And yet another Toyota swap, but M-Tdi.

JaysinSpaceman

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
Hi everybody,

I've been hanging out here collecting info and doing research for about a year and a half now in preparation for swapping a Tdi into my 1983 Toyota Hilux and I have officially started the engine swap part of the build. I have a full build thread going on over at the Off-road Fabrication Network but I wanted to post the TDI related bits here as well. If you want to see the whole build you can find it HERE.

So this is the truck I started out with. Bad L52 gearbox, sold the engine and and bed. It has received a W56 gearbox and will be getting a flatbed.

This is the transmission cross member that I built for it. The W56 is 4.75" longer then the L52 that came out. The cross member moves the gearbox back only 2.75" however, so that the engine has 2" more clearance at the fire wall.

And a shot of it under the truck.

As you guys will undoubtedly recognize this is the ahu engine that I picked up from Quality German down in LA area. It reportedly has only 66,xxx miles on it, so barely broken in. The adapter for the W56 gearbox came from Acme and I picked it up from Jimbote a few months back.

Here is the Cummins 4bt pump that will be finding it's way onto the engine. Thanx to all the various people that have posted about building their M-Tdi pumps and a big thanx to WestyMan for pointing me in the right direction for the internal mods.

I designed the the motor mounts in the last week or so and got them fabbed up yesterday and the motor is now hanging on it's own (although I still need to finish weld everything, but I will wait until I am absolute about the placement before I do). I am using Mercedes 300D engine mounts, hopefully they will quell the bad vibes.

Passenger side from above.

Passenger side from below.

Drivers side mount from below. It isn't easy to see from above so I didn't bother to try to get a picture. It is in the way of the oil filter a bit so I will have to run a remote filter adapter, but this is fine as I really want to add a remote oil cooler as well anyway.

And the last picture is of the ALH manifold (another from Jimbote) that I cut off in preparation for modifications. While I could have used it in it's stock form the connection for the turbo plumbing stuck up really high and would have been rather gangly looking and barely cleared the hood. The cut of portion will get a 2 1/2" aluminum tube welded to the length of the manifold. As well as making it lower I am hoping that it will also feed the cylinders more equally then the stock design, helping to make less smoke and lower EGTs.

That's it for today, I will keep posting as I continue to work on it. Feel free to ask away, I will do my best to answer the wherefors and whyhows.

Thanx for looking,
Jaysin

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Good start on a nice project .......... keep us posted, including pics!

JaysinSpaceman

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
So I got a wee bit of work done this afternoon. I machined the hump sort of thing from the front of the ALH IP pulley and then flipped it around on the hub to get the right offset to install the 4bt pump.

Machined side. Hump gone.

And then flipped an mounted to the hub. This will now be the front side.

The pulley was really easy to machine, probably ductile iron or maybe grey iron, either way it cut like butter on my little lathe.

Jaysin

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
So I got a wee bit of work done this afternoon. I machined the hump sort of thing from the front of the ALH IP pulley and then flipped it around on the hub to get the right offset to install the 4bt pump.

Machined side. Hump gone.

And then flipped an mounted to the hub. This will now be the front side.

The pulley was really easy to machine, probably ductile iron or maybe grey iron, either way it cut like butter on my little lathe.

Jaysin
Looks great!!.....the first hub I was going to send you had a bolt hole stripped:confused:....never seen that before so I pulled the hub you have from a locked up parts pump:)....I think the pump pulleys are powdered metal....I think the same material VW makes the cam gears from..... where did you pick up that sweet lookin' 4BT pump?

JaysinSpaceman

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
Jimmy,

Thanx for sending a good hub, not that I couldn't have fixed a bad one if need be. No matter what the pulley is actually made of it machines very easily.

As for the 4bt pump. I got it several years ago from ebay, back when I was first looking into the whole M-Tdi thing. Just dumb luck I guess.

Thanx,
Jaysin

JaysinSpaceman

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
Hey, I am looking for a throttle arm. I believe it comes from one of the earlier IDI pumps. It is taller then the throttle arm on my cummins pump and has a taller return spring as well. I need the arm,spring and any other parts that are between the arm and the pump case. I was hoping someone out there in TV land might have a locked up or otherwise junk pump that they might be able to sell me these parts from.

It should look like this. Circled in red.

Thanx,
Jaysin

P.S. I hope to have a small update for you soon.

JaysinSpaceman

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
Had some spare time and got a bit more done today. That ALH intake got put back together all new. I used some 2 1/2" x .120 wall aluminum tube to make the plenum and then tapered some of the same tube to make a transition down to the 2" inlet tube (all my IC piping will be 2"). The taper is also offset to clear the timing belt cover. The 2" inlet is some heavy wall tube I had laying around that I machined a hose barb onto and then bored out as much as I could to open it up.

Now what you really want, the pictures (after all a picture is worth 1000 words).

I was going to remove the two bosses for the stock EGR cooler but I thought that they may come in handy later so I left them for now, I can always remove them later. Maybe I'll build my turbo support off them.

Aluminum welding isn't really my forte (just not enough consistent practice) but it came out fairly well. I am never really happy with the look of my aluminum welds but they're sound.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Thanx for playing along,
Jaysin

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Nice welding!!...I definitely need more practice....on your pump lever why can't you use the stock 4bt?....do you plan on switching the internal throttle spring for a multi stage caged spring? ....PM sent ;)

Last edited:

JaysinSpaceman

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
I've got a wee update. My customer meeting got canceled today so I had all day to dick around on my projects. So today I tackled the mounting of the intercooler and started on the charge air piping.

Here's the intercooler mounted. It fits behind the stock grill (just barely) and besides the intercooler itself it shouldn't block too much air to the radiator. You can also see how I had to modify the hood latch support to clear the intercooler.

Here's a close up of the two sheet metal mounts. It is really solid in there.

Turbo to intercooler plumbing all tacked together.

I thought I'd share a little tool I came up with today, this is just a "proof of concept". I figured there had to be a more accurate way to cut U-bends so today I came up with this slide that sits over my band saw table. You set the U-bend over the center circle and position it at the angle you want to cut and then push it through the saw. If you want to do another size of tube or another radius of bend all you have to do is cut out another alignment circle and bolt it to the slide because the slide stays centered. It's an MDF slide with a piece of sheet metal screwed to the edge which guides along the edge of the band saw table. I pre cut the slot the band goes through to cut the part with my skill saw so that the blade would have some clearance. Sorry I don't have any complete U-bends to show but I thought about taking the pictures at the end of the day.

I threw a 90 on it to give you a better Idea.

And lastly, I cut out the exhaust flange a few days ago but haddn't gotten a picture so I thought I'd add it here.

There's today's update. Hopefully I will receive my SS tubing for the exhaust manifold in a day or two and can start on it soon too.

Thanx,
Jaysin

JayTee013

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta TDI, 1992 toyota Pickup TDI project
Turbo location

Love the turbo location... See my toyota build, I put mine in the same spot. Just out of curiosity, what does your return oil line look like on turbo? Did you stick with the stock location where it enters the block or are you going to tap into the oil pan up front. I went to stock location and I don't have alot of pitch (it is still much lower than turbo so I assume it will be fine). Also just FYI the kerma tdi braided s/s oil feed line is just about the right length to feed the turbo in that location, not sure what your plans were there.

AWESOME CRAFTSMANSHIP!!! Looks like a really nice install, much cleaner than mine...

JayTee013

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta TDI, 1992 toyota Pickup TDI project
P.S. i also like the manifold flange, How thick did you make yours? where did you get your stainless and are you making a header or just a manifold?

-Jesse

JaysinSpaceman

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
P.S. i also like the manifold flange, How thick did you make yours? where did you get your stainless and are you making a header or just a manifold?

-Jesse
In answer to your questions.

One more quick update. I got the stainless for the exhaust manifold (the material came from Columbia River Mandrel Bends) and couldn't help myself this afternoon. I had cut the 3/8" flange about a week or so ago and I just needed to get started. I will be honest here, I had decided to build a true header but in the interest of getting this project back on the road I have gone back to the easier (and cheaper) route of a swept log style manifold. That said I still think it will work fairly well and a hell of a lot better then the stock cast iron one. Once I get it back on the road I can always make a few weeks work of building a real header, and spend $350 on bends and collector. I just don't want that old scope creep to keep this thing off the road.

Anyway, the pictures. Sorry that they are crappy cell phone pics but I was in a hurry. All the parts are made but I have yet to tack it all together.

I'm off on the annual summer family lake trip. Drink beer, swim, wake board, relax and hang out.

Thanx for looking,
Jaysin

JaysinSpaceman

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
So I'm back from a really nice break and I dove right into it as I am waiting on a little paying work. Anyway the pictures will show more then I can write. I only tacked the new manifold together as I need to get my purge gas bottle refilled but with it tacked I can get started on the turbo down pipe.

Up close.

And overall.

And as suggested I found some silicone "hump" connectors and redid the charge air plumbing.

Short update but I am getting stuff done. Hopefully I'll have another update soon.

Thanx for looking.
Jaysin

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
That turbo be lookin' nice!!...so glad you putting it to use after it languished on the shelf for over a year....I really dig the header too...reminds me of an old school indy car setup or a WWII fighter plane collector ;)

Last edited:

JaysinSpaceman

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
Thanx Jimmy. Not that I was really looking to copy that style but it does seem the most efficient of the log style manifolds. No pictures yet but I did get started on the turbo down pipe. In order to get everything to fit around it though I might just need to build a heat shield or two.

Thanx,
Jaysin

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
Nice fabrication work

JaysinSpaceman

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
So now I have a question. I've been working on work stuff for a while but I hope to get some things done on the project as work is slower right now and I am thinking about ordering the stainless for the exhaust system. I already have a 2 1/2" stainless down pipe tacked together and the rest of the exhaust is next. I have read through a lot of the performance Tdi section looking at exhausts and it seems in the Tdi cars 2.25" exhaust is the normal performance exhaust but then a few of the Yota swaps guys are going out to 3" pipe. My question is how big is big enough for these little 1.9l engines. Should I just do 2.5 out or go to 3" after the down pipe? I am planning on some sort of straight through muffler (glass pack style) or from an environmental standpoint should I do just a cat and no muffler?

Thanx for any help here.
Jaysin

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
not speaking from experiance but after reading a lot of threads I would say 3" or at least the biggest that you can afford (space vs $$$)

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
TDImeister posted an email he received from a turbocharger development engineer for Garrett Engine Boosting Systems in another thread about exhaust manifolds:

"As for 2.5" vs. 3.0", the "best" turboback exhaust depends on the amount of flow, or horsepower. At 250 hp, 2.5" is fine. Going to 3" at this power level won't get you much, if anything, other than a louder exhaust note. 300 hp and you're definitely suboptimal with 2.5". For 400-450 hp, even 3" is on the small side.”

It is a good read, if you're interested:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=1511431&postcount=19

Last edited:

JaysinSpaceman

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
So while I haven't been updating this build I have been doing things in between work, you know you gotta pay the bills.

First up, my exhaust manifold is now all welded up. I purged it with argon and carefully welded away. It did pull a wee bit but nothing that I can't surface out of the flange, probably less then .010".

I also started the turbo down pipe. As is the manifold, this is also 304 stainless and I will continue with 304 out the back. It may be a bit more expensive now but it will never need rebuilding due to rust. So far it is just tacked together I will wait to get more of the system built before I weld it up.

I also went to the junkyard and scrounged an aluminum radiator out of a V6 4runner. Then I proceeded to cut off the plastic tanks to make it work with the swap (I did this same thing to build the radiator in my 37 Chevy pickup, saved me $300 over buying one). See, the Tdi being out of a wrong wheel drive car has both of the coolant hoses (supply and return) on the side of the engine that used to face forward and this wouldn't work with the stock radiator. So the top and bottom hose connections are now on the same side of the core on the drivers side.

Now before anyone pitches a fit about how this is going to short circuit the radiator core I also built a baffle into the top tank to make sure that the coolant doesn't short circuit and is distributed across the whole core. You can see the baffle in this next picture. There are holes across the length of the baffle (the area of the holes are slightly greater then the area of the hose inlet) and also an opening at the opposite end of the tank where the original inlet was. I have the bottom tank welded to the core but I still have to weld the top tank on. (Man, do I ever need more practice TIG welding aluminum, especially thin material, although the old core doesn't help either. It won't leak but it isn't the prettiest.)

The next picture is of the inter cooler piping that I moved to clear the Ford Taurus electric fan that I picked up at the junkyard as well. I had to re-clock the compressor housing a wee bit and add 2" to the bend that goes through the core support. I have designed a fan shroud that I hope to build later this week or early next week as time allows.

After reading about other swaps of these Tdi's into Toyotas and the problems of holding the low end torque with the 8.75" clutches (even the 1600# MC clutches aren't doing the trick) the brilliant Jimbote came up with the fact that you can remachine a late 9.25" 22re or 22rte flywheel to accept the 5vz-fe V6 10" clutch. So I followed suit and machined up a flywheel.

And last but not least we have the puzzle of the week. Not one but two Bosch VE injector pumps torn appart at the same time. We have the far pump that is all mechanical (originally from a Cummins 4bt) and the electronic VE pump that came on the Tdi. From here is is a matter of swapping and modifying parts to get the Tdi to run (correctly) without a computer. To tell the truth the Bosch VE injector pumps are much simpler then people make them out to be. For some reason people think they are magic but they are a very logical mechanical apparatus and have fewer moving parts then I somehow imagined. None the less, it is a bit disconcerting to have two of them apart at the same time.

I hope to post more soon. I have a few days work to bust out and then it's back to the swap.

Thanx for watching at home,
Jaysin

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Nice work man!!...now take all the parts from both pumps, put em' in a five gallon bucket lid on, shake and reassemble!! :D ....then you'll be doin sumthin'!! ...this thing is going to be such a bada$$ zombie apocalypse proof vehicle...I can't wait to hear it run!!

JaysinSpaceman

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
Nice work man!!...now take all the parts from both pumps, put em' in a five gallon bucket lid on, shake and reassemble!! :D ....then you'll be doin sumthin'!! ...this thing is going to be such a bada$$ zombie apocalypse proof vehicle...I can't wait to hear it run!!
Thanx Jimmy, I am hoping to have a reliable tractor when I am finished. Something no EMP will kill. Maybe run over a zombie or two as well, HAHA.

Onto the next installment...

I got some time this afternoon to finish up my radiator and the fan shroud. I think I said before that I had grabbed a Ford Taurus two speed electric fan from the junk yard that I was planning on using and as it turns out it will work good but the fact that it has a deep motor (read big and powerful) makes it a bit of a tight fit. Enough yakking, on to the pictures.

You can see the slits I cut on the bend points for the fan support, these will be welded up before it's put in service.

These next two show just how much room the fan takes up between the radiator and turbo. I have to install the radiator from the top and the fan shroud barely squeezes in from the bottom. I may need to remove the turbo to get it all in once the parts are all painted so as to avoid scratching everything.

Man do these Taurus fans suck and by suck I mean move a butt load of air.

On to the next challenge.

Thanx for looking,
Jaysin

JaysinSpaceman

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
Another little bit of work done, I finished the cold side of the intercooler plumbing today. It was a tight squeeze to get it to clear the battery in it's stock location and I had to use a silicone elbow to do it but I guess you need to make compromises occasionally. I think it turned out well and my aluminum TIG skills are coming back little by little.

And I also received the 2.5" factory Jacobs/Cummins exhaust brake, got it for a great price off of ebay. The actuator is an air cylinder controlled by pressure so it means I will need to add a compressor to the list of stuff for the truck I don't really know what it's off of but it seems to be the right size for what I want to do. It is a orifice brake but I will be plugging the orifice and using a waste gate to control back pressure and braking force.

I'll post up as this part gets added. I think it will be really cool to have an exhaust brake to help in the hills where I live.

I keep posting updates in case someone is watching.

Thanx,
Jaysin

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
keep em' comin' man!!...we are watching!!....you have very good fab skills and I like the way you lay stuff out in the bay, very thought through and organized!!...can't wait to here this one run ;)

JaysinSpaceman

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
Yes, I have a PlasmaCAM table that I use for my fabrication business. I make loads of sheet parts for myself too, flanges, brackets, tabs, the list goes on and on. I could, and have, made a lot of parts by hand but the table makes it sooo much faster, I don't have to spend time making templates and grinding to clean up parts after being hand cut. And when you are charging customers for the time it makes a huge difference in the bottom line, not to mention that it allows me to get more done in a day.

As far as the layout of what I build, this is not my first barn dance. While this is the first diesel engine in a Toyota I have swapped I have done 9 or 10 engine swaps over the years and have learned a thing or two about making things accessible and keeping thing from interfering.

Thanx,
Jaysin