Aluminum Oil Filter Housing

danmin

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat 2.0 TDI @ 180k
2000+ Miles and 20 Idling Hours on mine and no leaks. Watching the oil temps and I haven’t seen over 245F with the 2000 miles being very hard miles….

Zambee500

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI GLS, 2014 NMS Passat TDI SEL Premium
Ordered from FCP Euro, VAICO, $120 in stock now
Thanks! I just reordered now. FWIW, this is exactly what happened when I ordered several weeks ago and they canceled my order a couple weeks later. They took it off backorder status, allowing customers to order, but had a delayed shipping of 7 business days pending delivery from supplier. And FCP never received it, so they canceled the order.

But here's hoping for a better outcome this time!

eugene89us

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Volkswagen Passat TDI SEL Premium
@VW_Diesel_All_Day You're the man, I ordered as well. Will see how this one compares to OEM. As we mentioned above, at least being a known brand, there will be some assurance that will be behind the name. The random Amazon brand that is Farleyo today and JWANTIX tomorrow and out of business the next day - that seller you will never catch if warranty issues arise. Hopefully Vaico is built more similarly to the OEM and bolts fit properly.

VW_Rookie75

TDI
2014 Passat SEL Premium CKRA
It's the dilemma we are all in owning orphan CKRA's. Does anyone own one that hasn't had an oil cooler start leaking? I'm just past 75k miles. Time to start stocking up on parts.
Had mine replaced in July '23 at appx 112K mile. Most expensive repair I have ever paid for but decided on letting the stealership do the work rather than trying to do it myself on a floor. If I had a lift and some means, aka time, to truly do the work myself I would have. What really ticked me off was this stealership had been doing my oil changes and when their costs went up again I began dong them myself. Come to find out that the oil filter cap post was broken and they never said a word. Found one through a VW dealership in Ohio for pretty cheap and replaced it. Then lost is with this repair🤦‍♂️

freewayross

TDI
2010 Sportwagen TDI, 2012 Passat SE TDI
Just got a message from FCP, the Aluminum oil cooler is in backorder indefinitely! Another user reported few weeks back the same thing before it showed as available again. Is FCP trolling us ?:D

VW_Diesel_All_Day

TDI
2013 Passat TDI, 2014 Sportwagen
I have a tracking number (alert from UPS) that just says "fulfillment center." I'm very confused, but it might be from FCPEURO.

eugene89us

Veteran Member
TDI
I have nothing on UPS yet, it would usually say FCP Groton for their shipments. The order status still says Processing. I had a chat with them and they confirmed the item is on backorder and more than likely refunds will be issued. I am in no rush, just in case they do get lucky and receive it, else yes, I feel they are definitely trolling! Hahaha

eugene89us

Veteran Member
TDI
Huh, weird, sounds like they only got a small supply of these. Most of us won't be as lucky.

eugene89us

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah, man, I saw your message. You're supposed to be off today to work on it, I hope you get some good news and engine is salvageable. If you decide it is not worth fixing, I will buy your oil cooler if FCP does not send us ours.

eugene89us

Veteran Member
TDI
@VW_Diesel_All_Day Very curiously, got a notice that USPS is scheduled for delivery tomorrow from FCP. I am optimistic this may be Vaico oil cooler. Just departed Memphis and on its way South. Will update tomorrow if that is what comes in. Checked with FCP, who confirmed a limited number of aluminum coolers were delivered to them. Online order still states "Processing." Fingers crossed.

Zambee500

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI GLS, 2014 NMS Passat TDI SEL Premium
Just arrived home to find mine Vaico aluminum housing arrived today as well. I believe it was sent by USPS as the mail lady was about 12 or 14 houses past mine when I got home and UPS and FedEx usually don't get here for another couple of hours on evening runs. Also, the invoice says economy shipping and specifies "no tracking", and tracking is always included with FedEx and UPS.

Just in time for 40k mile service, so will see if I can get this installed in the coming days. Fingers crossed.

eugene89us

Veteran Member
TDI
@Zambee500 That is awesome, please keep us posted how this goes, hope the quality of Vaico is better than Amazon's Furleyo. I will keep mine on backburner until current one croaks or until I am in the area working on thermostat.

eugene89us

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, folks, I am also one of the lucky ones, received Vaico Aluminum oil cooler housing. Let me tell you, first impression is very positive. The part that always fails on plastic pieces that had a gasket on - the Furleyo had a matte, orange-peel like surface. One of my worries with Furleyo was whether the gasket will seal properly given that part where the gasket sits is not smooth. The Vaico version is machined to a mirror finish. The channels where the gasket sits are also mirror finished, so the seal will be SIGNIFICANTLY better. The actual structure on the inside is a precise copy of the OEM plastic version, it has the same little holes and dividers. I have a little sinus infection and 11 hours of working were not kind to me, so I may or may not have a chance to do another side by side comparison. But so far, I am optimistic that Vaico aluminum is the one that I will be installing on 2014 Passat in the future.

eugene89us

Veteran Member
TDI
Despite my exhaustion, I had to report on Vaico vs. OEM for sake of science...

Well folks, Vaico Aluminum cooler is perfect in every way, except for one. How important that is, I do not know, maybe I could use some of your expertise to make the final call regarding keeping or giving up on aluminum coolers completely.

Let's start with positives. The quality of machining is excellent. Coolant passageways are smooth unlike on Farleyo. As mentioned above, the gasket surfaces are also smooth (except as you will see on oil cooler side, it is matte just like Furleyo). However, the engine side is perfectly machined. Even the interior portions are closely mimicking the plastic OEM version.

Here is smooth side that attaches to engine itself:

Here is the opposite side. Disappointed a bit that oil cooler side is not smoothed out to same mirror image, similar to Furleyo here:

Here are pics of both sides:

My phone makes these exit ports look oval, but in real life, they are perfectly round. I recall Furleyo photos that inside opening of the pipe has jagged edges. Vaico is buttery smooth. Coolant should flow nicely through it.

Now one thing that I found as bad. Let me start from the fact that I am assuming that oil flows from bottom opening to top opening on the assembly. I may be wrong in that assumption, but keep this in mind as I describe it. So oil flows through the orifice with a spring - this way, the oil can flow from engine to the housing but cannot backflow that easily. As the oil passes through the spring opening, it continues directly to the oil cooler itself, goes from bottom upward via oil cooler, and then the oil enters the the filter housing.

Let's start from there. The oil is then pushed through filter medium into the inside of the filter, there it flows down the plastic support structure and down into the assembly and exists back into the engine via the large opening that is located right above the opening with spring. I am hope I am right to this point. And to this point, there is not an issue. The openings are all present in Vaico filter assembly as they are in the OEM assembly.

The issue, and whether or not it is an issue, I ask you all here to please help me to understand. Look at the pictures below, inside the narrow tube below where filter sits. The OEM plastic housing has two tiny holes that are located below the normal outflow orifice. If you remember how the plastic oil filter cap looks - it has a long stick that contains 2 smaller o-rings that we replaced at oil change (along with large ring on cap itself). In OEM housing, the upper tiny hole is located between the two small o-rings and that hole connects directly to the same passage that contains that pressure spring where we first started - the entry point of oil into the housing. Below that tiny hole within the oil filter cavity is another hole at the very bottom, that geographically falls below the lowest small o-ring on the cap stick. See those two holes in photo below:

There is a giant hole for oil outflow you see inside narrow tube, and below that giant rectangular hole, you see two small round holes I am talking about. One is around 9 o'clock and the other at 2 o'clock. The upper hole at 9 o'clock that falls between two small gaskets on the cap portion that connects to the passage with the spring is *ABSENT* on the Vaico aluminum cooler. I think those two holes are some types of bypass. I think it somehow allows some pressure bypass if the oil cooler clogs on the oil side of passages. Am I correct or totally off? The bottom hole that connects to the bottom left opening which is also to the left of the spring is present on both OEM and Vaico.

So basically Vaico is missing one bypass hole that connects from channel that contains the spring which then connects to the part between two small o-rings that we replace with each oil change. How critical is that orifice and what are the consequences of it being absent? Fuleyo owners, can you please confirm that you have that hole on Fuleyo unit? Edit: I blew up one of the earlier photos of Furleyo posted here and I can confirm that Furleyo contains all the holes that OEM piece has.

Here is Vaico, notice the large hole and the tiny hole on the bottom where light shines. No small hole in the middle.

Last edited:

eugene89us

Veteran Member
TDI
Just to be sure my explanation makes sense, here is the view from oil cooler side. First photo is OEM, I am shining light into the oil filter housing, you can see the light shines into the passageway which contains spring on the other side:

And now, I shine the light into aluminum Vaico where you can clearly see the hole is absent. You only see solid aluminum shelf in that location. The passageway below is the one on top, you also see spring portion in the distance. The shelf that is supposed to have a hole is at 1 o'clock, if you blow up the photo, you will actually see factory nick marks where hole is supposed to be:

Last edited:

eugene89us

Veteran Member
TDI
Thoughts, suggestions, condolences? It is almost perfect in every way, except for this one. I am curious how this two gasket system works, is it only in emergency, does it somehow break the stem of the stem of the oil filter cap and allows the oil to bypass the oil cooler. If that upper orifice is indeed meant to relieve excess pressure in case of oil cooler clogging on oil side, it will allow some oil to reach that section between two gaskets. I presume it would have to get so high to deform or break the plastic legs that attach to oil cap, allowing oil to then flow up into the filter housing and presumably also down into the small bottom hole. Am I correct in this assumption. Without the hole there and in case of oil cooler clog, there will be no safety bypass system, I presume the gasket will blow and cause oil hemorrhage from the system unless oil pump itself has some sort of bypass system. I don't know, I am clueless here.

eugene89us

Veteran Member
TDI
I figured out a way to possibly fix the issue. There is not a right angle drill that I know of that is narrow enough to fit into the narrow channel. However, the part that has to have a hole circles and bulges into that channel that contains spring loaded piece. My brother-in-law has a table top drill and I think I can somehow clamp this piece so it stays put. Then either using a drill bit or maybe a round burr bit, I can try to drill down while staying a hair away from the wall. The portion that needs a hole starts to bulge into the cavity before you reach the shelf. I don't know if amount of bulge is enough to burr all the way through and into the filter cavity, however worth a try. May need to be finished by a handheld drill. Anyways, it is not a critical hole in regular life and that hole does not need to be perfect since it is sealed between two rubber o-rings and will only be helpful if case of cooler clog. However, I still feel we need to have it, I worry if our oil pump does not have pressure relief valve anywhere and it is directly connected to crankshaft, you could affect the engine if it has nowhere to go and no other seal blows. I'd rather plastic oil cap sacrifice itself and keep car working that risk engine damage. For life of me, I cannot find any blueprints on CKRA that would show how the oil flows through the system...

drew_t

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
Thoughts, suggestions, condolences?
For me, this component is too important to use a non-factory part. You have no way of knowing whether any level of competent engineering went into this thing, and, in the event it damages your engine, you’re not going to have any recourse against an unknown manufacturer whose wares are being distributed by unknown persons or companies hiding behind fake names consisting of random alphabet soup sequences of English letters.

eugene89us

Veteran Member
TDI
I agree with you 100%, hence the reason why I felt compelled to return Farleyo. It is not a brand name with name recognition. Because once failures start, Farleyo will become Uawawa and original name will go to trash. Vaico, however, is a known aftermarket company that makes lots of German aftermarket parts. They don't have same flexibility to just rename, so I put more trust in them. And their product is more of a near perfect copy, it matches all the ridges and valleys compared to OEM except for that one opening. And I agree regarding OEM everything, I would not use anything else. Except OEM oil cooler is a weak link in these cars and almost always fails prematurely and in a grand fashion. I use all OEM for 3 of our German cars, this one I am willing to risk with aftermarket given how horrible the original is and the fact that VW is not going to do a revision on orphaned engine to fix the breaking plastic channel. So yeah, I am torn here, but once current one leaks, I will try Vaico to see if that fixed it. By then hopefully car will be near 200k and if Vaico fails at 300k in a major way, well, it's been a good run. 😂

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The center stand portion of the filter cap (the part that has in this case, two small o-rings) is the drain plug for the filter housing. In other words, when you loosen (but not remove) the filter cap during service, like you are supposed to, it drains the oil in the filter housing down into the engine where it can be drained. I think any 'extra' hole there is maybe to help drain the oil cooler portion, but I'm not really certain. I don't think I'd be too concerned about that. It pretty much has to be an improvement on the crap plastic setup anyway.

eugene89us

Veteran Member
TDI
@oilhammer It is always awesome to get your perspective on this. The CKRA certainly has been frustrating in some ways, while quite enjoyable as a driving experience on the other. I just borrowed it from my mom last weekend, took it to work on the Interstate and it was a very enjoyable experience. Besides the wind noise coming from B pillar, I would argue it is more luxurious and comfortable than my 3-series and DSG really punches a good kick.

Yeah, I was thinking mechanistically. If the oil pump pumps through the antidrainback valve that has that spring on photos, the missing hole that is present on OEM could not drain back, because that hole will still drain into the cavity that has that one way valve. The purpose of it is to keep oil cooler mostly filled up, same thing happens with oil filter as well as lower part of it has hard plastic without holes to basically make it like a toilet bowl snorkel to keep level up. The oil is meant to move through one way valve to the cooler, but cannot move back from the cooler. The very bottom hole exits directly toward the engine in the opening that is directly below that coolant channel that always busts on these. So I was thinking, if that oil flows through the spring loaded anti-drainback valve and over time the oil somehow clogs the cooler, it will have no outlet. Pump will push it through and directly to the cooler. Not that oil cooler would ever clog, but I guess they engineered it for that case. The chance of that clogging with regular oil changes is slim to none and probably reason why that hole was left out. But, I was also looking at the plastic cap and how it works. There is no give to the plastic rod that terminates with those o-rings. I tried to push the stick up into the cap to see if under pressure it will have a give, but it does not. The stick can spin freely (with small resistance) I reckon to help to screw it in easily when replacing oil cap, but it does not move up or down. But it is supported by mere 4 plastic legs that have a bend and look like spider legs where it attaches to cap. I think it is self-sacrificial. In cases of oil cooler clogging, the missing hole will act as a bypass and will create massive pressure between these two gaskets. Gaskets cannot move down because they rest on a "shelf" where they make a seal, but the pressure will force upward (there is also a wider plastic shelf on that piece that will provide surface area for pressure to push it up. The sacrificial legs will break, causing the stem to push up. The pressured oil will be able for flow back into the engine through the bottom orifice as well as retrograde into the oil filter area and will exit through the normal hole back into the engine as well. The difference there is that some oil will probably drain through bottom small hole back to engine and sheer pressure will likely keep oil circulating as usual (presumably also at a lower rate given smaller bypass hole vs. normal channel) with the only difference being that now that oil is no longer being filtered while the engine runs.

The only question is what is better in an UNLIKELY case scenario like this - reduced oil circulation due to oil cooler clog, will that somehow show itself up like low oil pressure or something of the sort and would it cause more major failures such as turbo oil starvation. That versus not having bypass hole. The oil pump makes huge pressure, it will either stall/damage engine if backpressure holds or it will cause bursting of gasket or the oil cooler assembly itself, whichever is the weakest link. Oil will rapidly spill out. Will that cause fire it it falls on hot exhaust components under sheer pressure, will it cause engine to seize rapidly if you don't notice it immediately? That is where we need an engineer, so I will go back to my job and mind my own business. Haha.

eugene89us

Veteran Member
TDI
Here is a photo for reference to explain my yapping terms like "spider legs", oil cap plastic rod, and 2 seals where missing hole would sandwitch in between:

gomesan

TDI
01 jetta alh and 14 passat tdi
Had mine replaced in July '23 at appx 112K mile. Most expensive repair I have ever paid for but decided on letting the stealership do the work rather than trying to do it myself on a floor. If I had a lift and some means, aka time, to truly do the work myself I would have. What really ticked me off was this stealership had been doing my oil changes and when their costs went up again I began dong them myself. Come to find out that the oil filter cap post was broken and they never said a word. Found one through a VW dealership in Ohio for pretty cheap and replaced it. Then lost is with this repair🤦‍♂️
What was the rough cost to replace the oil filter housing/cooler at the stealership?