Aligning doors on a golf - how to

Combine17

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GTD
Does anyone know how adjust and properly align doors for a 2001 2-door golf tdi??

car is 10 years old and since the doors are bigger and heavier its starting to sag and its chipping my paint on the bottom of the fender...so the whole door needs to be lifted so it doesn't touch.

davebugs

Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI Automatic, MKIV rear axle bushing install tools
Does anyone know how adjust and properly align doors for a 2001 2-door golf tdi??

car is 10 years old and since the doors are bigger and heavier its starting to sag and its chipping my paint on the bottom of the fender...so the whole door needs to be lifted so it doesn't touch.
Nothing specific and perhaps someone who has done this will chime in - or a body guy.

Often it's just the hinge pins and they can be replaced - with oversize sometimes if necessary. I've done it on other VW's.

Come to think of it I'll be parting an 02 GTI that had good hinges in the next couple months with m90k on it.

TDI_bubble

Veteran Member
TDI
98 tdi bubble
On the bug theirs several adjustments, just like most cars.

The first you can do is pop off the A pillar plastic and there should be two bolts that hold the top hinge on. You can loosen these and move the door more 'up' where its going to be when it's closed. Also you can move the door stop, but that's not normally the first step. My door was soo far down that it hit the doorstop and bent the sheetmetal on the door. The pin under the mirror was fairly loose so I had to tighten it as well.
Not sure if the bottom moves at all, but if you really need some adjustment you could get the slack out of the holes from there as well by moving it and retightening it where it needs to be.

bulabula

Veteran Member
TDI
A5 Jetta; A4 Golf 2-door; Dodge Cummins Turbo Diesel
Nice timely thread for me. My driver's side door is a bit low; I've taken to lifting up the door when I close it.