Alternator pulley destoyed today

gte824j

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf TDI
This morning on my way to work my battery light was flashing just as I arrived at the parking deck. I parked, popped the hood and listened to the motor. I could hear squealing coming from the serpentine belt area.

With encouragement from another member in the other battery thread, I decided to drive home (60miles, interstate). The battery light was flashing initially, as I had left it this morning. But the light went off about 10miles in to my trip. I could still hear squealing though. Then the light came on solid RED about 10miles after that and the squealing stopped. Around that time, I did smell an odor similar to when you're behind a tractor trailer heavily braking. I didn't think much of it, but then I felt that I had lost power steering. Great, I thought. I drove the final 40miles with the sold red battery light illuminated on my dash.

When I arrived home, I was happy I made it. I popped the hood, got the multimeter out of the garage and tested the battery with the motor still running. 11.75 Volts it said. I was a little annoyed I drove the entire way without the radio when I could've easily made it with tunes. lol.

Then I looked over to the left side of the engine compartment and saw this:

The serpentine belt was shredded !

I looked deeper and saw the alternator pulley just hanging out down there:

I managed to fish it out:

So whats the verdict here? I'm assuming my battery is fine? Is my alternator okay, or is it too soon to say? Can I just order the pulley? If so, where?

Thanks for any help guys.

Looks like I'll be working from home tomorrow. Sorry Bossman.

nighthawk62

Veteran Member
TDI
BANNED
Do a search cause you need special tools to install the pully. You may as well order those at the same time.

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
paramedick said:
There is a thread on this in the how-tos that gives you all the info you need to R&R the pulley.
__. I am pretty sure that there's a very good thread with lots of info in the "A4" forum, too. Anyway, there's lots of useful tips, photos, peoples' experiences, etc. if you'll just search them.

nighthawk62

Veteran Member
TDI
BANNED
Has anyone done a pre-emptive strike on these things and taken it out early and tried to change the bearing?
I was just wondering if it was replaceable and if the clutch could be saved by doing so?

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
nighthawk62 said:
Has anyone done a pre-emptive strike on these things and taken it out early and tried to change the bearing?
I was just wondering if it was replaceable and if the clutch could be saved by doing so?
Not worth the effort. The pully is not cheap, but affordable. $70, IIRC.

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
paramedick said:
Not worth the effort. The pully is not cheap, but affordable. $70, IIRC.
__. Yeah, but it's a fairly sizable PITFA to swap it out. I'm going to pull the plastic cover on MzLauraLee's waggin this weekend to have a look at the pulley interior. I'm going to see if I can get some lube in there if it looks at all dry or rusty. But getting that cap back on is going to be a handful.

Tom Servo

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Gol TDI, blue and falling apart
I seem to be one of the luckier ones. My '05 Golf's pulley didn't fail completely like the OP's and many others, it just started slipping gradually at 154k miles.

Being a PD it was actually pretty easy to change. With two sets of hands we were able to do it without removing the alternator or serpentine belt, which was in fine condition.

ETA that my pulley was actually functioning at the time it was swapped and looked fine, if a little dry.

Last edited:

gte824j

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf TDI
Thanks for the discussion and suggestions guys. The car is 2002 Golf, 5-speed with 115k miles.

Regarding the part number for this pulley, paramedick's thread lists this part number: 022 903 119 C

When this is entered in to world impex (2) pulley's show up. One is listed as "German" manufacturer for $62 and the other is listed as "Genuine Part" manufacturer for $70. Any difference between these two pullies?

Also, What are the chances that my alternator is still functional? When the pulley destructively fails like this, does it usually take out the alternator shaft too? Here is another photo I took earlier, kind of showing the condition of the alternator shaft; focus is not great, but you get the idea.

I won't be doing this job. I don't have the skills, equipment, tools or time to get it done. I'm hoping Jason can squeeze me in sometime before Tuesday, otherwise I'll try to find an other local wrench to do the job. Thanks again.

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Just what IMPEX says. One is by an aftermarket manufacturer, the other is VW. Pick one.

I have changed out about a dozen of these. I have seen one alternator with a bent shaft. The others were fine. Get the alternator removed, the pulley hub removed, and assess what you have.

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
gte824j said:
(snip) Also, What are the chances that my alternator is still functional? When the pulley destructively fails like this, does it usually take out the alternator shaft too? Here is another photo I took earlier, kind of showing the condition of the alternator shaft; focus is not great, but you get the idea.
__. What you're seeing there (the rusted sleeve with the specks of "rust-cicle" on it) is the inside sleeve of the pulley. It screws onto the alternator shaft. Almost always, the shaft itself is just fine. That sleeve has to be removed before the new pulley can be attached to the alternator shaft (the tools are to remove the old sleeve -- or the old sleeve and pulley assembly if the outer pulley hasn't come all the way off -- and then put the new pulley assembly on).

__. I've only done one ('03 Jetta wagon "money pit" with ~150K miles) and the alternator was fine. Follow ParaMedick's info - he's had a lot of experience with these.

__. Regarding not doing it yourself, I tried it myself under some pretty bad conditions (on the hangar floor at work, not a good selection of tools, poor lighting, couldn't lift the car very high) and it was a total PITA. Part of it is that there is very little clearance and it's hard to see what you're doing. With a way to lift the car another 6" inches higher and proper tools and the experience of having done one, I could probably do one in 2 - 2 1/2 hours now but if anybody tells me that they've never done one before and they're a little intimidated by it, I'll tell them that they're making a good choice to have a pro do it. Of course, if someone is more experienced and has tools and work space, they'll probably have no problems (see the thread in the A4 Forum) and that's fine, too.

pete3221

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Bora TDi
I had this same thing happen to me, the pulley bearing seazed up and sheared off. I guess when that happens it makes the shaft into the alternator bad, and wont charge. So you may have to find another alternator.

gte824j

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf TDI
MrGW - Thanks for the response and explanation. I'm hoping my alternator is okay.

The parts at the stealership (pulley and serpentine belt) are in-stock and only slightly more expensive that the online vendors. After shipping, its basically a wash. I will pick them up later today.

Jason's been in touch with me and I think we'll be able to figure something out over the next few days.

This car is my work-horse and I depend on it greatly for work. I freaking love driving the thing too. I only do the basic maintenance on my own (oil, fuel, air filter changes), but I'm very conscientious when it comes to listening to it, preventative maintenance, etc. I'm more comfortable with experienced tech's doing the big stuff. However, I did successfully swap the coolant temperature sensor this past summer (with the help of the tdiclub d.i.y.); Awesome sense of accomplishment!

I'll report back once final diagnosis is in.

felixcasio

TDI
golf gls tdi 1999.5 green
i've had this happen and I replaced the pulley then 10k later the alt shaft totally destroyed the alternator. I should have just replaced the alternator way back when.

lapse

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI, 2003 Golf TDI
Hi I've been noticing the same symptoms of a failing alternator pulley. I called around today and was given this part number:

038 903 316 for $176

I have a 2003 Jetta TDI. Is this the correct part?

I see on Roseland Technical Services that the part number is:

022 903 119C for $60

What's what here?

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
lapse said:
Hi I've been noticing the same symptoms of a failing alternator pulley. I called around today and was given this part number:

038 903 316 for $176

I have a 2003 Jetta TDI. Is this the correct part?

I see on Roseland Technical Services that the part number is:

022 903 119C for $60

What's what here?
__. There is a discussion of the part numbers (the number for the "clutch type" pulley) in the alternator pulley thread in the A4 Forum. The pulley looks similar to the non-clutch type. I'll leave the discussion on replacing the clutch-type with a non-clutch type to be sure to avoid the problem for another thread.

lapse

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI, 2003 Golf TDI
mrGutWrench said:
__. There is a discussion of the part numbers (the number for the "clutch type" pulley) in the alternator pulley thread in the A4 Forum. The pulley looks similar to the non-clutch type. I'll leave the discussion on replacing the clutch-type with a non-clutch type to be sure to avoid the problem for another thread.
You wouldn't happen to have a link to this thread? There seems to be a number of alternator pulley threads in the search..... :confused:

gte824j

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf TDI
Success !

To follow up...

I bought the alternator pulley from the dearlership for $74. I used the part number from Parmedick's Alternator R&R thread. Part Number = 022 903 119 C. It appeared to be the same as the pulley that snapped; Bearing/Clutch type (I'm not exactly sure of its internal components). I also bought the serpentine belt, as mine was shredded and destroyed.

I went to Jason's (L&S Auto, where he works) yesterday afternoon. It was a typical monday down there...sweet mini-bike action, trailer hitch swapping, beastly blazer exhaust scoffing at minimum dB ordinances, and an electric wheel chair tire burn-out competition before we got started. :D

The installation was completed by Jason very quickly with the help of a lift and air tools. My alternator was fine and the car appears to be running as smoothly as ever. ::thumbs up::

bajjisw

TDI
1999.5 Jetta sedan, 5 speed
Related: The tensioner assembly (shock absorber looking thing on the left side of the engine) broke and was rubbing against the belt and pulley. Metal and rubber shavings inside the engine compartment. The local shop fixed it for USD 400.

Car is a 99.5 Jetta. 166k.