Am I in trouble ? Coolant issue

killakross

TDI
04 Jetta tdi
I topped my coolant with some coolant from my work … it’s a red delo coolant for semis …. I only put maybe 12 oz in. Do I need to get it flushed and refilled ?
if yes. MyNapa has pentofrost e

is that ok

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Don't know the answer to your original question, but SF, red cap.

You can mix E and SF in a pinch if needed.

killakross

TDI
04 Jetta tdi
So if u supply ur own coolant my local jiffy lube charges 49 for flush. I picked up pentofrost sf. And I got 2. 1.5 liter bottles full strength. I’m here now and they saying one bottle mixed with one bottle water filled it up?? I’m trying to tell them it takes 6.3 liters but they said 3 filled it

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
You are cortect, ALH capacity is 6.3 liters. That's if it's bone dry. You won't get all the coolant out, typically if I drain via the radiator petcock, I only get about a gallon, which is about 3.7 liters. To really get the rest you have to uninstall the thermostat and blow the heater core out.

U4ick

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
So if u supply ur own coolant my local jiffy lube charges 49 for flush. I picked up pentofrost sf. And I got 2. 1.5 liter bottles full strength. I’m here now and they saying one bottle mixed with one bottle water filled it up?? I’m trying to tell them it takes 6.3 liters but they said 3 filled it
Soooo.......49 bucks to open the drain on the bottom of the radiator.
There was a barbecue house that used to have a lunch rib special every Tuesday.
There was a Jiffy Lube that backed up to it facing the adjacent street.
While eating ribs we used to watch the JL employees gather behind their dumpster and smoke the same cigarette.
Cured me from ever going to Jiffy Lube.

Diesel Fumes

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 alh tdi 5 speed
I hope it doesn't matter because I've been topping my tdis up with delvac coolant(red stuff for heavy equipment) for years. I also change it out far more frequently than I need to though. If I have to change a hose or drain the coolant for whatever reason, I always flush it and add new. It's not hard and if you want to be safe you can always do that. Doesn't cost ya much!

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
K- You're good to go, except you want take a good look see for any damage Jiffy did. The important part about substitute coolant is the base chemicals are the same. Might have to dig up the White Paper, but I'm guessing you're fine.