Another 2260 Build

ChippedNotBroken

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta A4 1999.5 Green
MOVING ON TO OTHER THINGS. CAR SOLD.

As noted below in the spec's, the car currently has a 17/22 turbo.

Now that Matt Whitbread has finished the fabrication and installation of my 2260 it seemed appropriate to start a thread. Pictures will follow. Below is a pretty comprehensive list. I will use screen names to describe board members who were a part of this build. Whitbread did most of the fabrication and the installation of the drive train and breathing mods. 87turboquattro (Wild Bill) ported and polished the head, mrchill is responsible for the pistons and TDIJetta99 (I am lucky enough to live about 10 miles from Jason's shop) has done the suspension, lift pump and everything else before and after the build.

Of the big parts the turbo was purchased from IndigoBlueWagon, the engine and transmission from BleachedBora and jsrmonster is programming the car.

PD150 Block (BleachedBora)
Rosten Rods
Standard PD150 pistons (replacing on 5/27/13 Custom Ceramic coated Pistons w/gapless rings (mrchill))
P/P Head w/dual springs (90# seat) and titanium retainers (87turboquattro)
Colt Stage 2 Cam and hardened lifters
17/22 (IDI parts)5/27/13 obtained in a trade of my unused GTB2260vk from (RyanP) Original build was GT2260v which ran till 5/27/13
6 speed DRW w/upgraded Shift Fork (BleachedBora)
DS3 Clutch w/17# single mass flywheel (BleachedBora)
Peloquin LSD (BleachedBora)
11mm pump
RC tune (jsrmonster)
--------------
lift pump (TDIJetta99)
fuel cooler
Nicktane FF (ndamico)
Changed to R520 from Nicktane .260 Nozzles (ndamico)
Custom Intake (Whitbread)
replaced with 17/22 on 5/27/13 Custom Header for 2260 turbo (Whitbread)
2.5 FMIC piping (Whitbread)
3” SS exhaust following were removed ... w/cat and resonator (Whitbread)
PSD08 Powercore Filter - customized

Koni FSD’s (IndigoBlueWagon)
AUDI TT suspension overhaul (BleachedBora)
80 Duro Dogbone (IndigoBlueWagon)
Shine Springs (IndigoBlueWagon)
225/50/16 Continentals on 16” Fitapelli wheels
Slotted brake Rotors

Changed back to 3bar with turbo change 4 bar MAP sensor (RyanP)
Old Navy CCV
Bypass Oil filter
boost and EGT gauges
Battery replace with standard battery Optima D31A Yellowtop (in trunk)

Fabrication Materials
Tubing, vbands, resonator, etc...
Silicone and t bolts
Battery cables and fuse
Battery box
IC core
Misc engine build parts
Machine shop work to Hone and balance
Bolts from fasteners
Antifreeze, lower rad hose, heat wrap, hose clamps, fluids
Fitting, lines, and fuel cooler
Replace after failure with standard rings Total seal rings

================

The next question everyone asks is "How much did this cost?" A better question in my case is where did the money come from, since I ain't got this kinda money.

We all know the stock market crashed back in September of 2008 and hit bottom in March of 2009. I figured that if things got any worse my money wouldn't be worth anything anyway so I begged borrowed and squeezed every penny I could find to buy American stocks like IP, CAT, X, BGS etc...

After more than tripling my original investment I paid off the loans, put some money into a sepIRA, paid my taxes and started this build. It's a good thing that the majority of the work is done since that money is now gone and now I'm on my own dime. Hopefully my wife will find a new job in the next few months so I can polish off the last few experiments on my car and see what it can do on the track next year.

Sold Nov. 8th, 2014

Last edited:

ChippedNotBroken

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta A4 1999.5 Green
Post dated 11/8/2014

Why I sold the car after a 5 year build:

First let me say, I'd do it again. I got a chance to meet a lot of great people and had some VERY interesting times along the way... That said I have a word of caution for those who might want to venture down this path.

If you are not a mechanic, or love to tinker on mechanical things EVERY weekend and have a real aptitude for it, or have VERY deep pockets then just get a tune, maybe slightly larger injectors and call it a day. In the end I handed this project off to someone more qualified to finish it because the people I needed to make this work became unavailable and with this kind of build, there just aren't that many people out there that can put something like this together and polish it off. So... if you can't finish it yourself, best not to start.

Post dated: 5/29/13

Reserved for Final thoughts when car is in running order ......

======================================================

The fit and finish was better than I expected, and I had fairly high expectations. It ran over budget, but from what I have seen with other large builds and from my experience with this build you can count on it costing about double what you were quoted when things started out due to changes you will want to make, and almost everything taking longer than originally planned.
First thing I thought when I drove the car for the first time was about the issues that still need to be resolved. I'll need to get some kind of insulation back under the hood as the noise from the engine/exhaust is loud enough to compete with the radio and the smoke will get me pulled over if I am not careful. The performance while way faster than stock, is nearly what I expected once I build up enough boost, but keeping it in boost and getting it there in the first place is a little more challenging that I anticipated.

I am hopeful that these issues will be resolved in the next few months and I will post as issues are addressed.

This is the Engine/Transmission that was removed to make room for the new stuff. Jason will find a nice home for it

Last edited:

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
Wow, what a great build! Now, which 2260 is it? Matt really has some skills... Has it been fully tuned yet? These things take time to get everything all adjusted...

Last edited:

NoJoke

Veteran Member
I'm assuming you went with Nictane stage 5? Also curious on which 2260 and what rpm's it starts.

I'm excited for your build but I'm also excited its done:p bout time.

darkhorse

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Golf GLS, '01 Dodge/Cummins
Very impressive! Now I know why it took so long to get ahold of Matt.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
It's this one:

It's from a BMW X5 3 liter diesel. It comes with a vacuum actuator, which makes it easier to set up.

hatemi

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A6 4F 3.0TDI
Unfortunately it will start to make EGTs after 1.8bar boost. EMP stays down but temp rises. ~250bhp with sensible EGTs even with water injection.

TheoSweden

Veteran Member
TDI
A3Q,A4Q, Passat Biturbo TDI
Unfortunately it will start to make EGTs after 1.8bar boost. EMP stays down but temp rises. ~250bhp with sensible EGTs even with water injection.
I have realy high EGTs with the same turbo and 2,0bar. And realy low EMPs as you say hatemi.
I would recommend everyone to chose gtb2260vk instead of this turbo even if it was for free. Not worth it...

I realy dont seem to be able to get more that 240-250hp with this turbo and noone have tryed more than me, you are damn right Hatemi.

Last edited:

ChippedNotBroken

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta A4 1999.5 Green
As most of you know these things take time to get dialed in. Right now there is a smoke issue. Not so much at idle or 1/3 throttle but when you push it the smoke is thick until you get over 25# of boost and at 30# of boost it turns into a thick translucent haze as the car feels like you lit two rockets on the side of the car. It starts building boost around 1500 and you can get to full boost before 3000 but it falls off quickly if you don't keep pushing more and more fuel at it. As for EGT's can't say anything about that yet as the guage is not working and we haven't had a chance to investigate.

Based on how it feels I am guessing it's putting down around 180HP or so. While not unhappy I will be looking for ways to make the car faster.

I plan to run the Maxton mile (once they put up a schedule I will try to organize a GTG at the event) some quarter miles and maybe even dragweek next year while keeping it a daily driver and in one piece.

darkhorse

Veteran Member
TDI
Jeff should be able to get you dialed in. It might take a few tries. What are you running as max boost?

ChippedNotBroken

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta A4 1999.5 Green
Jeff should be able to get you dialed in. It might take a few tries. What are you running as max boost?
I was running up a steep two mile mountain climb this afternoon and had sustained boost of about 35psi until I hit about 120mph @ 4500 RPM, so I would say around 35psi. Figured it was a good way to seat the rings.

darkhorse

Veteran Member
TDI
I take it you are not running a MAF. My K3B will pump 35 psi without complaint but Charlie tells me my MAF's control limit is 29.5. I have a PD 150 MAF.

Joe TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
03, 00, 04 MK4 sedans.... 02 MK4 Wagon
Based on how it feels I am guessing it's putting down around 180HP or so.
We should run em up I-84 and see how fast mine pulls away from yours...LoL Then we'll get a better idea of how much HP u have. ;)

The fabrication looks top notch... really nice work. I can't wait to see it in person. You should come down to the shop on Monday night. I'd like to see it and possibly take it for a ride if that's ok with you?

Once you get it tweaked right, it's gonna be monster. What stage tune do you have? Is it RC5? You should have no less than RC6!!

ChippedNotBroken

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta A4 1999.5 Green
Nope, JR set me up with a MAF based tune. That may change, but for now thats the way I'm riding. I did replace my MAP sensor with a MAP 3 sensor.

I just swapped the chips back out for the original base tune and they have RC5+ written on them, so I would guess a RC5.5?

I take it you are not running a MAF. My K3B will pump 35 psi without complaint but Charlie tells me my MAF's control limit is 29.5. I have a PD 150 MAF.

Last edited:

diesel-dave

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 wagon TDI, 2003 wagon Tdi, 2013 Q7 Tdi
Nope, JR set me up with a MAF based tune. That may change, but for now thats the way I'm riding. I did replace my MAP sensor with a MAP 3 sensor.

I just swapped the chips back out for the original base tune and they have RC5+ written on them, so I would guess a RC5.5?
hows the turbo sound? any whistle like a big rig?

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
you really only hear the turbo above about 22psi, and it's really not even that loud. I thought the turbo sound would be a lot more pronounced. it's still not quite right.. I got it to run a LOT better by playing with the actuator/timing/IQ, but the amount of smoke that comes out of this thing is unreal, even at high boost levels.. It smokes like a modded cummins at the track haha.

and btw, the head porting was 87turboquattro, unless he changed his username recently:p

jjordan11

Veteran Member
TDI
1988 Audi 80 quattro PD130, 1982 Westfalia TDI
I could be off, but shouldn't you have a 4 bar map sensor? If it's boosting to 35psi, the ecm won't read pressure that high, with a 3 bar map sensor it will only read to 29 psi (one bar atmosphere, and 2 bar X 14.5psi= 29 psi)

ChippedNotBroken

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta A4 1999.5 Green
I could be off, but shouldn't you have a 4 bar map sensor? If it's boosting to 35psi, the ecm won't read pressure that high, with a 3 bar map sensor it will only read to 29 psi (one bar atmosphere, and 2 bar X 14.5psi= 29 psi)
All I know is what I saw on the gauge when I was driving up the mountain, it was sustained for at least 30 or 40 seconds. Could be an inaccurate reading on the gauge or some other anomaly. I'm going to need another gauge anyway since this one only goes up to 35 and I have a suspicion that I'll be needing to track higher boost pressures. We were talking the other day about either a 3.5 or 4 bar as well as putting a 99.5 gasser cluster on my car so I can actually see when I am hitting the higher rev limit. Can't wait. This thing revs freely and easily up to 4500 RPM.

Last edited:

diesel-dave

Veteran Member
TDI
wow 35 psi?!?! amazing! hows the head gasket holding?

ChippedNotBroken

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta A4 1999.5 Green
wow 35 psi?!?! amazing! hows the head gasket holding?
ARP and lower compression pistons should help hold the head on. That and I don't ever expect to be running at maximum boost for more than 40 or 50 seconds. Hell, unless I was going up hill for more than 5 or 6 miles at top speed or towing a heavy trailer I can't imagine where I would be able to sustain those boost levels for longer than that. Like I said before it is really hard to sustain boost on this thing without adding more and more fuel.

Last edited:

diesel-dave

Veteran Member
TDI
ARP head studs and lower compression pistons should help hold the head on. That and I don't ever expect to be running at maximum boost for more than 40 or 50 seconds. Hell, unless I was going up hill for more than 5 or 6 miles at top speed or towing a heavy trailer I can't imagine where I would be able to sustain those boost levels for longer than that. Like I said before it is really hard to sustain boost on this thing without adding more and more fuel.
cool, looking forward to video !!!!!!!!!

darkhorse

Veteran Member
TDI
It sounds like fun! Still, all that smoke says things are not in line yet. Just wait, this will get much better.

NoJoke

Veteran Member
hows the turbo sound? any whistle like a big rig?
you really only hear the turbo above about 22psi, and it's really not even that loud. I thought the turbo sound would be a lot more pronounced. it's still not quite right.. I got it to run a LOT better by playing with the actuator/timing/IQ, but the amount of smoke that comes out of this thing is unreal, even at high boost levels.. It smokes like a modded cummins at the track haha.
and btw, the head porting was 87turboquattro, unless he changed his username recently:p
Could it have a silencer ring? Had a 12 valve that I removed the ring from and it sounded like a jet. From all the research and conversations I've had; do the 4 bar and possibly a map based tune.

diesel-dave

Veteran Member
TDI
Could it have a silencer ring? Had a 12 valve that I removed the ring from and it sounded like a jet. From all the research and conversations I've had; do the 4 bar and possibly a map based tune.
Nope not the one