Am I the only one that is satisfied with the proposal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

banshee365

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta
So, we LOVE out '13 Passat SEL Premium. With the toddler growing daily and possible larger family future plans we could use something larger. But, I still think the Passat is the best mid-size sedan on the road. I would also rather have a TDI Passat than any full size on the road. The fuel economy is fantastic, it's huge for a sedan, the handling is great, the torque is great and it's fantastic and classy looking to me.

This whole scandal has never skewed my opinion of the product or how great it really is. Yes, they cheated to lessen the impact of the recent crazy EPA standards on the performance aspects that we look for in their cars. I first assumed that VW would 'fix' the cars and we would be stuck with that. I wasn't really too pissed off with that thought as, at least in the Passat's case, I thought they would just increase Adblue dosage to cut down on the nitrous oxides. Maybe it's more complicated on that on the SCR cars, but there wasn't much info out then. Then the loyalty program came around the holiday's last year. I thought that was a good gesture until they get the rest figured out. Values were starting to drop with all of the mess going on and I think it was a nice thing for VW to give the owners something to keep some faith while they work this progress out. Most American's don't have the patience to just wait and see for a few minutes, must less a year or two. Then came the news of VW offering $5k or more to their owners as restitution for value lost and to try to keep them as customers in the future. I was surprised to hear that this would come along with a repair to the car. I was very concerned of the affect of the 'modification' to fuel economy and power but I didn't want to jump to conclusions before VW even knew what they needed to do.

Now, there were alway's rumors of buy-backs and now those rumors are about to become officially true. This has obviously caused a huge wind storm of activity on this and other boards. We sit in the +/- 0 bracket for mileage adjustment so we're at just under $27,000 for our buy back and just over $7,000 for taking the modification, whatever that may be. I understand some others are in different positions and may not be as happy. I've worked some calculations for some friends with CR TDI's and they have all been pretty good in my opinion. To me, the buy back seems most logical for our car in my mind. We could take the modification and the cash and still have an awesome car, but the future value after this has all blown over is a risk as of right now. This makes sense as it's in VW's best interest for most to take the buy-back option.

Nearly every thread subject I see in this section is negative. Some are just simply unhappy, while others are literally crawling out of their skin trying to come up with any way to stick it to VW and get all they can get. It's rather amazing. Personally, I'm pretty happy and feel somewhat privileged to have an equity opportunity that we would NEVER have had this scandal never happened. Especially if you factor in the amount of time that you have to decide. Between roughly October this year and September of 2018 you have choice over locked in values. So, we can wait until mid-late 2018 and get nearly $27k for a 6 year old, 70k+ mile car. I simply can't find anything to be so pissed off about. I guess most American's want more more more more more more more when there is a whiff of money coming their way that they weren't quite expecting. There may be some that could be losing with this deal, especially those that drive a ton, but I have a feeling that it's very fair for most.

To be able to save a couple of months after payoff and walk into a dealer of my choice with a $30k down payment in a couple of years doesn't even seem reasonable to me. But, that is what's on the table. If there were 1-2 year old low mile Touareg TDIs or crazy retention incentives on new ones we would probably stay in the VW family. That's most likely not going to be the case so we may move to a large Toyota SUV while we leave VW with a very pleasant taste in our mouth from them. It's going to be really hard to give the car back to VW, if that's what we still plan to do when the time comes, but it sure seems like a good deal to me.

And to the negative-nancy's, don't bother strapping on your flame throwers to blast your hate my way to try to make me unhappy somehow as I don't think it's gonna happen.

dropnosky

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta 6 speed, 2012 Passat DSG
Its a hell of a lot more money than I would have expected, even forced to be offered by the courts.

jhawklver

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
Its a hell of a lot more money than I would have expected, even forced to be offered by the courts.
If I have to sell it in 2016 I'm not satisfied buy not overly upset. The longer I can drive my normal amount (right at the level) without losing value, the more satisfied I get.

I won't be taking a fix.

Jimmy Coconuts

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW, 2010 Jetta, 2011 Q7 Prestige, 2012 A3 Premium, 2013 A3 Premium Plus, 2014 Beetle, 2015 Jetta
I would say the settlement by itself is adequate for the most part.

BuyMeBackSoon

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 golf
No complaints from me, 3.5 years of an almost free car.

Struggling to figure a replacement as my driving miles are a lot less now and don't need the super efficient car.

tjdeerslayer37

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 jetta tdi plat gray
No complaints here, it's a great sale for me with minimal hassle and I'm happy to hopefully be moving into something ill I'll enjoy even more.

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
Some folks are acting like if they don't get back every $$ they have ever spent on their car they are harmed...fact is they got go USE the car, and that has a price.
Me....I'm happy. No windfall, but enough I think I feel "whole", and that is what a lawsuit is supposed to do.
Amazing how many folks with high miles are complaining....guess they forgot they reduce the value of an item by using it....glad I am not the only one nappy.
Now to decide....stay or get something else. Kinda fun!

g111444

TDI
none yet
fact is they got go USE the car, and that has a price.
I totally concur...this is the point a lot of people overlook.

A new car loses about a third of its value over the first 3 years, right? Considering they're giving me back a little more than the $27K I paid for my JSW 3 years ago, I just got a free $9000/36mo = $250 per month for the past 3 years. I was expecting a buyback figure much less than what is being offered.

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
...as calc's indicate my buyback at almost exactly (?) the midpoint between 24 and 25 grand .......................

1. I never expected this

2. Amount is actually very close to my initial (NIB) cost.

I am 'comfortable' - as HR folks are fond of saying - $$$-wise.

But I sure as hell will miss the torque-rich flavor topped with knockout fuel numbers with XXXXXX for dessert.......................

Ergo, this sailor has few - if any - complaints.

ez sends

VA JSW

TDI
2012 JSW TDI DSG
All good points and I feel exactly the same way the OP does. It seems like most of the negative noise is coming from people with older and/or higher mileage cars. Like most other aspects of society today, these people are envious of others "getting more" than them, but they fail to understand that they've already "gotten more" use out of their car than others. Seems like the deals for the more recent years are pretty sweet on the whole.

grawk

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 JSW TDI (used)
I imagine they'll get over 90% acceptance for buyback or fix if it becomes available. I think the complainers are attracted to web forums, so that's amplified here

swampyankee

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat SEL
I'm very happy with the amount as well.

One of the things that makes me chuckle is those who compare what they are getting to what owners of other models are getting. Makes me think of my kids arguing over who gets the bigger scoop of ice cream.

If I need a laugh I go over to the how to do your buyback thread

Owning the vdub has been an experience, for sure. I've "depreciated" only $3K over three years. Put over 60K miles on the car. How can I complain?

bring

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Jetta SEL, DSG
No complaints here - buyback is more than I bought it for. Just a bit melancholy about giving up the car. I don't know what I want as a replacement.

fredthe

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagon SEL DSG
We like both of our TDIs, and hate car shopping. Will likely be opting for the fix, and the big chunk of cash will cover a lot if it's not perfect.

turboBear

TDI
2013 Golf TDI (sold back to VW 2016/12/28)
We like both of our TDIs, and hate car shopping. Will likely be opting for the fix, and the big chunk of cash will cover a lot if it's not perfect.
One thing I've noticed in my e-tire-kicking, very few gas vehicles make torque at low RPM, but the VW 1.8 TSI do.

I plan on doing some test drives, but the current Golf 1.8 TSI probably drives very similarly to my TDI (minus 17" wheels and tighter suspension) with something between 15% and 28% reduced MPG.

If it could be had, a Golf 1.8T SE (for heated seats) with MT, 17" wheels, and upgraded springs would probably give me the "cockpit experience" I am accustomed to. Sadly, to get heated seats + MT requires a GTI at this point (unless I'm missing something). Maybe MY 2017 will be different, I dunno.

So long as I end up with the driving experience I want and <= same financing duration to current vehicle (which completes spring '18) then I'm okay.

I know I'm shopping a new car instead of used, and I don't expect to get into one for *nothing* out of pocket. Not reasonable IMO.

We shall just see what October brings.

FVWVWF

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold - 2012 TDI Highline Manual
I think people lost expectations and convenience rather than money with this scandal.

We dont know what VW Canada has in store for us yet but if its the same thing as in the US, after conversions and all that jazz...I would be happy with this deal. At first I thought the $1,000 was it.....then there was a voice from the sky that said: "But wait, there is more....." and to get an amount of money (maybe more) that I would have received if I sold it privately is good news.

Last edited:

aliasbane

TDI
Passat 2013
I do agree the settlement is good, but a few things about it irk me, sales tax, any sort of new state and federal taxes, plus the extended warrenty I paid for. Which adds to a nice figure around 5 or 6 grand which really hurts as a 25 year old and first car purchase. I was planning on having the car for 10 years keeping it maintained and what not...

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Put me in the 50% bracket. I'm mostly happy with the buyback amount on the 11 Golf, but think that the drop in value for the 10 JSW is too much. According to my tax records, the two cars are valued within a few $100. Using the court tables and ignoring the mileage adjustments, the two cars are valued at about $3500 difference. Total difference is just over $5000 because I'm low on miles on Golf and over on the JSW, which I am not arguing.

Philpug

Veteran Member
TDI
Gone but not forgotten
The satisfaction is like a bell curve, the middle years 2011-14 are happy, the extremities '09-10 and '15 are not.

ccbsecu

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Executive TDi
I am happy with the calculated amount (as best I understand), but I will also be sad to see the TDi go.

Owning a car since 12/31/2011, putting 90k on the car without a SINGLE problem, and receiving back almost 80% of the initial purchase price is simply too good to pass up.

I also own a 3.0 TDi and I am anxious to see what options for fix or possible buy back come to pass.

I did spy a 2015 GTI with 6MT at the local dealer that caught my eye however.....

solBLACK

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE
The satisfaction is like a bell curve, the middle years 2011-14 are happy, the extremities '09-10 and '15 are not.
This^. I'm happy it's working out for some, but I have a 2015 Golf and the buyback to me isn't acceptable.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I do agree the settlement is good, but a few things about it irk me, sales tax, any sort of new state and federal taxes, plus the extended warrenty I paid for. Which adds to a nice figure around 5 or 6 grand which really hurts as a 25 year old and first car purchase. I was planning on having the car for 10 years keeping it maintained and what not...
I think you mentioned the extended warranty in a different thread but since I'm here now... IIRC, when they tried to talk us into one on the Golf, I would have been able to cancel it at any time and get a full refund. At least as long as I had not used it. You might want to dig out the paper work and/or call VW warranty company and see what your options are.

Last edited:

LogicBomb

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat
I'm not sure if happy is the word for me.

They definitely offered more than I initially expected them to, and I end up on the plus side. The only thing that irks me is the appraisal value, the "trade in value" baseline. Now, to be clear, I never expected them to use full retail as a starting point, but I was hoping for a figure closer to the private party value. I feel that that price point is a more accurate and real figure of what my cars value is/was.

In the end, I'm not up in arms about the situation, just kind of whatever as I'm certainly not getting screwed, but I'm also not getting a real evaluation of my vehicle.

RollingCoal

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Tdi SEL
Very true. The offer for my '15 sucks considering the limited use I got out of it. The trend I'm seeing is that people who got a few good years of use out of their car and are getting most of they're money back are satisfied. I got limited use of the car and if I take the buyback the best I can do is get another similarly priced new and end up with a bigger loan. If I had about 2-3 grand more coming it would allow me to get into a similar vehicle without a significant loss and move on.

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
Very true. The offer for my '15 sucks considering the limited use I got out of it. The trend I'm seeing is that people who got a few good years of use out of their car and are getting most of they're money back are satisfied. I got limited use of the car and if I take the buyback the best I can do is get another similarly priced new and end up with a bigger loan. If I had about 2-3 grand more coming it would allow me to get into a similar vehicle without a significant loss and move on.
Then price out a used 2year old lease return....
The purpose of the buyback is to make you "whole"....
Whole is buying your (will be when you turn it in) 2 model year old car, and giving you $$ to buy a similar car...with the extra $$, you MIGHT do slightly better....

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
I would keep an open mind....
If you have a LONG warrenty prepaid you might find keeping the car is a better option if you cannot get a REFUND ...or the % of the REFUND is too low....an extended warrenty is a risk...you bought it this k it was lowering g your risk, but loss of the car, even through no fault of your own (aka a buyback) is a risk....live and learn....also when the loan is paid off you would have $$ to fix it....
The loan forgiveness option MIGHT be an option...up to 130% of the buyback option....but then you just walk away ....no car. Keep it...you get a car, a warrenty, and cash to pay for a SLIGHTLY lower mpg car....think about it.
Also your "sunk" costs, like taxes are not lost, or replicated on a second new car....

RollingCoal

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Tdi SEL
Then price out a used 2year old lease return....
The purpose of the buyback is to make you "whole"....
Whole is buying your (will be when you turn it in) 2 model year old car, and giving you $$ to buy a similar car...with the extra $$, you MIGHT do slightly better....
No I would do slightly better with an extra 2 grand. I wouldn't have to eat the entire tax bill on the new car in addition to what I paid in taxes on this one. I don't want my car gimped and I'm not willing to take a chance on what just doing might mean for me down the road should I choose to sell it later or have it totaled and get totally screwed.

DB TDI

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen 6MT
One thing I've noticed in my e-tire-kicking, very few gas vehicles make torque at low RPM, but the VW 1.8 TSI do.
I plan on doing some test drives, but the current Golf 1.8 TSI probably drives very similarly to my TDI (minus 17" wheels and tighter suspension) with something between 15% and 28% reduced MPG.
If it could be had, a Golf 1.8T SE (for heated seats) with MT, 17" wheels, and upgraded springs would probably give me the "cockpit experience" I am accustomed to. Sadly, to get heated seats + MT requires a GTI at this point (unless I'm missing something). Maybe MY 2017 will be different, I dunno.
So long as I end up with the driving experience I want and <= same financing duration to current vehicle (which completes spring '18) then I'm okay.
I know I'm shopping a new car instead of used, and I don't expect to get into one for *nothing* out of pocket. Not reasonable IMO.
We shall just see what October brings.
Check out the Golf Wolfsburg Edition in the 2017 order guide (posted several times over at Vortex). This should give you most of what you want (18" Durbans as an option).
I tested a Golf S 5-spd last weekend and was agreeably surprised - torque quite comparable to my JSW, and overall feel and handling much better. The 5-spd is fine; with my driving pattern I don't care about the 6th gear, and I've never liked the shift points in my GSW 6-spd.
One more vote - from a 2010 JSW owner - for the overall fairness of the proposed settlement. The settlement as it now stands will net me approximately $5,000 more than the KBB private party values pre-scandal. Depreciation = $1,000/year over 8 years - what's not to like?

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
I fall into the satisfied camp, but it seems our car falls into the "bell curve" described by an earlier poster. A '13 Passat we bought new cash for a good price, still have only around 45K on it (it was 3 years ago yesterday), and VW wants to let us keep it another two years and still hand us a check that will bring us within $1,000 of what we paid (yes, I'm factoring in the $1K gift they've already paid us).
So we've gotten a brand new car that we will have driven for five years for a few cents per mile (apart from fuel and maintenance)— how can I find any reason not to be satisfied with that? We'll take the buyback and go new car shopping again...but this is the best deal we'll ever see.

NB: One of the major problems with satisfaction is Mark Twain's "Comparison is the death of joy." And the Dieselgate settlements is a situation that virtually invites comparison of the settlement amounts received, regardless of the car, what was paid, miles driven, or any of the rest of it. This part is human nature, and it can't be legislated or made logical.

Status
Not open for further replies.