Another 01M question

kgirlbug2k

Veteran Member
Might be hope yet as my Ebay TDI NB has apparently done the following en route to her timing belt change.

(Copied from seller's email)
[FONT=arial,sans-serif]
Hi BJ It is monday the 17th and we got the bug to todd at the shop we had trouble we the trans not shifting at all on the way there so I just went ahead and had it towed to Todd. Hope he can tell whats wrong the cel came on and stayed so I am not sure what the deal is but the motor was running great but would not go. guess we will see. did you get the papers we sent?[/FONT]

[FONT=arial,sans-serif] bj car would go out of park but would just barely move so I stoped so not to do anymore damage . I had a tow truck come and pick me and the car up. glad you got the papers . [/FONT]

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Very few of these set DTCs, and not every transmission-related DTC will cause the MIL to come on.

Mostly there are just large chunks in the pan. :eek:

kgirlbug2k

Veteran Member
Prays quietly that its something simple as the cat converter that clogged on my 2.0 and made my car refuse to shift...or the transmission wiring harness that blew on my husband's 2.0 and did pretty much the same thing as this.

oilhammer

TDI
You know that pic above is funny.... because in addition to the transmission, they charged for a 'screw'. That is just funny. :p

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
No more 01M for me.

Notice that my 02 Golf is with "someone else". Now I can sleep better at night knowing that the 01M curse is off my back. She was shifting OK when I sold her.;)

TDIfor

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 NB Double Yellow
My question is, what is failing in the 01Ms? I gather the remans work OK, so its apparantly not a major design flaw, just some part upgrades that make it work more-better?

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
Beej,

its time to think out loud here.

if you can stand to part it out, the car/motor is worth more than you paid for it.

if you can stand to spend another 4k or so, you might be able to get another rebuilt transmisison in there.

if you are a gambling woman, you can find a used auto tranny, that might last a week, might last years. that is the gamble.

if you have time, a 5-speed swap is possible, the hard part is finding the used TDI transmission. most of the rest of the swap bits can be gotten from a gasser 5-speed. golf, jetta or NB. all should be similiar, but there may be specific differences to look out for. this might be the cheapest option if you are patient and good at finding the right parts.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Now that Freddie has made his appearance.. (and I knew he would)

do you have any lines on good transmissions for her Brian? (of either type?)

oilhammer

TDI
Growler said:
Now that Freddie has made his appearance.. (and I knew he would)

do you have any lines on good transmissions for her Brian? (of either type?)
Yep. I call the dealer, order an 01M-300-032-GX and install it. Problem solved. Simple. :)

kgirlbug2k

Veteran Member
Getting a big laugh...the electronics tech at work hates diesels, and suggested I name it Freddy, as "its silver so Mercury works, and diesels are a little fruity."

Well, now...the first problem is getting it home then.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Is Todd going to try to service the transmission fluid & filter to see if it has any life left? or only the timing belt?

kgirlbug2k

Veteran Member
I asked him to do diagnostics on the tranny while he is at the timing belt...so its a wait and see...heck, if you want to talk to him, thats fine by me!

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
I wouldnt know what to ask. I've never worked on one before. MoGolf is my local Auto tranny expert.. he has one and has had it fail on him.

Dieseltoys

Vendor
TDI
Toyota Diesel
update

Well, I drained the pan and removed the filter. Cleaned up everything and installed a fresh gasket, filter, and fresh fluid. Took it for a test drive and she runs great! Dodged a bullet here...

kgirlbug2k

Veteran Member
Grins, John (Cetacean) and I are hunting flights to San Antonio now...

Hey Todd, how much fluid was in that pan ;)

Oh Aaron, Rodney is past due for his change too...hopefully I can get it done while I'm gone but if not....?

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Beej.

if you are up for it, I could be talked into doing your Tranny fluid & Filter change in the near future. along with any other work you would like to get done.

Have you read up on the IPT Valve body? http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=230780

I might look into getting one of thses for my Eurovan. IIRC the 01P is the same tranny as the 01M, except its tilted 15 degrees and attached to the VR6...

oilhammer

TDI
Growler said:
I might look into getting one of thses for my Eurovan. IIRC the 01P is the same tranny as the 01M, except its tilted 15 degrees and attached to the VR6...
...and it has the uber-low final drive ratio and slightly different mountings. :)