alternator

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
Dealers are no better (or worse) than independent mechanics for almost anything you might need done on your car. They will almost always charge more per hour and often more for parts and supplies. They also tend to look at repairs a little different than the independent.
A dealer may well recommend work that strictly may not be needed, but could be connected to the problem or maybe replace a part when a little repair would fix it ALMOST as good a new.
There is no need to bring your car to the dealer for any service other than service that is going to be paid for by a recall or original warrantee.
I suggest that most people would be better off finding a good independent (Not working for a chain) mechanic.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
What happened? Did the "alt." light illuminate? If so, maybe all it needs is the alternator brushes replaced. Someone else chime in here that has experience: can the brushes be bought separately and soldered into the regulator (That's how I replaced brushes on my A2 Jetta), or does the entire regulator have to be replaced? Also, does the alternator have to be removed to remove the voltage regulator?

I do know the alternator is quite a job to remove.

Sometimes, the clutched pulley failes, and can be bought separately and a special serrated bit is needed to hold the alternator shaft while the pulley nut is loosened. There again, I do not know if this can be replaced with the alternator installed.

But do not go to the dealer for stuff like this!

If you need the regulator, pulley, or an entire alternator, order it from IMPEX or the like.

--Nate

tdijerry

Veteran Member
TDI
2000/ beetle/sliver
alt

PDJetta said:
What happened? Did the "alt." light illuminate? If so, maybe all it needs is the alternator brushes replaced. Someone else chime in here that has experience: can the brushes be bought separately and soldered into the regulator (That's how I replaced brushes on my A2 Jetta), or does the entire regulator have to be replaced? Also, does the alternator have to be removed to remove the voltage regulator?

I do know the alternator is quite a job to remove.

Sometimes, the clutched pulley failes, and can be bought separately and a special serrated bit is needed to hold the alternator shaft while the pulley nut is loosened. There again, I do not know if this can be replaced with the alternator installed.

But do not go to the dealer for stuff like this!

If you need the regulator, pulley, or an entire alternator, order it from IMPEX or the like.

--Nate
last Wednesday i drove the car to work like i all ways do and when i tryed to start it to come home the battery would not turn the engine over fast enough to start it so i got a jump and took the car to the vw dealer and left it.the car had been starting fine until that day.they call me Thursday and said the battery was shot so they put a new one in on Friday.i pick the car up Friday afternoon and drove the car until July RD with no trouble at all.on the night of the 3RD wife and my self were going to Town on the car and the alt light came on so next day was 4Th so on thursday dealer call and said alt was shot so i had them put a new one on and the wife pick up car today.the car has 160,000 on it so i guess it was just time for the alternator to go. :( :eek:

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Having your TDI serviced at the dealer's is definitely the expensive way to live...

Try to find a reliable independent VW mechanic who knows these cars... there must be someone not too far away...

Otherwise, the only affordable way to own these cars is to do as much as possible yourself...

All the best,

Yuri.

tdijerry

Veteran Member
TDI
2000/ beetle/sliver
tdi beetle ant.

ymz said:
Having your TDI serviced at the dealer's is definitely the expensive way to live...

Try to find a reliable independent VW mechanic who knows these cars... there must be someone not too far away...

Otherwise, the only affordable way to own these cars is to do as much as possible yourself...

All the best,

Yuri.
i don't know of any one here that works on them than the dealer.i am not going to let just any one mess with them but if some one knows what they are doing i might consider it. :(

Wicked6

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS TDi
Hey Jerry...

If you are at ALL handy, do it yourself... We were in Las Vegas last week (someone look up the temps for me.. I am still suffering from heat exhaustion) and my alternator crapped out.. Welp.. I called Desert VW - $700 for the part, $200 core.. Hmm.. 3 hours labor..?? I was looking at a cool GRAND to get this done..?!? by the dealer..?!?! :eek:

Anyway, phonebook out, I called Autozone on Tropicana (and Eastern, for the LV TDi'ers) - $200.. in stock.. with the pulley installed from the factory.. I had a few tools by luck, but not enough... ..I got on TDi & started searching, came across an excellent DIY article & figured I could knock it out... I had a tool list, and had some photos to study - no problem!!!! Using the tire jack to lift the car and my cargo mat to lay on - I was set.. ~3 hours, and $320 later (bought the tools I needed plus a new serp belt also) - I was back on the road..

I consider my VR6 / G60 clutch upgrade *paid* for now.. :rolleyes: ;)

Oh - and the pool at the resort felt SO good when I got back.. ...the beer tasted better too.. psychological..??? maybe...

Best of luck!

Linc

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
tdijerry said:
i don't know of any one here that works on them than the dealer.i am not going to let just any one mess with them but if some one knows what they are doing i might consider it. :(
The alternator is not TDI specific. Most anyone can work on that, in fact an good general auto electrical shop would likely be best.

JoeBleed

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2005 A4, Reflex Silver
Damn that hurts. They could at least have checked the charging system with a loaner battery before sticking you with a new battery. That is assuming they coudn't get it to charge overnight on a low amp charge.

When i worked at sears that seemed to be a simular sales tatice our sales people used. They only offered the loaner batter to check the charging system if the customer asked. If not the sold them a new battery even if thier old one would charge. While it isn't good to run a typical car battery down low, it isan't that bad unless it is done several times.

I wish i could at least recomend another mechanic for next time, but i can't really, I do all the work i can on my own. I wouldn't have been able to help you though, as i don't have the tool needed to remove the pully from the alt. I should get one so when/if mine dies i have one already.

Well, i know a guy that has worked in a couple of shops in greenville, i went to highschool with him and his older brother. I don't know where exactly he works now and i can't honeslty say his work is bad or good. He personaly will not screw you over, but he doesn't own his own shop. About a month ago him and his brother were talking about getting a shop of their own, but i don't think anything has become of it.

I will find out where he works and post it so it is at least an alternative for next time.

Edit: Ok, found out where he is working now. Curently working at the saturn of greenville dealership. But, he was offered a job at brown and wood and may got there at some point. He could do some work on the side. problaby nothing major. I don't know off hand what hands on experience he has with the diesel motor in our cars but basic stuff like your alt. problem should be a piece of cake for him. I will PM you his name if you need anything like that done again you can talk to him if you would like. If you need a number let me know. Since he no longer works at the independent shop i don't feel right about posting his name publicy.

Last edited: