Alignment not covered in warranty?

Lincoln

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6 Speed MT
So I had my 10k maintenance on Thursday, and the dealership said I need an alignment (negative total toe in rear). I said, "you'll do that under the bumper-to-bumper, right?" and they said that an alignment is not covered... Am I wrong to be really frustrated that a ~$25k new car needs an alignment at the first service and that it isn't covered by the warranty? This is my first new car, so perhaps my expectations are too high? I just assumed that "bumper-to-bumper" included the suspension, since it's pretty squarely located between the two bumpers.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Because the alignment can be knocked out by many things like potholes, hitting a curb or other similar things, alignment is usually only covered if the buyer complains about it on delivery of a new car. If you had noticed a problem when you first bought the car, they would have aligned it for free. Since you drove it for 10k miles, they have no way of knowing if the alignment was off from the factory, or if was knocked out of alignment while you drove it. This gives them an easy out to refuse to pay for it. It appears that dealerships are always looking for an excuse to not honor their warranty.

Have Fun!

Don

RebelTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi Q5 TDI, 2016 BMW 535d Xdrive
That is frustrating. I was told that depending upon your road conditions a car may need realignment once every year and a half or so.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Having worked the dealership side for more than one dealer (domestic and import), very few OEMs will cover alignments anything after the first 3000mi.

You could take a new car, and with one pothole throw it out of alignment 10 miles after you drove it off the lot.

I would be curious as to how they knew that the car had a total negative toe in the rear without setting it up and performing most of the steps needed to align the car... :rolleyes:

... In which case I would ask the service writer how they came to know that the toe was out in the rear, and by how much. If they admit to putting on the alignment machine, I would ask why they were asking for so much money given that adjusting the toe on a brand new car would take an additional ten minutes - maybe.

If they did not put it on the rack, then I would seriously question how they managed to eyeball negative toe in the rear...

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
So I had my 10k maintenance on Thursday, and the dealership said I need an alignment (negative total toe in rear). I said, "you'll do that under the bumper-to-bumper, right?" and they said that an alignment is not covered... Am I wrong to be really frustrated that a ~$25k new car needs an alignment at the first service and that it isn't covered by the warranty? This is my first new car, so perhaps my expectations are too high? I just assumed that "bumper-to-bumper" included the suspension, since it's pretty squarely located between the two bumpers.
Your expectations are too high! Like others have said, alignment is a sensitive thing. Curbs, potholes and the like effect it greatly, it isnt reasonable to expect the dealership to cover it.

I'll assume that the dealership assumes Negative Toe due to tire wear?

Lincoln

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6 Speed MT
They did an alignment check within a few minutes of me arriving, and showed me the sheet while I was still describing a problem with my stereo at the front desk. I suspect they do a quick check on everyone who comes in, in hope of doing an up-sell for an alignment. At first they weren't going to give me a copy of the sheet, but I politely pushed them to (it's a check they did on my car, after all). The good news is that the alignment really isn't all that bad, in my opinion. I was just frustrated that they wouldn't do it. But I suppose, for the reasons given above, that sort of makes sense.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
We've historically been used car folks, cars almost all SAABs, and with a good number of miles (70-80K) when purchased. Anyhow, just the SAABs account for 14 cars over 42 years. Mixed in there was an ancient Ford pickup and a new Dodge pickup, a decrepit '78 Buick Special and a couple of nondescript VWs that the kids drove. Total alignments: 2. Oh, yeah, we had the SAAB we're still driving aligned last year at 15X,XXX miles because the tires were cupping pretty badly. That's not a lot, particularly for people who've been living in a rural area with roads that are not the greatest all that time.
If the dealer told me our Passat needed an alignment and I'd have to pay, I'd say "thanks" and take it to the tire store we've used for 35 years, which we trust.

NSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat
I had a new Ford once, needed new rear rotors at 6000KM, ended up with 4 complete sets, front and back in 66,000KM's, then traded the car. They wanted me to pay for them all (brakes are not covered on warranty), I paid for none. No way a new car needs rotors at 6000KM or a wheel alignment at 10,000 miles, unless you hit a big hole so hard you'd remember it. They are just digging in your wallet I'd bet.

On my 2 previous VW's I had a wheel alignment done once or twice in 700,000KM.

BTW, I got 170,000KM's on the rear rotors on the Beetle 220,000 on the fronts.

Don

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I don't buy a lot of new cars (8 since 1994) but I now have a habit of having every car I buy, including new ones, aligned soon after purchase. The rear of my Golf was out of alignment upon delivery.

Honestly it never occurred to me to go back to the dealer for an alignment, perhaps because it took four tries for my local dealer (now out of business) to get the alignment right on my wagon.

Road hazards happen. Other people drive your car and bump into things without your knowledge. I think you're expecting too much.

And those of you that don't get alignments, that's fine. Some of us are a bit more sensitive to this than others. My mechanic says I can feel a tire that's 1/4 oz. out of balance. I've had the tires on my Golf balanced three times, and they've been on the car for less than 10K. But now they're right. And currently I have two cars that need alignments. Fortunately I don't drive them a lot so it doesn't bother me much. OCD is a terrible thing to live with. :)

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
As stated already, in my experience alignments are usually only covered for the first ~3,000 miles or so after delivery (or an alignment).

kenners

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup - Traded in 2- 2014 Passat's
My wife purchased her 2014 Passat TDI SEL March 24, 2014. Installed 4 new Toyo Proxes 4+ on April 24, 2014 with 882 miles on car. After thinking about what Les Schwab stated "alignment should be checked with the installation of new tires". We had alignment checked on May 10, 2014 with 1515 miles. Front caster (not adjustable) should be 7.42 to 8.42, actual was 7.28. Right rear toe should be 0" to 5/64", actual was -1/32". Thinking hers was 60 some dollars. Can't find receipt right now.

I purchased a 2014 Passat TDI SEL on April 25, 2014. Installed same Toyo Proxes 4 + before leaving for home, with 107 miles on car. On May 10, 2014 with 795 miles I had alignment done by Les Schwab. Front right caster was 7/64". Back left toe was 3/32" and back right toe was -1/16". My cost was 90.43.

So in my experience, I'm not sure Volkswagen sends these out the door with a middle of the road specifications.

Any input or suggestions on getting reimbursed for said charges to bring NEW cars back to factory specs ?

I have sent a copy of the spec alignment sheet and bill to the dealer I purchased my car, and have yet to receive a response. Sent Saturday pm and it's now Wednesday pm.

But they insist that if you can't give them all 10's on the rating that you get with them PRIOR to filling out survey for new car purchase.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Were any of the measurements out of spec? And caster not only isn't adjustable on either car, it's affected by front and rear ride height. If the fuel tank was low, or the car was sitting tall on new springs and shocks, caster may be off.

Doubt you're going to get anywhere with the dealer reimbursement, especially if none of the measurements were out of the acceptable range. And if they were they will probably say you should have brought it back to them. I'd look at it as getting $150 worth of better tire life and peace of mind.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
So in my experience, I'm not sure Volkswagen sends these out the door with a middle of the road specifications.

Any input or suggestions on getting reimbursed for said charges to bring NEW cars back to factory specs ?

I have sent a copy of the spec alignment sheet and bill to the dealer I purchased my car, and have yet to receive a response. Sent Saturday pm and it's now Wednesday pm.

But they insist that if you can't give them all 10's on the rating that you get with them PRIOR to filling out survey for new car purchase.
Good luck with repayment, especially since your selling dealership probably has the means to address and fix your "problems". Did you give them the opportunity to make changes? Did you complain about pulling to the left or right prior to heading to see Les?

I wish you luck, but even with the all important "survey" hanging over their head I doubt that you will recieve any compensation, and rightfully so IMHO.

TDI smile

Veteran Member
Edmonton, Alberta (b4 BC - LOWER MAINLAND = Chilli
TDI
2002 TDI (ALH) with 513,000 km. First Owner and very happy... No Problems, never left us stranded on the Highway. Average useage is about between under 4 ltr. and 5 ltr. Normal longdistance travel: 4.1/100
That is frustrating. I was told that depending upon your road conditions a car may need realignment once every year and a half or so.
I drove my car for 12 years and it needed no alignment up to now....

Who knows what will happy tomorrow. Roads are pretty smooth here in BC :D

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
My wife purchased her 2014 Passat TDI SEL March 24, 2014. Installed 4 new Toyo Proxes 4+ on April 24, 2014 with 882 miles on car. After thinking about what Les Schwab stated "alignment should be checked with the installation of new tires". We had alignment checked on May 10, 2014 with 1515 miles. Front caster (not adjustable) should be 7.42 to 8.42, actual was 7.28. Right rear toe should be 0" to 5/64", actual was -1/32". Thinking hers was 60 some dollars. Can't find receipt right now.

I purchased a 2014 Passat TDI SEL on April 25, 2014. Installed same Toyo Proxes 4 + before leaving for home, with 107 miles on car. On May 10, 2014 with 795 miles I had alignment done by Les Schwab. Front right caster was 7/64". Back left toe was 3/32" and back right toe was -1/16". My cost was 90.43.

I find this kind of comical, since the alignment tools mount to the wheel, not the tire . . . Thus negating any effect of tire changes, other than maybe mismatched diameter.

So, as I read this 'recommendation', it's got to be one of three things:

1) They think they might bend a wheel mounting tires. (And even that should not change alignment readings . . .)

2) They are concerned that thier techs are such apes that the will knock the suspension out of alignment doing an R&R of the wheels.

3) They are padding profits (much like the 3000 mile oil change guys) by recommending unneeded work. And I bet the charge is the same when it's fine - having done zero labor to adjust anything, thus driving up profit.

I know which one I'd bet on, and it starts with a 3 . . .

- Tim

Last edited:

kenners

TDI
Were any of the measurements out of spec? And caster not only isn't adjustable on either car, it's affected by front and rear ride height. If the fuel tank was low, or the car was sitting tall on new springs and shocks, caster may be off.

Doubt you're going to get anywhere with the dealer reimbursement, especially if none of the measurements were out of the acceptable range. And if they were they will probably say you should have brought it back to them. I'd look at it as getting $150 worth of better tire life and peace of mind.
Selling dealer was 300 miles away. There is a local dealer, but chose to have Les Schwab check alignment. My feeling is dealer would probably question if alignment verification would be necessary, and might tell me everything is acceptable. Les Schwab would provide a non biased opinion.

Each of the values mentioned were out of spec. Though they may not have been out by much, they were still out. In the business I'm involved in, you have to meet specifications. If something is out by 0.001" it is brought back into design specs. You don't send something out the door with close enough.

I did text sales person shortly after posting on this site. Got a reply that they sent the information to manager. Was told he would call me. Will update with the response.

kenners

TDI
Yesterday I received a check for $ 90.43 from my purchase dealer. Reimbursed for an alignment of my 2014 Passat with 795 miles.
I very much appreciate the support from the dealer. I did not know if I would get $$, but felt it was important to let them know the car was not within design specifications.