And yet another Toyota swap, but M-Tdi.

JaysinSpaceman

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
Just so you don't think I am forgetting to up date I thought all of you should know that my home and shop are in the path of the Butte Fire in Calaveras County, CA. We are evacuated and I got some of my tools out as well as some of the important stuff from our house and we are safe and away from the fire. I managed to get the truck and parts out too but without my shop it may be a while before there is any movement. And right now it's not looking like we will have much to go home to if anything but we have our fingers crossed. The most important thing is that we are safe.

Thanx,
Jaysin

deejaaa

Veteran Member
TDI
FOR SALE, 2002 Jetta GLS, 5 speed
sorry to hear that there might be a total loss. my fingers are crossed also and good luck.

JaysinSpaceman

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
The fire on our end is under control and unless some crazy wind storm should come through it should stay that way. Our home and my shop are safe. That said we drove up today to check things out and left through the burn area and there are many people that were not as lucky. I will likely be volunteering to help out those less fortunate with clean up and to start rebuilding. This has been a very hard time for me and all you words of encouragement helped me out a lot. Thank you all very much.

Jaysin

Chkn

TDI
2013 JSW
Glad to hear that everything is okay for you and your family. Unfortunate to hear about the others that weren't so lucky.

JaysinSpaceman

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
I am trying to get back to normal after the whole fire evacuation and so I started working on getting the rest of the engine back together. So I thought I would get some engine pictures for you. This is as it sits right now. I am hoping that tomorrow I can go pick up the rest of the truck so I can get this thing in and going soon. Here you go...

And I am also going to make a run of the adapter that I designed. I am hoping to have at least a few ready to send out around the beginning of October. Cumminsfromthecold will be the first to receive one.

That's a stack of seven blanks. I made a master drill fixture when I built mine so I should be able to spit them out in a reasonable amount of time. I still need to order all the hardware to go along with them and then turn up a few alignment dowels.

Thanx,
Jaysin

cumminsfromthecold

Veteran Member
TDI
'84 Toyota 1Z 4WD x-cab
Haven't been on here much, but I've thinking about you and hoping you all would be ok. Scary close, and that was a scary powerful fire. 71000 acres: 475 residences, 343 outbuildings, 45 structures damaged. You have been busy!

I am stoked about the plate, but man, take your time! The blanks are exciting to see. I am so glad not to be putting together something that I'll just be pulling out in another 13,000 miles. :D

JaysinSpaceman

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
Haven't been on here much, but I've thinking about you and hoping you all would be ok. Scary close, and that was a scary powerful fire. 71000 acres: 475 residences, 343 outbuildings, 45 structures damaged. You have been busy!

I am stoked about the plate, but man, take your time! The blanks are exciting to see. I am so glad not to be putting together something that I'll just be pulling out in another 13,000 miles. :D
This was the fire that they've been talking about up here since I was a kid. It was definitely too close for comfort and it could have easily gone much worse, if it wasn't for the change in weather and wee bit of rain I likely would not be sitting here in my house but rebuilding it.

Your new adapter will be coming up shortly and getting back to work has made it easier to feel normal (or as normal as I get) after all the craziness of evacuating. I never gave any thought to how weird it would be to come back home, there's a lot of thankfulness but there is also a feeling of guilt that my home is still here while other's homes are gone. Surviver's guilt?

Any way working on stuff helps keep my mind off all the weirdness.

Jaysin

JaysinSpaceman

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
It's back where it belongs...

I have one exhaust flange to redo because I wasn't happy with the sealing surface of the original. I just have to finish hooking things up and then fill fluids and it will hopefully be a runner again.

I also installed a GeeBee Silicon Hose kit from Bora Parts. Pretty happy with it although I did have to trim a few ends because they were just a hair too long, but better too long then too short. It looks like this installed.

It's about god damned time,
Jaysin

JaysinSpaceman

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
Well, it lives! Did the cam break-in Wednesday morning and put about 10 miles on it only to find I had a clutch issue. I fixed that, it was my fault I was mixing and matching too many different parts. Changed the Break-in oil, and I have put another 60 or so miles on it today. It's a happy feeling but I will be much happier after I have 5000 more miles on it.

YEAH!!!!
Jaysin

JaysinSpaceman

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
I will try to get a few pictures and a video or two soon.

I am still dialing in my mechanical VNT turbo control but so far it seems to be working as I expected, vanes are open at low throttle and close progressively as throttle is applied. I hadn't said anything about yet because I wanted to see if it was even going to work, let alone work as I planned. I'll try to post a few pictures of that system and an explanation of how it works too. I have studied several mechanical controls but they all had way to many moving parts, like a Rube Goldberg machine. I like simple, it's harder to do then complex but the result is often better.

Thanx for looking,
Jaysin

Last edited:

JaysinSpaceman

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
So I said I would post a bit about my vnt control...

It is fairly simple. The amount the vanes are closed is controlled by the throttle position just like most of the mechanical VNT controls work but I didn't like all of the monkey motion of the linkages that most are using. I made a needle valve that is opened and bleeding off vacuum (at Idle) and closes progressively as you apply throttle (there by building vacuum and closing the vanes, I call this the Dynamic Bleed Valve), the overall vacuum the system sees is controlled by a set and forget adjustable needle valve. Boost pressure maximum is controlled via a Dawes Device that sees boost from the intake manifold. Tuning of the system can be done several different ways, the vacuum is controllable via a needle valve, the vacuum bleed (attached to the throttle lever) is adjustable by changing the starting point of the needle valve at idle (closed more brings boost sooner and open more lowers cruise boost), and then the Dawes Device limits the maxium boost the turbo produces.

Here is pictures of the system...

The overall system. Blue lines are vacuum side of the control and red/orange lines are the boost side.

Dawes Device and vacuum can on BV43 turbo.

Adjustable needle valve to control vacuum to the Dynamic Bleed Valve.

Cable operated Dynamic Bleed Valve.

Here are three pictures of the Dynamic Bleed Valve at Idle, half throttle and full throttle. Notice in the three pictures how the needle is sticking out at half and further at full throttle.

Sorry the pictures aren't better but you can see the needle at the end of the Dynamic Control Valve opposite my finger and sticking out of the brass jet.

Idle. Needle not sticking out at all, valve full open.

Half throttle. Needle sticking out about half way.

Full throttle. Needle out all the way and the bleed is closed.

I will guess there will be a bunch of questions so I will leave you to digest this much tonight. I am still playing with tuning but so far it is working just like I imagined.

Thanx for playing along,
Jaysin

JaysinSpaceman

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
I guess there's not any questions or much interest but then I guess most of you guys don't dig the M-TDi stuff. I drove the truck to Sierra college where I teach on Thursdays, 140 miles round trip, and it did well. The turbo is controlled way better then before, I am now running 2-4 psi on the flat at 65 mph instead of the 9-11 psi that I was cruising at before.

Oh well. I hope to get a video or two soon, if I can figure out how to work my video camera. Sometimes I'm not very tech savvy.

Jaysin

Rockwell

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (R.I.P.), 1.6TD Toyota pickup, 2011 BMW 335d, 1996 Passat TDI
Very interested in this build. I'm always reading the conversion threads, especially the Toyota ones. I'm not getting much action on my build, haven't done anything exciting in awhile. I'd be interested in a video. I thought about an M-TDI but actually wanted to do the wiring, what you did seems more challenging

JaysinSpaceman

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
I always read it and I'm super in to mtdi, I just don't have any questions!
Same here. Been watching your thread since the start
Apparently I explained it better then I thought.

And for Rockwell, I have thought long an hard about doing another swap into a 89 2wd pickup that I have. I think that would make a rocket ship and likely get 40+mpg. It's just too bad that most of the 2wd Toyota trucks can't carry much weight. Well that and I have toooo much other stuff to do before I can possibly think about another swap. Keep working on it.

Jaysin

P.S. I played a wee bit more with the VNT control tuning and it just keeps working better and better.

JaysinSpaceman

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
Not a huge amount as I haven't spent any time on the freeway yet and where I live it is mighty hilly. I drove it to school the other day and I hit about 5 miles of relatively straight, more or less flat hwy and it seems to be carrying about 3-4 psi boost at 65 mph. And when I accelerate to mid-throttle the boost jumps right up to 12-14 psi and 3/4 to full throttle gives me 22-23 psi. As soon as I let off it comes back to 2-3 psi and if I coast it drops to 0 psi. A friend said to me about my Dynamic Vacuum Control Valve, "That's a great analog conversion of a digital device", I feel like that really just sums it up.

That said I am still tweaking it some and once I get it on the freeway I will likely have to play with it a bit more.

Thanx,
Jaysin

JaysinSpaceman

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
Maybe. I need to do some sorting and testing still. But if I do I will have to find a supplier with a CNC lathe for the parts as I could not possible sell it for the cost of the manual lathe work involved. I'm going to talk to my neighbor as that is what he does for a living.

Jaysin

JaysinSpaceman

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
So I have been driving it around, all over the place really. The VNT controller seems to be working great. The roads around me don't really qualify as flat but on the flattest roads I have driven on at cruise the boost is running 3-5 psi (As soon as I step on it the boost jumps right up) and the EGTs are running at about 750-900 degrees (pre-turbo), the range is due to slight up or down hill and whether I am traveling into or with the wind. On the little freeway driving I have done it seems to like about 70MPH in high gear which puts the motor at about 2200-2300rpm. The first two fill-ups (really half tank fill-ups) seems to be right around 30-32 mpg which is a 3-5 mpg increase from the way I was running the turbo before with the vanes always closed unless at max boost. I am still playing with all the tuning of the IP and VNT control. I really want/need a diesel pulse timing adapter so I can look at the timing in degrees of crank rotation but it's hard to drop the coin they want for one. If anyone out there would be willing to loan one to me for a few weeks I would be grateful, I would be happy to pay shipping both ways and toss a few bucks rent to you. If anyone will, please shoot me a PM.

Thanx,
Jaysin

cumminsfromthecold

Veteran Member
TDI
'84 Toyota 1Z 4WD x-cab
Great to hear about its performance. I'd love to check it out (with my new adapter plate in and powering me down south). :D I, for one watch/read your build (having also seen the truck) and am simply impressed with the craftsmanship and detail involved. Nothing to offer. I really do like that it essentially lacks electronics.