Another MK1 Rabbit Truck TDI project!

jrcstudios

TDI
1982 Rabbit Pickup 1Z TDI
First of all, special thanks in no particular order to davidpa, tongboy, MrDave, hobojoker and anyone else that has done or is doing the same thing that I am. I've spent the last week reading your threads. I'm hoping you guys will check on me and give me advice as I dive into this..

My project truck is a 1982 Rabbit Pickup. I am putting a 1Z TDI engine from a 1996 Passat into it, as well as the O2A transmission. I have removed all wires from the two vehicles, and plan to use the Passat fuse panel and wires as much as possible and re-terminate connections to the rear of the vehicle and its accessories. This seems like it will be fairly easy, as I have found that wiring color codes for old necessities like the headlights and wiper motor have not changed since '82. (and I labeled everything I unplugged from the Passat) Wiring will be the easy part for me, that's my strong point.

I only have one wiring question so far, what is the switch on the clutch pedal for? Is this just for shutting off cruise control? I need to get a copy of a '96 Passat Bently or something...

I'm not sure what to do about a shifter. This is what it looks like in the Passat:

I'm still trying to figure out how it comes out of there!! Is it from the bottom of the car? I'm not sure its even worth removing, if I could get something better. What shifter have you guys used?? Is there some performance racing shifter (complete) available?

I want this one (pic courtesy Top Gear) it looks like it would be easy:

Then there is the power steering pump.. I've read davidpa's thread on it, but I want to keep the A/C compressor, as my truck had factory A/C. Will that pulley kit still work?

Or maybe there is a power steering rack&pinion for a rabbit? Maybe its cheaper to keep ‘er in this case?

Motor mounts: I read somewhere I can take a saws-all to the factory engine I.P. bracket and motor mount to make the right side of the engine work, and I think that will do well.

I will make the O2A mounts myself, WRD is too expen$ive...If anyone has some drawings with dimensions, please share, or else I will when I'm done :)

Intercooler question: Since I have factory AC, I don't have much space in front. I think I'm going to have to put it elsewhere. Maybe below the bumper somehow? It needs to look good, though. Or can I just put it under the hood somewhere with a small fan on it? Throw some ideas my way... and keep in mind a hood scoop is the LAST resort!

Stay tuned... and there are more pictures here to look at.
--JRC

hobojoker

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk1 Rabbit, Mk4 Golf TDI (partout!), MK6 Golf TDI, MK2 Scirocco -> TDI,
Good luck to you! Hopefully you won't get held up waiting for parts like me -_-

When my mounts come I can take a picture of them and give you the dimensions so you can fabricate them for yourself.

Also, check out vwvortex, there are some tdi swaps there with great information. (Sorry to advocate vortex, but it's true!)

The shifter comes out from underneath the car. You need to remove the exhaust and heat shielding.

About the switch on the clutch, I believe you're correct about it switching off the cruise control.

You can buy a power steering rack for the rabbit, but I'm sticking with manual.

Last edited:

hobojoker

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk1 Rabbit, Mk4 Golf TDI (partout!), MK6 Golf TDI, MK2 Scirocco -> TDI,
Btw, I hate you. Wiring is my weak point, the mechanical is a joke for me!

Spulen81

Veteran Member
The shifter does come out the bottom, its under the exhaust heatshield.

I'm running AC with no powersteering in my coupe. There is no factory way to do it unfortunately. If you swap on the VR serp water pump pulley the belt won't even touch. A bigger pulley would not fit.. I made an idler pulley setup that bolts to the factory ps pump mount and basically just replaces the pump itself.

tongboy

Veteran Member
TDI
91 Jetta TDI Swap, 97 M3 LS1 Swap
it's good to see more and more of these!

I have a used set of the o2a mounts I don't need anymore if you need them

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
If you want to make an extra set of brackets I'll make it worth your while...I agree WRD's are too expensive.

jrcstudios

TDI
Sorting out the WIRES!!

Today was my first official day of wiring. I started with everything "non engine" under the hood. (wipers, washer, headlights, etc..) and have it all working! It is Much easier than I thought it would be. Everything matches wiring color wise from the '82 to the Passat CE2. Just a bunch of soldering to make it hook up to the old style headlight plugs and other terminations.
Everything is soldered and either double-taped or heatshrunk. No crimp connections here!

I also did some sawing and modding to the dash. Here is the finished project.

I plan to one day make a custom front out of wood or metal so that the edges won't be cut off, but for now this will do, as I can see all gauges and lights. There are more pictures of how I mounted the cluster here.

Hopefully tomorrow I will interface the rear lights and finish the inside stuff.

davidpa28140

TDI
1998 jetta,1983 rabbit truck
That looks great , nice work. Did you try futrell autowerks for the serpentine belt conversion? It seems to me they had a set up for AC as well, but I could be wrong. You can use both the engine mounts, the one on the passenger side will need cut ,you will most likely have to cut some of the metal plate out that sits behind the timing belt to access the bolt holes for that mount.
The front required no mods.

I agree the wrd mounts cost to much and they took much longer to arrive then promised(by several weeks) If you can't get them anywhere else there's a guy over seas suppling them for around 100 bucks less including shipping, you can find him on the caddy forum, he seems to run a shop there and goes by the name Al.

I mounted the shifter from the top, I did not look into other possible shifters. You can also cut that trim piece out around the dash if you want to see the rest of the panel , I'm sure you are aware of it by now but you will need new axle shafts from a sirocco.
The ford probe intercooler fits behind my grill, not sure how it would work with AC though? Lots of guys relocate the battery.
Have a good day,
Dave

Last edited:

jrcstudios

TDI
Wiring continues..

I now have all lights, wipers, horn, domelight, etc. working.
I went ahead and ran wires for future electric door locks.
My next hurdle is making the A/C and radiator fan wiring work.
This is the most difference I've seen so far between the two vehicles.
Since the A/C will be half '82 rabbit and half '96 Passat, there is a lot of interfacing, and some custom Freon hoses. It would be easiest to just use the Rabbit wiring and just connect the hot wire, but I like the fact that the Passat would kick off the compressor when you punch the go-pedal. I want to keep that feature.

(side story: back in '82, my mom had a rabbit diesel 1.6L NA. It was my job as an aspiring 5 year old to hit the A/C OFF button when Mom took off from a redlight, so she would have more power!)

If anyone knows of an online resource, or has a wiring diagram for a Passat, let me know. I guess I should just go ahead and buy a Bently manual for the car.

**EDIT**
Nevermind! I just found THIS You guys doing a CE2 conversion might want to check it out if you haven't already. There is a complete listing for the fuse panel wiring, complete with a link to Bently for a picture layout (very usefull when you have half the connectors plugged in and can't get at it good enough to see the letters anymore!)

--JRC

Last edited:

davidpa28140

TDI
Wondering how your making out on the axle shafts, mounts and pulleys? Keep at it, you will like the results. I notice your old set up had a four speed, yuck!

Dave

jrcstudios

TDI
davidpa28140 said:
Wondering how your making out on the axle shafts, mounts and pulleys? Keep at it, you will like the results. I notice your old set up had a four speed, yuck!
Dave
Not only was it a four-speed, it was a gas engine four speed!! I think driving that at 60MPH is what ended the life of the 1.6 NA early. The stock transmission was swapped for "whatever fits" sometime before I got the truck.

I haven't got the axles yet, I don't want to get them until its sitting in the truck. What year model Sirocco should I ask for? anything else I should know about that?

I started on mounts yesterday, and am going to do the water pump and timing belt today. The front engine mount (That goes behind the timing belt) is on and fits nicely. Pics later on...

jrcstudios

TDI
Progress update with pics...

Here is what I've been up to...

All the non-engine wiring is done and cleaned up! The engine harness is also physically in now, just got to sort its wires out.

Here is the fresh timing belt and water pump and the engine mount made from the bracket off an old 1.6

Also note the power steering pump and bracketry is gone, I've gotta figure out the water pump pulley.

I pulled some more stuff of of the Passat.
Here is the down-pipe to cat converter, along with sensors. What should I do with these sensors??? obviously, I am not going to have the Cat, as it won't fit anyway.

The probes go in front and behind the cat. Do you see the little port right on the engine side of the flex? That is where a "secondary injector" pumps fuel straight to the cat for extra heat under certain conditions. I read that some where, not sure where, probably FAQ but I can't find it now. The pump below circled in red is what sends it fuel.

All for now....

JRC

davidpa28140

TDI
JRC,
I bought the Scirrocco axles from “parts maverick” on ebay for 134 dollars, I feel pretty sure they are for an 85-88 scirocco . Along with the proper length, make sure you get the 100mm ends as the 020’s are 90mm. I’m not advocating any particular place to buy those but, the site I listed gives measurements to allow you to compare the axles.

I used no part of the exhaust from the Passat. I had a custom downpipe made and used two inch(it was already on it) from there back with a muffler. I do have a cel but that could be due to eliminating the egr.
good luck, Dave

davidpa28140

TDI
Forgot to mention I used the stock rabbit fuel filter to simplify the hose routing, not to mention it's less than half the price to replace.

jrcstudios

TDI
davidpa28140 said:
Forgot to mention I used the stock rabbit fuel filter...
Davidpa, thanks for the info on the axles.

About the TDI fuel system: is there an electric fuel pump other than I.P. on the engine?? I found wires on the CE2 for that purpose, but wasn't sure if there is a fuel pump or not.

JRC

davidpa28140

TDI
JRC, I am not using any type of electric pump for the diesel or wvo system, just the IP. I had the place on the fuse block for the electric pump as well, I assumed it was for a gas model.

Spulen81

Veteran Member
There isn't an electric pump from the factory. You can use this position on the fuse box and the gas wiring to run one though.. I did that on my GTI.

jrcstudios

TDI
Well, today was "test fit" day... It failed! :mad:
The AC compressor sticks way too far out in front and hits the frame.

I want A/C.

I've decided that I'm going to take the alternator, A/C comp, and V-belt pulleys from the original engine and use the original bracket to bolt it to the TDI. The holes all line up.

That will solve several problems:
1-AC compressor placement
2-water pump belt drive problem
3-since I'm using the original compressor now, I won't have to make cu$tom refrigerant lines.

One big problem... To get to the bolts on that bracket, I have to take the injection pump off!! I really don't want to mess with re-timing. I hope there is a way I can mark it and put it perfectly back???

I'm going to finish putting the engine in the vehicle (without belts or anything else on it) so I can crank it and verify the electrical system before doing this, as the last thing I want is an electrical issue making me doubt my pump R&R.

--JRC

davidpa28140

TDI
v- belts

Hmm, sounds good in thoery, minus the pita v-belts are to keep tight. But given the circumstances looks like a good option. Nice way to eliminate the need to convert the water pump pulley as well. Be interested to hear how it works out for you, jrc. This would be a good time to replace the timing belt if you haven't already.

Good luck,
Dave

tongboy

Veteran Member
TDI
91 Jetta TDI Swap, 97 M3 LS1 Swap
I never had any real issue test fitting the compressor in my mk1 - you sure you've got all your engine mounts right?

jrcstudios

TDI
There seems to be a bazillion different belt layouts on all the diesel VW engines. Here is my two in the collection...

Original '96 Passat 1-Z engine (minus power steering pump):

Modified 1-Z with bracket from original rabbit engine:

Note how the compressor is tucked in between the water pump and inj pump (kinda where the serpentine idler was) The alternator is now on top. Also know that when I put the top bracket on, the alternator will end up closer to the injection pump.

My current concerns: The original TDI lower pully was a harmonic ballancer of sorts, it had mass to it. The old v-belt pully is thin and light. I'm sure this will bring back some of that old-diesel rattle 'n shake. Will it damage anything?? Also I'm gonna have to cut the timing belt cover a bit as the crank pulley hits it.

---

Here is my "virtual belt" layout. I have these belts... somewhere amongst all the wreckage...
the alt. to comp. belt goes on first, then the lower belt. The compressor has a dual belt slot (nothing else does)

Last edited:

jrcstudios

TDI
Davidpa, what did you end up doing for the lower rad hose? I think the metal one from the old engine will fit.. Mine has an additional curve that was not in your picture here. Do I need to change this while I can get at it?

**Edit** Oh, Nevermind! now I get it "just pull the pin" --duh!
If it leaks I'll put the MK1 metal one on.

Last edited:

jrcstudios

TDI
She's in!

The engine is now officially suspended by the truck!

I Started it too, after an hour of scrutiny of wires to make absolutely sure I hadn't done anything stupid that would fry the computer when I connected the battery.

It Fired up, but I don't think the glow plug circuit is working. Do TDI glow plugs come on at all when its 90 degrees in the shade? anyhow, might have just been air in the fuel lines.

Here's my side mount (for now, I'll likely re-do it with a new mount and more steel)

I guess I'm going to wait for axles to be installed before doing the rear and make sure everything lines up.

Speaking of axles, why can't I use the original truck axles? They look like they would fit, are they just slightly too long?

Here's a few more pics:

I'd love to see pictures of where others have mounted the computer, and what to do to get A/C and an intercooler happy in the same rabbit.

I'd also like to know what measurements I could take to make sure the engine is where it should be. (one more thing for the list of stuff I 'shoulda did first!)

Last edited:

davidpa28140

TDI
Jrc, I mounted the ecm just toward the passenger side of the rain tray, I cut a hole in the front of the tray to allow the wires(and veg lines) through. I used the original metal rabbit water neck, I didn't feel good about tightening a hose clamp on the remaining plastic one after taking that hairpin clip out. It may have been ok that way, but the metal one has been trouble free for 1000 miles now.

The trouble with the axles is where they bolt on to the transmission, I think you will find they are 10mm to small in diameter.

The glow plugs in my Jetta and now the rabbit cycle, very breifly compared to the old 1.6 rattler did. They do however cycle regardless of the ambient temps.

Nice work on the mounts, congrates on the start up! In no time you'll be making smoke at the other end.......

jrcstudios

TDI
davidpa28140 said:
...The trouble with the axles is where they bolt on to the transmission, I think you will find they are 10mm to small in diameter....
Right, the Rabbit CV joint itself is too small for the 02A the transmission, but if I pull that off the axle, and use the 100mm CV joints from the Passat, are the Rabbit axle *lengths* too long? Is there a known measurement minimum for clearance?

These pics were taken with suspension off the ground:

Left:

Left

Right

Right

davidpa28140

TDI
JRC, I can't be much help to you on that, my knowledge of cv's and axles is very limited. I did read about some guys swapping the ends as you suggest but I think they may of had some issues with circlips trying that. I could be way off base here on that though. My cv's where shot, and the passat didn't have any , so I didn't look much into it. Hopefully someone with some useful knowledge will be along soon. By the way my mileage has improved and I would expect yours to as well.

phazersonstun

TDI
Only parts...
You did a great job on that swap! It looks really clean! Can't wait to see what you do for those mounts, they can be kinda tricky... Great job though! And in my experience with CV joints, I have a full Corrado brake and suspension setup on my MKII. I had to swap the outer CV joints so my stock MKII axles would slip right into the 5-Lug hubs. I have been using it for over 10,000 miles. Not a problem!

I would try to compare where the new Trans is located versus the original. That would tell you whether or not the Caddy Axles would be the correct length. Also you want to see whether the CV hubs themselves are wider or larger. I'm not an expert by any means, but that is where I would start. GOOD LUCK!