Another Alternator Pulley Post...

ocnorb

TDI
2003 Jetta grey
Another 2003 alt pulley failure!

My wife called me on her way home today because she heard a loud clunk and then the battery light came on. She said the car was still running, but she wasn't sure what to do. Because she was only a few blocks from home I had her drive it home with no issues.

My guess was that she had lost the serpentine belt; which peeved me because I had just put in a new one 10k back when I did the timing belt. Car now has 105k on it.

When I popped the hood I found the alternator pulley sheared off! The belt was actually perfectly fine- not even a nick in it! I was about to order a new alt when I found this thread. TGFTDI CLUB!!

Will the tool from metalnerd still remove the pulley remnants??

I noticed that the power steering pump is really in the way; what is the best way to access this? From the top by pulling the pump and res, or from the bottom by pulling the skid, etc???

TIA!:)

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
lkchris said:
Couple items of confusion here:

1. Bentley manual for New Beetle conflicts with Metalnerd as regards tool to use to remove/retorque pulley to alternator. Metalnerd states its kit (Part MN3400) will arrive with 10 mm triple-square (XZN) bit. Bentley states tool required is normal hex bit, 6 mm.

2. Bentley describes in text the mult-point socket as tool 3340 but accompanying illustrations id the tool as 3400. Check in official tool catalog
http://buy.equipmentsolutions.com/eqs_va/Net/ItemDetail.aspx?PartNo=3400&qty=1&Desc=MULTI-TOOTH+ADAPTER&ListPrice=%2419.56&itemQty=87&group_id=4&group_name=3&cat_ID=&cat_name=&sub_cat_ID=&sub_cat_name=&item_id=513
confirms tool is indeed item #3400.

My next step appears to be to get NB on lift and verify tool required hopefully by using a mirror.
Chris, I've never seen a 120 amp TDI alternator use the 6 point bit. Always the triplesquare bit. I've done a bunch of them.

The 3400 tool looks just like the Metalnerd tool that goes in the pulley to hold it.