Amsoil 15W40 Diesel Marine Oil

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
went to the link: "AMSOIL Synthetic Heavy Duty Diesel & Marine Motor Oil". Beyond that, why not just use an oil specifically suggested for your engine?

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
went to the link: "AMSOIL Synthetic Heavy Duty Diesel & Marine Motor Oil". Beyond that, why not just use an oil specifically suggested for your engine?
I agree. Why do a lot of people here seem to look for the magic elixir of motor oils. I think we all know what already works very well in a TDI application. I could see it if it were less expensive than what is currently being used but that sure ain't Amsoil.

Riflesmith

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI 6M, 2015 Golf TDI 6A

Possibly because the recommended oils for the BRM have not proven to protect properly.

The Amsoil product referenced is the biggest bargain in their lineup. Extremely robust group IV synthetic with an HTHS of 4.2. Definitely capable of protecting a BRM.

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
Well todays 5w40s are made for ESP. Which dont apply to my BRM. The ESP brings a much lower TBN to the table and shears down much quicker. The 15w40 Marine is 12.1 TBN and appears to be a much better canidate for an extended drain program. I couldnt care less about the AMSOIL part. Im looking a full synthetic 15w40. Looking for info and opinions on full syn 15w40.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Well todays 5w40s are made for ESP. Which dont apply to my BRM. The ESP brings a much lower TBN to the table and shears down much quicker. The 15w40 Marine is 12.1 TBN and appears to be a much better canidate for an extended drain program. I couldnt care less about the AMSOIL part. Im looking a full synthetic 15w40. Looking for info and opinions on full syn 15w40.
Then why don't you try it and then tell us. There is oil available that works just fine in your engine and it is not ESP. trying to reinvent the wheel is an effort in futility.

Last edited:

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
Then why dont we have stone wheels? Oh yeah cuz someone reinvented them. To wood. Then to steal.Then rubber. And now synthetic rubber. Did you eat lead paint as a child? Re-engineering happens everyday. If it doesnt were introuble. Its people like you that generally slow the process to learn, grow and improve. Lead, follow or get outa the way. Sounds like you need to just stay outa the way.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Then why dont we have stone wheels? Oh yeah cuz someone reinvented them. To wood. Then to steal.Then rubber. And now synthetic rubber. Did you eat lead paint as a child? Re-engineering happens everyday. If it doesnt were introuble. Its people like you that generally slow the process to learn, grow and improve. Lead, follow or get outa the way. Sounds like you need to just stay outa the way.
Like i said "then why don't you try it and then tell us" complete with all your research data then you can submit your results.Then you and Amsoil can re-engineer something that creates no problem in our cars. Don't like the input then don't ask. From now on I'll stay out of your way Mr Re-engineering to save us all. Your not changing from stone to wood to rubber your just changing your oil. Oh and i really like the "or follow" part of your analogy.......think lemmings.

Last edited:

hughesjasonk

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta MK4;
there's isn't really anything special with marine oil other than it has additives to prevent water emulsification. 15w40 seems a little heavy though. I would bump it down to 5w40 personally.

robnitro

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI GLS silver
I never understood why amsoil would claim their 15w40 oil is as good in the cold as 5w40. To me, that sounds like a contradiction because 15w is done by ccs testing.

A lot of wear happens on cold start. TBN 12 is good but we dont usually have tbn issues on normal drain intervals.

Love your quote on the idiots. Not lead/follow though, haha.

Lead, follow, or get out of the way is very black or white thinking. Sometimes, there is no need for hierarchy.

George Carlin : Here's another guy thing that sucks. These t-shirts that say: "Lead, follow, or get out of the way". You ever see that? This is more of that stupid Marine Corps bull****. Obsolete, male impulses from a hundred thousand years ago, "Lead, follow, or get out of the way". You know what I do when I see that shirt? I obstruct. I stand right in the guy's path, force him to walk around me, he gets a little past me, I spin him around kick him in the nuts, rip off his shirt, wipe it on my ass, and shove it down his ****ing throat. Hey, listen that's all these Marines are looking for, a good time.

FXDL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI with DSG
I would use the 15W40 Amsoil in your 2006 before anything else out there. I would also use their 5w30HDD diesel oil as is one of the best oils too that there is.

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
I know that Duramaxes run 15w40 all year round with alot of other equipment with diesel engines? Why cant the TDI have 15w40 year round but all other diesels can?
Someone must run this Amsoil AME15w40 in a TDI?

bluesmoker

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 pd 5 speed tip
I know that Duramaxes run 15w40 all year round with alot of other equipment with diesel engines? Why cant the TDI have 15w40 year round but all other diesels can?
I have used it in my 2004 PD, it made the engine much more quiet at idle, other than this it ran and started just like any other 5/40. The oil also completely stopped any consumption, I needed zero make up oil during the year interval.

it has a pour point of -40F, so unless you live in Alaska cold starting is not an issue

http://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/g473.pdf

robnitro

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI GLS silver
marine 15w40 -20C 4820

5w40 amsoil -30 6000

Cold cranking viscosities. Keep in mind that if you estimated 5w40 at -20C it would be around 2000-3000.

So why would you spend MORE for a gimmick specialty oil thats much thicker when cold and has slightly better hths?

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
Thanks Bob. Hey while i got ya here.... Mobil uses boron in its oil. Schaffers uses boron and moly. Amsoil doesnt use either.... Is that good, bad or just different?

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
Thanks Bob. Hey while i got ya here.... Mobil uses boron in its oil. Schaffers uses boron and moly. Amsoil doesnt use either.... Is that good, bad or just different?
You're doing to have to specify which oils. I can find oils from all 3 that use boron and moly.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
15W40 Marine oil for instance.
The 15w40 AME marine and 10w40 AMO "premium protection" (among others) are designed with traditional additives for those applications that require or benefit from SL/CI-4+ additive levels.

Amsoil has several HDEOs with modern additive packages (CJ-4) having less ZDDP, but with moly and/or boron. The same holds true for their automotive 5w40s.

Mobil 1's oils have both moly and/or boron to complement ZDDP, as does Royal Purple (synerlec) and Schaeffers (with micron moly and penetro).

Also, in your location you could easily find Valvoline MST 5w40 and use that year-round.

sledhead999

TDI
2004 Jetta GL TDI Auto
I used to use 15w40 in my Powerstroke year round. It always started a little rough. I switched to Shell Rotella T6 in 5w-40 full synthetic, it starts so much better now! I have no interest in going back to 15w40!! Unless you live in the sunbelt and never see temps below 40*, I wouldn't run it.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
I used to use 15w40 in my Powerstroke year round. It always started a little rough. I switched to Shell Rotella T6 in 5w-40 full synthetic, it starts so much better now! I have no interest in going back to 15w40!! Unless you live in the sunbelt and never see temps below 40*, I wouldn't run it.
Oil fired injectors (HEUI)?