Another manual swap

MEgearhead

Veteran Member
TDI
B5.5, 4L, 4G
After 220k and about 20k after replacing the TC, now there's no reverse. I'm ready to pull the trigger on a manual swap. Has anyone in northern Virginia, where we have both the annual safety inspections and biannual emissions tests, completed a manual swap, and if so, have you had any issues with these?

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Not in NoVa, but had e-tests performed on my swapped Passat for four years until the emissions testing program was scrapped up here.
With a proper swap (5 or 6 speed) and most importantly, a tune, you should have no problem passing either mechancal or emissions testing.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
I'm in Charleston, wv and have a reman vw GMR in a passat I'm going to part out soon. It is driveable if you want to check it out before I pull it. Has been well maintained and have paperwork on the original replacement. Swaps are nice but some folks like an automatic and swaps are costly and time consuming. PM me for details

MEgearhead

Veteran Member
TDI
B5.5, 4L, 4G
I have been trying to get everything together for the swap, and have one question that I cannot seem to find the answer to. Is the thin sheet metal cover between the trans and engine used with the auto also used with the 228 clutch, or do I need a manual trans specific one. I understand that there is a different 5mm spacer that must be used with the 240 clutch, but I am using a 228 DMF Sachs setup. A YouTube video on the subject talks about a manual specific one. It seems like the 1.8T manual and 2.0 TDI auto use the same one 06B103551G. Hope to have a kit from Frans here soon and want to make sure I have everything else. Thanks!

MEgearhead

Veteran Member
TDI
B5.5, 4L, 4G
Well the swap is finished.

FHN swap kit from Frans.
Sachs 228 "racing" clutch and DMF, also from Frans.
Stage II auto delete from Malone.

Car runs and drives great except cruise doesn't work.

No fault codes or lights.

Checked switch status measuring block with VCDS and one of the digits changes from 0 to 1 when I start to press the clutch.

Does anyone have any other ideas before I contact Malone? I don't want to bother them if I don't have to.

MEgearhead

Veteran Member
TDI
B5.5, 4L, 4G
Update:

I checked the trans gear ratios by logging engine rpm, vehicle speed, and switch positions, and using some excel formulas. The overall ratios calculated from the logs agree (+/-5%) with the overall ratios I calculated for the FHN using gear teeth numbers. (13.01, 7.50, 4.68, 3.11, 2.36). The logs also show the second digit from the left of switch positions (group 6 field 1) going from 1 to 0 and back to 1 when the clutch is pressed and released. Does anyone know what the other 3 digits are for?

I contacted Malone, and will see what they have to say.

themightyquinn

TDI
1999 New Beetle Black
I'm pretty sure the other 3 correspond to the cruise switch positions. Cruise on/off, Cruise set, Cruise resume/adjust. FWIW on my manual swap cruise worked just with the standard VAG-COM programming. The only reason I ultimately got a tune (DUK trans) was for the RPM drop when shifting