast...always. Personally I like the European ones that are white reflector only, the marker lights don't do anything for me.

There's a host of parts that go quickly, and the corner markers, the turn sigs and reflector inserts as well as the fog lamps and lower grille are all big demand items...and in short supply now.

Steve

TDI Jim

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat, 1996 Passat Variant (RIP), 2002 Jetta Wagon, 1995 Passat Variant TDI conversion brought back from the dead, 1997 Passat Variant project, and returned 2014 Passat
Thanks Klazzic! Trying to save 2 B4V's and turn them back into Daily Drivers

klazzic

TDI
B4V & NMS
Thanks Klazzic! Trying to save 2 B4V's and turn them back into Daily Drivers
TDI Jim,
Unfortunately someone pried the hinged section to get into the storage compartment. So the arm rest hinges were toast. Sorry

TDI Jim

Veteran Member
TDI
No worries Klazzic, what are you repacing her with?