Anatomy of an engine mount

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
As I reported in this thread of what to look for when an engine mount fails, you might wonder what can fail in these mounts.

There are no moving parts other than the compression/decompression caused by the engine vibrations, and engine mass moving as the car moves.

This is a profile of a mount. The small round area to right of center is where the fluid is filled and then the hole is plugged.

The four main parts are the top, inner disk, lower rubber cup, and bottom.

The top has the top stud, rubber mounting bonded to metal shell and the metal shell that gets crimped to clamp the whole thing together.

Inside that is a disk that appears to control fluid going from one side of the disk to the other.

The top of the disk.

The bottom of the disk.

The fluid would appear to go in near the "arrow" and pass through a small notch into the arrow to flow into the rest of the mount.

The remaining parts are a rubber cup and the bottom shell with stud.

The only thing that can fail is the rubber cup and its sealing to the bottom of the disk. There's no sealant. If the crimped metal wears, the tightness of the joint will fail. A leak will result. I would expect a failure to leak fluid from the crimped area. However, the mounts are leaking from the bottom holes in the bottom shell. This implies a failure of the rubber cup.

Not pictured is the fluid. It kept running out of the picture. ;) It looks and feels like Mercon transmission fluid or something similar.

Sloppy Snood

Veteran Member
TDI
Passsat
What is the expected life cycle of these engine mounts?

Is there a recommended inspection interval (VW or guru)?