AllTrack Skid Plate Install

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
HumbleMechanic has a really good video outlining the procedure, so I'm not going to go into too much additional detail, but here's the parts list:
  • Skid plate: 3Q0825902B
  • Passenger-side bracket: 5Q0825922A
  • Driver-side bracket: 5Q0825921
  • M8x1 x 25mm bolts: N0195307
(Pro tip for Mac users: There's a Safari extension named Vinegar which, once installed and enabled, gets rid of all of those annoying ads that YouTube foists upon you. Costs a couple $$, but was worth it the first day I had it installed.)

Just a few photos from my install to help illustrate the hassle of getting the front support brackets on without removing the bumper cover.

There was no way I could figure how to get the bolt even started working from underneath, so I went in from the lower bumper grill. I don't think a normal wobble extension would be able to work at the angle necessary, so I used a "universal joint" socket extension to install and tighten the bolt that holds the bracket to the frame rail.

Here's the hole the bolt goes through (RH / passenger side), viewed through the lower bumper grill (past the radiator holder on the right).

And then close-up:

And with universal-joint socket holding the bolt:

...and closer-up:

And from the other side, under the car looking to the front of the car, here's what the bolt is going through to thread into the support bracket:

And support bracket installed (albeit on the driver side; forgot to get photo of the passenger side, where all the other photos are from 🤦‍♂️):

And if you're wondering if you could install this same plate on the underside of your 2016-2018 A3 e-tron....nope! While the skid plate is a perfect fit and aligns with all the bolt and screw holes on the sub-frame and underbody cowling, there's no way to get those support brackets installed.
(Yes, I included this note to remind myself in case I get the urge to attempt this in the future.)

Last edited:

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT, '01 Golf GLS 5MT, '96 Passat variant
Did you transfer the rat carpet insulation from your original splash pan to the skidplate and close off the trans cooling duct or leave everything as is? I thought the open duct would put an end to the relatively clean underside of the drivetrain and so I closed it off. The additional insulation seemed like a no lose proposition (now that I've got the rat problem under control).

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
there are Alltrack pans that don't have "cooling vents" our '17 alltrack DSG doesn't have any vents and i feel the underside of the DSG is much cleaner because of it.

I don't buy the need of the "vents for added cooling of the DSG" as the DSG has it's own cooling loop and I hardly drive it as if it's a true race car, just a faux race car, lol.

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
there are Alltrack pans that don't have "cooling vents" our '17 alltrack DSG doesn't have any vents and i feel the underside of the DSG is much cleaner because of it.

I don't buy the need of the "vents for added cooling of the DSG" as the DSG has it's own cooling loop and I hardly drive it as if it's a true race car, just a faux race car, lol.
Yes, I tried to find the no-vent version when I did this a couple of years ago, but for some reason that I now can't remember, I couldn't get one. I agree about the need for the vent; even less of a need for a 6MT.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
I picked up one of these plates a few years ago when they were showing up on eBay for ~$100 with free shipping from Germany. My car is a manual but only the vented DSG plates were available. Small "sacrifice" for the savings.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
Thanks for the pics and how-to Nuje!

I added the 5Q0825902B skid plate to one of our Mk7's back when they were "cheap" but the price went up, so I stopped there. I followed golfdave's thread at the golfmk7 forums, which is information-dense (but his research is always interesting). Mine came with a section of fabric material and no ducts (his thread says 902C has one duct, and 902B has no ducts). I ended up using different VW bolts of the same size/length/rating for some reason, I think they were easier to tighten than the ones his thread suggested. I took the front bumper cover off since I had become adept at doing it quickly, but found the most annoying part was the angle of the mounting brackets once installed- they didn't align to allow the skid plate hardware to fit. I was at Mike McCann's for some services, and he just tapped them with a mallet until everything lined up.

I like having it, but I'm not sure it's ever scraped anything significant, unlike the Panzer plate on the MkIV, which looks like the starboard side of the Titanic!

golfdave's thread for future lookers:

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Did you transfer the rat carpet insulation from your original splash pan to the skidplate and close off the trans cooling duct or leave everything as is? I thought the open duct would put an end to the relatively clean underside of the drivetrain and so I closed it off. The additional insulation seemed like a no lose proposition (now that I've got the rat problem under control).
The plate I got came with the rodent home-building material covering half of the plate, and I didn't transfer over the stuff from the old plate because all of the snow (and melt) we've had lately completely water-logged that material on the old one. It's sitting in the garage, though, so the plan is to transfer it over at some point for the additional sound-deadening.

[golfdave's] thread says 902C has one duct, and 902B has no ducts). I ended up using different VW bolts of the same size/length/rating for some reason, I think they were easier to tighten than the ones his thread suggested.
The plate (...902B) did indeed come with the one vent - it's not subtle so I'm going to look at closing it off once the weather improves.
I used some Mk4 ball-joint bolts and brass washers (no idea where they came from but they were the perfect size) on the three holes at the back and to mount the bracket to frame rails. The front plate-to-bracket bolts I found in my bin-o'-bolts looked like the part number spec'd (8.8 13mm head with a wide base to the head).

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I wonder if these Euro plates are from TDI models or some other variant we don't get over here.

No vent, no foam mouse home material on ours.

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I wonder if these Euro plates are from TDI models or some other variant we don't get over here.

No vent, no foam mouse home material on ours.
Well, don't damage yours. It has been superseded by the vented 3Q0825902B version.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If the skidplate is damaged, the car is probably totaled, lol Doesn't take much front end impact to send them off to the scrap piles.