Another MK1 Rabbit Truck TDI project!

MrDave

Veteran Member
The 16V sciroccos (and late cabriolets) used 100mm axles.

They should fit perfect.

You'll need to clearance your spindles so they don't bind when you torque the axle nut. Or you can use later spindles.

-Dave

jrcstudios

TDI
1982 Rabbit Pickup 1Z TDI
MrDave said:
...You'll need to clearance your spindles so they don't bind when you torque the axle nut. Or you can use later spindles....
I was just reading about that at this site. Is there a procedure on what/where/how much to grind, or will it be obvious when my new axles arrive?

MrDave

Veteran Member
jrcstudios said:
I was just reading about that at this site. Is there a procedure on what/where/how much to grind, or will it be obvious when my new axles arrive?

Having never done it myself, I can't say.

But I'd expect that if you put your axles in, tighten the nut till it starts to bind, then rotate the axle, it should be quite obvious.

I've read that ~1/8" will need to be ground off.

-Dave

tongboy

Veteran Member
TDI
91 Jetta TDI Swap, 97 M3 LS1 Swap
100mm scirocco axles should work without modification, same with 90mm outer and axles with 100mm inner joints (they fit on the same spline no drama, confirmed on scirocco and mk3 vr6 inner cv joints.)

basically - you shouldn't need to chop down the axle if you're using mk1 stuff (any combo of mk1 stuff)

jrcstudios

TDI
tongboy said:
100mm scirocco axles should work without modification, same with 90mm outer and axles with 100mm inner joints (they fit on the same spline no drama, confirmed on scirocco and mk3 vr6 inner cv joints.)

basically - you shouldn't need to chop down the axle if you're using mk1 stuff (any combo of mk1 stuff)
Confirmed once again! New complete axles are on...
Working on a clutch cable now, and I still need to find an intercooler and where to put it.. I'm thinking a long skinny one below the bumper, or a custom bumper that holds it in front of one of the "vents" behind the bumper...

Other than that, waiting on my re-built AC compressor and "tricked out" MK1 alternator and I'll be done!!

tongboy

Veteran Member
TDI
91 Jetta TDI Swap, 97 M3 LS1 Swap
i've been very happy with the performance of my "cheap" ebay intercooler, something like 2" thick, ~24" long and about 6-8 tall and its done ample cooling and I was able to fit int in front of the radiator (though I never ran a condenser for AC...) behind the grill looked super sleeper

the only way to make it not look out of place with a bumper would be to run the cabby kit with the bigger bumper IMO

drrtybyl

TDI
'79 Rabbit D LS -> TDI swap in progress
Thanks for posting so many images of your project. I'm about to start on this process with my '79 2dr Rabbit (using old-style AC, etc.) and it's going to be helpful.

jrcstudios

TDI
It's Alive!!!

Sorry, long time no update.. I took a break to work on my father-in-law's boat wiring while I waited for intercooler and A/C compressor to get to me.

Empty promises on the A/C compressor still have the truck un-drivable except for a short run down the drive and back (can't put any belts on without it)
but the power, ahhh.. the power!!

I'm a bit concerned with how much the engine moves around, probably 2 inches watching the EGR valve as a reference when getting on and off the pedal in 1'st gear around 2500 RPM.
I've never had a hood off to watch a FWD engine, how much movement is normal?

Here is my clutch setup, using the 02B141708A clutch adapter and a custom cable made from a shift cable off a Geo Tracker, or something:

You see how the bracket on the transmission holding the cable has a corner cut off?? If you can't make 2'nd gear, check for clearance!

And here is the intercooler... I don't really like it there, minus 25 points for the "stock look" I was going for, but it will do for now, I'm ready to drive!

I'm also not sure how much HP this little radiator hose rig is going to steal.
I plan to get some custom piping bent, but don't want to spend money on it until I am happy with a better bumper/intercooler combination.

The inside is starting to come together, notice where I relocated the light pull switch since the dash cluster moved-in on its factory space:

More to come when I get the AC installed and can give it a much deserved wash/detail!

--John

Last edited:

drrtybyl

TDI
Did you use the MK1 radiator? What about ABS? Looks like the MK1 brake stuff(?) Thanks, Billy

jrcstudios

TDI
drrtybyl said:
Did you use the MK1 radiator? What about ABS? Looks like the MK1 brake stuff(?) Thanks, Billy
MK1 radiator and brakes.. I thought about adding the ABS from the Passat, but decided against it for now.

CrAzYDr1veR

Veteran Member
TDI
MK1 Rabbit
axle

hi, so what is the minimum/maximum clearance for the axle to the gearbox?
On the left side i just put a mk3 axel because it was the same lenght as the mk1, but on the right side the mk3 is longer so i have to check the clearence :mad:

vwmikel

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'94 Golf Sport TDI
I have one of these on the front of my Rabbit:

It replaces the small factory rubber peice and really helps to reduce the engine movement. It doesn't really cause too much vibration either.

MrDave

Veteran Member
vwmikel said:
I have one of these on the front of my Rabbit:

It replaces the small factory rubber peice and really helps to reduce the engine movement. It doesn't really cause too much vibration either.

I tried one of those on my TDI Rabbit. The vibration was so massive it was scary. That was just my experience.

If you have so much engine movement, did you install the rear tranny mount? You might want to check on that.

As for this:

why don't you clock the compressor housing?

-Dave

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
Does the Mk3 A/C Compressor fit without cutting the front cross member on the mk1?

jrcstudios

TDI
G60ING said:
Does the Mk3 A/C Compressor fit without cutting the front cross member on the mk1?
No, It won't. At least not with a 1Z Passat engine. And I think you'd have to cut so much it would have no support left. See This Post. Note how much closer the AC compressor is to the engine in the MK1 configuration.

It was fairly easy to take the bracket from the original engine (though the injection pump must move to get to two bolts)

And while I'm here, I'm proud to say I've clocked over 300 miles with no issues other than dealing with my custom intercooler pipes either melting or just popping apart! I think I have it good now.

drrtybyl

TDI
Does your passenger side mount use the stock positioning? It looks like the holes are there for it on the block once you cut back the TDI engine cover plate?

jrcstudios

TDI
drrtybyl said:
Does your passenger side mount use the stock positioning? It looks like the holes are there for it on the block once you cut back the TDI engine cover plate?
sorry, haven't been on here in a while!
Yes, I used the bracket from the old IDI engine and cut off the part that holds the IDI injection pump. Here is a picture of just the bracket inside the engine compartment. The TDI block has all the same holes for mounting, you just have to get behind the timing belt and trim some metal off the back timing belt cover (and plastic off the front)

Here it is cut and mounted to the TDI engine:

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
Plan on haing to run the mk1 accessories if you want to keep the a/c without hacking up the front cross member.

drrtybyl

TDI
Thanks for the info regarding the bracket. I made the same mod to my 1.5 mount. Looks like I'll be running my mk1 alternator and AC.

8v-of-fury

thread bump! :)

nice work you have done here! I have a question or two as I am doing an identical swap to an 81 Jetta.

Did I read correctly when you said you needed to cut out some metal plate behind the timing belt to get the modified 1.5/1.6 bracket to fit on the block? Damn that's a road block.. lol I suppose with the engine at TDC, Cam and pump locked the belt can be removed and slipped back on no (or little) problem.. In theory lol.

The driver mount and rear mount I have a pretty good idea about already as to what I am going to do for them... will also be doing the complete CE2 swap, electrical is a strong point for me too, but so is the mechanical.. its bodywork that i have trouble with :( lol

Congrats on this, Hey hows it running now?!