Alloy Wheel Touch-Up Paint

timwagon

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen Stick
As far as I know, VW doesn't sell touch-up paint for their alloy wheels, but BMW Titanium Silver Metallic paint color (color code 354) is a very good match.

Wurth brand silver wheel paint is available in spray cans, but I wanted something simple to touch-up a small scratch on one of my rims.

I ordered the small bottle with the brush in the cap from www.automotivetouchup.com, and a bottle of clear coat. They also sell paint pens and spray cans.

The color match is excellent, and it only took a few minutes to clean the scratch, use the touch-up, and then give it a clear-coat.

AutomotiveTouchUp also sells a small pack of various wet/dry sandpaper grits for only $3, which is a real bargain. For around $20 you can get the paint, clearcoat, and the pack of sandpaper.

I'm no detailing expert, but I can recommend this for anyone looking for an easy fix for a small ding or scratch on their rims.

The BMW Titanium Silver color has been in use since at least model year 2000, so it doesn't matter which model year you enter on the website as long as you select Titanium Silver Metallic color code #354.

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
I'll be ordering a bottle.

Cooper

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW (traded in 5/2015)
Wurth makes a silver alloy wheel paint for German cars. Do a search for "Wurth wheel paint" and the like. They also sell the clearcoat for wheels.

You can also search and find a link to a DIY on a BMW forum of repairing curbed wheels with filler and paint.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
The 354 from autotouchup proved to be a very good match. I bought that as well as primer and clear coat in the two ounce jars with brush-on applicators. The outer edges of all four wheels were peeling.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
I found a Toyota silver touch up paint at AAP that's a very good match. Probably $5 or so.

One of the on-line touch up paint places has the wheel paint for MBz. It's essentially a perfect match for many German wheels.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
I sanded, primed, and painted the outer edges of my alloys due to chipped paint. Now I'm touching up the inner edges of some of the spokes; 13 per wheel. I would like to know what type of paint was originally used at the factory. The 354 I bought appears to be acrylic lacquer. Also the inside of the wheel has some kind of coating that is flaking off, and that is creating moisture to migrate under the paint on the outer spokes causing lifting. This same coating appears under the outer top coat and I've noticed that the acrylic paint tends to lift it as well even after I feather edged it.

P0234

Veteran Member
TDI
11 JSW
Toyota Millenium Silver from an 00 Celica is a pretty close match too, $5 at your favorite parts store.

spyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 VW GLS NB TDI (UTE)
I have a few curb rashes on my wheels from when the wife drives, or at least that's the story I'm sticking to among other men. This should touch up some of those spots.

RCE1

TDI
Golf
The first (and only) time I took my TDI through a car wash, the track left a big gash in my drivers side front rim. Arrgh. I was at Pep Boys and found the DupliColor array. Their VW02039 Reflex Silver Metallic does a very good job. I just degreased the spot and dabbed the color on, so you can still see where the booboo was, but it disappears from any distance. I'll wait till I get a few more spots before filling and sanding, but for now, this is fine.

gallaj01

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon TDI GLS, 2001 Jetta TDI GLS, 2017 Golf AllTrack
Wurth makes a silver alloy wheel paint for German cars. Do a search for "Wurth wheel paint" and the like. They also sell the clearcoat for wheels.
You can also search and find a link to a DIY on a BMW forum of repairing curbed wheels with filler and paint.
Wurth wheel paint is the way to go. This products is specific for wheel pait touch-up on VW/Audi, BMW, MB, and Porsche OEM silver wheels. Here is a link to the NASA repair guide from the BMW forum mentioned.
I have used this on a set of 18" Aristos for my MKIV and the results were excellent.

kevreh

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen
These are great tips. My wife put some decent scratches (deeper than a rash imho) on a wheel on our 2011 TDI Sportwagen. I'm thinking of doing whats been mentioned above PLUS maybe filling the scratches with JB Weld. This is a very strong 2 part epoxy designed to be used on metal. Its actually supposed to be as strong as steel. I'm pretty sure the pro's that come out and do wheel repair use something like this.

Steps should be to:

- Lightly sand scratches/grooves to prep surface
- Fill with JB Weld
- Sand down to match surrounding profile
- Prim and paint using color and clearcoat from automotivetouchup.com

Any thoughts?

edit: after further research it looks like some people use a bondo type product for building up scratches

Last edited:

BrianCT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDI
Back in 2007 I repainted a set of rims for winter here. I used DulpiColor wheel paint. Used clear coat DupliColor as a final sealer too. Came out nice. I posted in this thread because of the Red Putty [spot putty] used to fill in the deep curbage marks.

I also did a set of OZ rims as well a year earlier here but with a compressor and professional spray gun. This was a friend of mine up in Coventry, CT who restores hotrods... etc...