Another manual swap

MEgearhead

TDI
B5.5, 4L, 4G
After 220k and about 20k after replacing the TC, now there's no reverse. I'm ready to pull the trigger on a manual swap. Has anyone in northern Virginia, where we have both the annual safety inspections and biannual emissions tests, completed a manual swap, and if so, have you had any issues with these?

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Not in NoVa, but had e-tests performed on my swapped Passat for four years until the emissions testing program was scrapped up here.
With a proper swap (5 or 6 speed) and most importantly, a tune, you should have no problem passing either mechancal or emissions testing.

50harleyrider

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
I'm in Charleston, wv and have a reman vw GMR in a passat I'm going to part out soon. It is driveable if you want to check it out before I pull it. Has been well maintained and have paperwork on the original replacement. Swaps are nice but some folks like an automatic and swaps are costly and time consuming. PM me for details

MEgearhead

TDI
B5.5, 4L, 4G
I have been trying to get everything together for the swap, and have one question that I cannot seem to find the answer to. Is the thin sheet metal cover between the trans and engine used with the auto also used with the 228 clutch, or do I need a manual trans specific one. I understand that there is a different 5mm spacer that must be used with the 240 clutch, but I am using a 228 DMF Sachs setup. A YouTube video on the subject talks about a manual specific one. It seems like the 1.8T manual and 2.0 TDI auto use the same one 06B103551G. Hope to have a kit from Frans here soon and want to make sure I have everything else. Thanks!