alloy wheel search

Liggett

TDI
'13 Jetta Sportwagon,'18 Ram Ecodiesel, '97 Passat TDI,'83 Jetta TD,'82 Jetta Diesel, 3-4 Golf and Rabbit diesels
I'm looking for a reasonably priced set of used alloys for the wife's summer tires. '13 Mk 6 JSW. I think 100mm is the bolt circle but what offset, or what offsets are acceptable?

Thanks

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
They are 112mm bolt pattern w 57.1mm hub (this leaves you alot of option with other make rim swaps using hub adapters).
The 17x7 I believe are 48mm offset, not sure of the 16"

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
I've got two sets of 5x112 wheels. One set is 16", the other is 17". The 16's are older Dittos used in winter (and look like it), the 17's are Genevas, and were take-offs at 30k miles, so they look quite nice. Both sets have tires (Nokian Hakkas on the Dittos, and Conti all-season on the Geneva).

tjg

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 TDI A3, '14 TDI Sportwagen
Are you looking for a stock wheel or aftermarket?

For aftermarket, you can't go wrong with a set of enkei RPF-1's. Reasonable price and at 17" they're around 16lbs per wheel.

Liggett

TDI
'13 Jetta Sportwagon,'18 Ram Ecodiesel, '97 Passat TDI,'83 Jetta TD,'82 Jetta Diesel, 3-4 Golf and Rabbit diesels
Thanks guys. I'm looking for a set of alloys for the wifes Mk6 TDI that has steel 16" wheels. Her studded Nokians are on them now. I'm looking for a good set of 16" alloys (don't care what brand, VW or aftermarket) for her summer tires. I thought they were 100mm bolt circle but are they 112mm? I need to know also what offsets are workable and I guess also the hub diameter.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
Thanks guys. I'm looking for a set of alloys for the wifes Mk6 TDI that has steel 16" wheels. Her studded Nokians are on them now. I'm looking for a good set of 16" alloys (don't care what brand, VW or aftermarket) for her summer tires. I thought they were 100mm bolt circle but are they 112mm? I need to know also what offsets are workable and I guess also the hub diameter.
Yes- 5x112.
You can use the online calculators to compare offsets, but honestly the easiest thing to do is use OEM 16" VW wheels from a Mk6/7, since those will all fit without worry. No offense to the aftermarket, but IMO the OEM wheels look better on the TDI.
If yuu don't mind used wheels, there are several nice sets on CL near Burlington (plus you'll save hundreds of dollars).

Liggett

TDI
Yes- 5x112.
You can use the online calculators to compare offsets, but honestly the easiest thing to do is use OEM 16" VW wheels from a Mk6/7, since those will all fit without worry. No offense to the aftermarket, but IMO the OEM wheels look better on the TDI.
If yuu don't mind used wheels, there are several nice sets on CL near Burlington (plus you'll save hundreds of dollars).
Thanks for that. I'd like to find a used VW set that's not been rin in our winters. Weight, etc. mean nothing. Any alloys should both weigh less and look better than her current steelies and the plastic hubcaps. Plus it will save the expense of having them dismounted, changed and rebalanced 2x per year which is about $120 total. I'll ck CL for those wheels. Will these from a Vanagon fit? 7Jx16 H2 ET 49 on the inside.

Last edited:

Liggett

TDI
Yeah. They're about 65 miles away but I have a Bud in that town. He's going to grab them today and we'll see each other in Feb, for the exchange of cash and wheels. Perfect.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
For OEM, myturbodiesel is a great resource to see pictures and specifications for different wheels.
OEM VW and Audi wheel picture gallery, specs, and part numbers

If you find an OEM wheel you like, the WHEEL COLLISION CENTER is a great place to get used refinished wheels that look like new. They'll ship the wheels to you. I've used them multiple times for a single replacement wheel for my son's 2 cars and for an entire set of wheels for my car.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
For aftermarket, you can't go wrong with a set of enkei RPF-1's. Reasonable price and at 17" they're around 16lbs per wheel.
What drivability and mph differences have you noticed?

tjg

Veteran Member
TDI
What drivability and mph differences have you noticed?
So I don't have any actual numbers right now. I put the wheels on my A3 right as they changed over to winter diesel here in KY.
Butt dyno wise, it feels a little quicker? But to be honest, I can't really give you a concrete answer.

Going down an inch in diameter (from the 18" rotor style wheels that came stock) to 17" gave me a bit more comfortable ride though.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
Damn spell check (mph), sorry I meant MPG.

tjg

Veteran Member
TDI
I understood what you meant. I should have a better idea this spring. To be honest, I don't have a good idea of what kind of mpg the A3 can achieve right now. My commute to work is about 15 miles at 40-60mph and hilly. I'll normally get around 40-41mpg (it's stage 3) but that includes the time driving while the car is still warming up. If it's cold (20-32 degrees F) I'll get around 35-39mpg on the way to work.