Alternator Pulley

TDI WNY

TDI
2015 GSW TDI SEL
Anyone know if the alternator pulley can be changed on a 2015 VW Sportwagen TDI, without pulling the alternator out? Is the part available?

CGK

TDI
2015 Golf S TDI
Part is available but it might be tricky to replace with the alternator installed. Much easier to remove the alternator.
You will need the special tool to do the repair which will definitely make the fix a whole lot easier!
Check it out

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
I've got stock coming in for those. Oem Ina from Germany.

TDI WNY

TDI
2015 GSW TDI SEL
I was able to find the part in stock at https://www.iat-usa.com/product/391060-clutch-pulley-with-free-wheel/. I hope to do this repair this weekend if I have all the parts/tools. I wonder if anyone has ever changed their alternator pulley on a 2015 GSW TDI? I have a theory that I can unbolt alternator and maneuver it so I can use an impact wrench to loosen it up if normal wrenches don't work. Any advice would be appreciated!

TDI WNY

TDI
2015 GSW TDI SEL
Put on the new alternator pulley today. Car has 85000 so I replaced the belt and tensioner also. With the tool from Metalnerd the job was easy. No need to remove or reposition the alternator. However I still have the noise, now onto the timing belt and water pump kit as soon as the parts arrive next week! My water pump failed under the powertrain warranty at 39000. But I might as well replace the pump while I have everything apart.

sardo_67

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL 6spd
Put on the new alternator pulley today. Car has 85000 so I replaced the belt and tensioner also. With the tool from Metalnerd the job was easy. No need to remove or reposition the alternator. However I still have the noise, now onto the timing belt and water pump kit as soon as the parts arrive next week! My water pump failed under the powertrain warranty at 39000. But I might as well replace the pump while I have everything apart.
What noise is the issue?
Mine idles like crap and the tensioner dances, I changed the tensioner and belt only to have the same noise so now I’m onto the alternator clutch

TDI WNY

TDI
2015 GSW TDI SEL
Not sure how to describe the noise, but it was a squeal. Timing belt kit and new water pump fixed the noise.Original water pump failure at 39K started the noise. Coolant leak may have caused the noise. Changing the waterpump fixed leak only at 39K. I wish I would have insisted that the dealer replace timing belt and tensioner while power train warranty was in effect. The squeal did not affect performance. It was only annoying at idle. I'll never lknow which part of the timing belt kit caused it.

Mozambiquer

TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
What noise is the issue?
Mine idles like crap and the tensioner dances, I changed the tensioner and belt only to have the same noise so now I’m onto the alternator clutch
That is very likely the clutch pulley that is failed. If yours is the 2015, make sure to get the correct one for that car, as often places sell the earlier larger diameter one for the 2015.

pebjr

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta; 2015 Golf S
I did replace the clutch pulley, noise subsided with timing belt kit and water pump replacement.
I was wondering what resources (manual, youtube video, etc.) you used when you did timing belt replacement? I have a 2015 that coming up on timing belt change.

TDI WNY

TDI
2015 GSW TDI SEL
2.0 TDI Timing belt & water pump replacement - MK7 VW Golf CRBC

You tube Video by DIY Daly

I never used The Camshaft Sprocket Counterhold Tool

I watched all the Youtube videos, the one above was best for me. Watched it multiple times. I also was sold an aftermarket water pump which did not work with my engine so I ended up getting the waterpump from my local VW dealer.

Last edited:

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Did you change that plastic flange that has a seal? I guess that's a common oil leak point and it's done with timing belt....

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
its behind the crank toothed timing gear. I believe you need to drop the lower oil pan and the upper oil pan, lot of sealing surfaces.

Our 2015 has a nice moist weapages by the rear passenger corner which im guessing is from the flange. I was roughly quoted 3K for flange replacement and TB job, about 2K for TB job it self. They also said breaking the seal of the bottom of the oil pan will warp the steel so a new oil pan would be needed :unsure:

Does anyone have a PN for that flange?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks, $50 part and $1000 labor to replace, lol.

TDI WNY

TDI
2015 GSW TDI SEL
I probably have the weapage of oil, but not enough to want to tear all that apart. I'm sure I don't exceed 1L of oil per 10K miles. 109K on mine.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
How many miles?
96K, the oil is showing up in a quarter size spot in the overnight in the garage.

It does seem to be ambient temp dependant, less than 65F on the wifes drive home and no spotting.

Right now its prob on track to use 1qt to reach 10K OCI.

TDI WNY

TDI
2015 GSW TDI SEL
Do you still have the belly pan cover? There is a sound absorption material on top of the belly pan which needs to be saturated first before any oil drops to the ground. Keep an eye on your oil dip stick.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
splash shield and oil pan diper are still installed, so yeah they are soaking up what they can and whats showing up on the garage floor isn't the exact location of the weap.

I should toss it up on ramps and clean that side of the oil pan up and then monitor for leaks.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Mines been damp with oil for well over year now in that passenger rear corner. Dealer tried telling me it's residual from when filter is changed-NOT. I also took the plastic cover off oil pan to make sure it wasn't migrating from that somehow.

TDI WNY

TDI
2015 GSW TDI SEL
tdidieselbobny, was your oil pan cover foam saturated with oil like mine is near the drain plug? Did you reattach the oil pan cover after taking it off? Do you plan to do anything about the dampness?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mines been damp with oil for well over year now in that passenger rear corner. Dealer tried telling me it's residual from when filter is changed-NOT. I also took the plastic cover off oil pan to make sure it wasn't migrating from that somehow.
Last time I had a weeping drain plug was 70K, it was a constant drip on the garage floor. I had cleaned the belly pan and pulled the oil pan diper the best i could, i'm sure it's just a soaked now.

GregV

TDI
2015 GSW
Can anyone point me to an available pulley for this 2015 GSW? The link above is no longer available and I can seem to find one anywhere.

Mozambiquer

TDI
Can anyone point me to an available pulley for this 2015 GSW? The link above is no longer available and I can seem to find one anywhere.
I've got a couple left, and some more ordered from europe.
$47 each plus shipping