All windows down 1" automatically, is this possible?

RNDDUDE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
I routinely 'crack' all of the windows a bit when parking in hot areas, and mow I have to do each window one at a time. I have always wondered why manufacturers don't have a separate interior switch that would allow you to control all windows up & down concurrently. On my NewBeetle, the key can be used to raise/lower both windows (there are only two) at the same time, so perhaps there is a way.....just wishin'...

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
If you use VCDS and set up window opening with the remote control, you could press the unlock button and hold it down only until the windows open slightly and then release the button and the windows will stop going down. Then you could press the lock button once and lock the doors with the windows slightly down.

I know this works on my '09 JSW. Your newer one has slightly different electronics, so you will have to experiment a bit.

I know of no way to pre-program your windows to do what you want.

Have Fun!

Don

nois

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL
If you use VCDS and set up window opening with the remote control, you could press the unlock button and hold it down only until the windows open slightly and then release the button and the windows will stop going down. Then you could press the lock button once and lock the doors with the windows slightly down.

I know this works on my '09 JSW. Your newer one has slightly different electronics, so you will have to experiment a bit.

I know of no way to pre-program your windows to do what you want.

Have Fun!

Don
This also works on my '12 Jetta - you can even program the sunroof to open along with the four windows if you want.

RNDDUDE

Veteran Member
TDI
So...with that VCDS tweak, let me see if I get this right...you would have to exit the car (with all windows up), lock it with the fob, then hit and hold unlock, which also starts all windows down, then release the unlock button when the windows are down far enough, then hit lock to lock the car, and the windows will remain there. Is that correct? How would you get the windows back up all at once, if desired?

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
So...with that VCDS tweak, let me see if I get this right...you would have to exit the car (with all windows up), lock it with the fob, then hit and hold unlock, which also starts all windows down, then release the unlock button when the windows are down far enough, then hit lock to lock the car, and the windows will remain there. Is that correct? How would you get the windows back up all at once, if desired?

Mostly correct. You do not have to lock it after you exit the car.
1) Exit the car - leave it unlocked
2) Press and hold the unlock button until the windows begin to all come down then release.
3) Press lock button (I am assuming that you want to leave the car locked).

If you press and hold the lock button the windows will go back up.

Press and hold unlock and the windows go down, press and hold the lock button and the windows go up. Optionally these buttons can also control the sunroof (if installed).

Have Fun!

Don

RNDDUDE

Veteran Member
TDI
Terrific! Thanks so much, I do have a VCDS, so now I have (another) weekend project. Thanks also to nois for confirming that this works also on the later cars, as some of the control modules have been dumbed-down on the '11 & '12 models.:):):):):)

Rob_MacCara

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi Q3 gasser
The sun roof will completely close with the lock button on the fob, but only tilt open when using the unlock button. It would be nice to be able to fully open the sun roof from the key fob.

nois

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL
The sun roof will completely close with the lock button on the fob, but only tilt open when using the unlock button. It would be nice to be able to fully open the sun roof from the key fob.
My Jetta's sunroof will completely open (not just tilt/vent) with the key fob unlock button when the control module is programmed to open the sunroof with the windows.

Rob_MacCara

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi Q3 gasser
My Jetta's sunroof will completely open (not just tilt/vent) with the key fob unlock button when the control module is programmed to open the sunroof with the windows.
Is that ability something new in 2012 over 2011? I understood that as a safety measure the tilt vs. wide open was the only permissible way.

nois

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL
Is that ability something new in 2012 over 2011? I understood that as a safety measure the tilt vs. wide open was the only permissible way.
I think the key fob (wireless) operation of the windows/sunroof is disabled from the factory in the US market due to safety concerns. I guess this is enabled in other markets.
The factory enabled function for the window down/up feature is provided only with the use of the key in the door lock and the sunroof won't open but will close with this method.

This could also be different between the Golf, Passat, Jetta, etc.

elbutler72

TDI
2004 Jetta GLS TDI Sedan
Got this done on my 04 jetta. I love it. Works great. It will close the sunroof, but it will not open the sunroof.

alberg

Veteran Member
TDI
1.6 Tdi CR
Try 2 things
1. lock/unlock button inside car, pree amd keep pressing first to unlock doors ( yes I know they are unlocked already)to see all windons go down. Same goes to rise all, press and keep pressed the lock button.
2. Open car with remote control, open drivers doors and press and keep pressed drivers window switch to lower window (no key need to be in), if windows go down then do vice versa to raise drivers window.
Keep posted

Rutch

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW TDI
Can also stick the key in the door and if you unlock the doors and keep turning the key, all 4 windows will roll down until you let go of the key. Turning the key to lock will roll the windows up.

Found this out after a trip to the beach last week killed my keyfob.

nois

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL
I was looking at the control module bit choices for the comfort function and found that I can either A) fully open the sunroof with the fob unlock button [tick Bits 0, 1, 3, 4, 5, 7] or B) tilt open the sunroof with the fob unlock button [tick Bits 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7]. This may differ with other models and MYs.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I've been using my fob to close my windows at one time, rather than doing it from inside the car one at a time. I also sometimes use the fob to crack all the windows a little at one time. It works great, but today I walked away from my car and left all the windows wide open! Some guy came up to me a lunch and said, "Dude, you left all your windows open."

It is 100 degrees today, so maybe that wasn't such a bad idea. I did go out and close them, except for the crack. I'm just saying, be careful to close your windows. :)

Rob_MacCara

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi Q3 gasser
I was looking at the control module bit choices for the comfort function and found that I can either A) fully open the sunroof with the fob unlock button [tick Bits 0, 1, 3, 4, 5, 7] or B) tilt open the sunroof with the fob unlock button [tick Bits 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7]. This may differ with other models and MYs.
I finally was able to test this today, and my bit 2 is to either 0 open sunroof or 1 tilt sunroof. Tried changing it / resetting it but still the sunroof only tilts.

kanek_o_north

TDI
2012 Jetta
Has anyone gotten this sunroof function to work on TDI SE 2012?

I admit I'm a newbie on VAGCOM, but I cannot see any settings in the convenience functions to tilt or open the sunroof. I see all the options to turn on/off horn confirmation and junk, but not sunroof. I'll keep looking, but any help? Thx!

I should've mentioned - I do not have KESSY, am wondering if that's the issue, no KESSY, no Sunroof or window open via remote?

*** 3 hours later!

OK, figured it out, yes I was a newbie! For the next person to try to figure it out, it's in the long coding of the convenience settings, you have to select the right byte that stores the information, and flip those bits that tell the sunroof to either open all the way, or just tilt (my preference) from the remote. Works like a champ!

Last edited:

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
Yep have a Ross Tech Cable and did this to my JSW TDI DSG....Works like a charm. I am pretty good at stopping it at where it is cracked. However to get exactly 1" is a matter of luck and timing.

With summer coming I'll be putting the windshield shield up and cracking the windows.

I kind of wish the windows had a rain sensor like the sunroof has on some models. There were a few times I left the windows cracked, maybe a little too much and it rained. I was shocked, significant water got in the car, door arm rest, seat, carpet wet. It was nothing that would cause permanent damage. However your rear gets wet if you don't wipe seat down first. I suppose enough water could damage door electrical switches.

Last edited: