another hpfp failure

c17chief

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2dr
Interesting conclusions in the report. Ethanol was found in 4 of 6 diesel underground storage tanks. A likely source is tanker trucks that also deliver ethanol-blended gasoline. Unfortunately, apparently the HPFP can't handle this blend. :rolleyes:

If this is such a problem, I wonder if enough of these reports will get some companies to target an additive towards it. Seems like most all of them is geared towards lubricity, cetane, gelling, water, or any combination of those.....if the lubricity and cetane is in fact ok (although below recomended and not ideal) for the fuel system and a lot of damage is occuring from ethanol contamination....seems like it should be easy enough for an additive maker to come up with a cocktail to counteract the effects of ethanol tainted fuel. Something to at least keep bacteria from growing further, and preventing your own components from excessively corroding once the fuel is in your tank. If ethanol contamination is across the board really that prevelent and significant, I would use such additive if there was one. :D

jaxler

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen 6M
My Pump Failure Story

These threads have me scared to death. I experienced pump failure this week on my 2010 JSW 6M. Started the car on a very cold morning, went in the house to get my coffee and came out to a pool of diesel under the car. Had it towed to the dealer. I was told it was the pump, which broke or cracked at the nipple (sounds painful). This does not sound like the traditional pump failure that I've been reading about. I asked the mechanic about the possibility of metal in the fuel delivery system and was told there was no evidence of that. He's never seen a similar failure. Cost me over $900 for the new pump and related hoses. It wasn't covered under the drivetrain warranty, though I asked. Car has 42,000 miles on it. Should I be concerned. These threads talk of $10,000 repairs for pump failures. I don't want it to cost more, but is the mechanic missing the real danger here?

pknopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
These threads have me scared to death. I experienced pump failure this week on my 2010 JSW 6M. Started the car on a very cold morning, went in the house to get my coffee and came out to a pool of diesel under the car. Had it towed to the dealer. I was told it was the pump, which broke or cracked at the nipple (sounds painful). This does not sound like the traditional pump failure that I've been reading about. I asked the mechanic about the possibility of metal in the fuel delivery system and was told there was no evidence of that. He's never seen a similar failure. Cost me over $900 for the new pump and related hoses. It wasn't covered under the drivetrain warranty, though I asked. Car has 42,000 miles on it. Should I be concerned. These threads talk of $10,000 repairs for pump failures. I don't want it to cost more, but is the mechanic missing the real danger here?
You need to go back and pitch a fit. VW is covering the HPFP's under the 5/60. Look through the HPFP thread at the top of the main section the info is there.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
The cost of the pump alone is $1,200-1600, depending on whether it's new or reman. If they charged you $900 it wasn't the HPFP, I don't think. Is there a part number on the paperwork?

scdevon

Veteran Member
TDI
None
If you had a fuel pump failure, you didn't have a high pressure fuel pump failure, you had a low pressure fuel pump failure. There are two electrically powered feed pumps that feed the high pressure fuel pump.
These low pressure pumps aren't covered under the 60k powertrain warranty. It sounds like the plastic port on the pump got brittle in the cold weather and broke. I've honestly never heard of that happening.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Even if it doesn't sound like the same type of failure, be sure to file it with NHTSA.

jaxler

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen 6M
Thanks for the replies. I checked the part number, 5NO 906 129 B, and it looks like it is the aux. pump, not the HPFP. Got the runaround from the dealer all week so when I started searching the forum for explanations, the HPFP issue got me imagining the worst. Never thought I'd think of a $954 repair as lucky, but I guess I am this time.

53 willys

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Sportwagen TDI~LOVE/HATE~
$954 for a aux pump seems crazy expensive.....I can't imagine it would call for more then two hours labor....

jaxler

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen 6M
$954 for a aux pump seems crazy expensive.....I can't imagine it would call for more then two hours labor....
Labor $330 - (3 hrs)
Pump $350
J-Pipe $132.60
BG Pipe $67.60
8 Clips $17.68
+tax

I wouldn't have bothered with the dealer, but I thought it was a possible warranty issue.

pknopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
Labor $330 - (3 hrs)
Pump $350
J-Pipe $132.60
BG Pipe $67.60
8 Clips $17.68
+tax
I wouldn't have bothered with the dealer, but I thought it was a possible warranty issue.
Understandable. Maybe someone that has done this can answer but if as stated above and would seem to be the case the end of the aux pump broke, why did the other things need replaced?

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
None...2011 Golf DSG (replaced by VW W/) 2013 Passat SE 6M(bought back) Current 2017 sportwagen TSI 4Motion.
Understandable. Maybe someone that has done this can answer but if as stated above and would seem to be the case the end of the aux pump broke, why did the other things need replaced?
Because VW dealers always replaces everything to make even the smallest job a project and make $$$$

packley

TDI
2007 Touareg V10
2011 TDI Touareg, 24,000 miles, service followed, filter changed at 20,000.
Dealer claims contaminated diesel fuel therefore not covered, and we have all the fuel receipts including most recent three fill ups from Citgo.
How do we prevail over VW saying no coverage. $10,000+ repair.

We had to leave car 3.5 hours away in Lynchburg, VA, Terry VW. We don't know them and will tow car away to local Tysons Corner, VA dealer for reassessment.
Suggestions?

mysql

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta wagon
Just when i get comfortable thinking keep the car and VW will likely cover repairs if something fails.. I read crap like this :(

VW really wants me to sell my JSW and move on.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
2011 TDI Touareg, 24,000 miles, service followed, filter changed at 20,000.
Dealer claims contaminated diesel fuel therefore not covered, and we have all the fuel receipts including most recent three fill ups from Citgo.
How do we prevail over VW saying no coverage. $10,000+ repair.

We had to leave car 3.5 hours away in Lynchburg, VA, Terry VW. We don't know them and will tow car away to local Tysons Corner, VA dealer for reassessment.
Suggestions?
Contact VWOA customer care ASAP and get them started on a warranty denial claim. Getting it to your own dealer is also a good move. Report is in the HPFP failure thread http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=299854&highlight=hpfp+failure and to NHTSA.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Customer care definitely needs to be involved and a complaint filed against Terry VW for shady diagnostic practices.

Why did Terry claim that it was midfield? Do they have any evidence to support that claim?

WutGas?

Veteran Member
TDI
The Last Real Jetta Sedan
As stated, file with the NHTSA. VW will cover it then I think. Let the dealership know that you reported it.