Alternate / New scan tools, eg: XTool, Autel

roninisc

TDI
a3
Anyone have exp using? I know they work w Audi/VW, just wondering how much more use, if any, they would be vs a VCDS. *post 2008 car*
I know they can diddle w the immobilizer and whatnot for lost keys, which is huge (no its not illegal, just vw trying to hose you). To my knowledge, the VCDS wont pull the module codes from the eeprom, only allow you to enter it.
Many vids on youtube if searching XTool or Autel + any additional descriptor.

Running an A3 mk6 8p.

ps, there is a similar thread from 2016 here, but dont want to necro it, and alot has changed since then.

juliywann

TDI
Real scan tools with bidirectional controls are going to be out of that range if you want something that can cover different makes/models. Launch or Autel are the most common budget units but they are going to start around 900. The blue driver like mentioned is pretty good for what it costs, it's just not going to do what an actual scanner can. You could look for a used one and get closer to your budget but keep in mind about updates as they tend to run ~500/year for the Autel and if you are working on newer Kodi nox stuff it needs to be up to date.

Last edited:

Rumblebunny

TDI
Mk4 ALH Beetle
I needed a cheap OBD scanner/reset tool, and was advised to look for one designed for VAG. I ended up getting this:

I paid $38 for it, and I'm surprised it does what it says it does. The first problem I have with it is the skimpy documentation and instructions, and the second is my inexperience. If I had experience with scanners this would probably be great. I'll figure it out over time.

I don't need the VAGCOM or another $500+ tool. It'd be like giving a specialized army sniper rifle to a new shooter who wants to knock over cans at 50 yards.

Rumblebunny

TDI
Mk4 ALH Beetle
There are other cheap scanners that are similar.

I don't know how the OP needs to do, but any scanner is going to have a learning curve. As for me, the Ross-Tek is too much information for me to process.