Alh wont start

Lewis98

TDI
04 Jetta Bew
So I have am reaching out because I am 100% stumped on this one! Full story bought an 02 tdi with a blown engine with vnt17, 1019 nozzles, South Beth clutch.
Picked up a motor with 245,000 said it ran but thought the wiring in the car he pulled it out of was ****. I have 420-400 compression in each cylinder, swapped injectors out of a running car of my I know those are good, injectors pump came of a car that had run away but we got it running afterwards. Timing is 100% on. Tested all voltage and ohms to injection pump with another car I got they are relatively the same. It turns over fine at 300 rpm, and smokes like a train, white. Will run on starting fluid. Has stage 4 malone ecu. I have no idea left NEED HELP!

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Take it back to three basics of an ICE: Air, heat (compression), fuel (at the right time) - which one is missing?

Compression looks good, so heat ✅
Air: ASV isn't closed?
Fuel...100% sure the IP is properly aligned? With engine at TDC and cam locked in place (verified not 180° out?), you see this in the injection pump slot?

Last edited:

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
You have to take have the valve cover off and confirm that the cam lobes above cylinder #1 are pointed fwd/bwd.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
At Top Dead Center, the timing mark on the flywheel must be at the pointer (not off in either direction).
If so, the Pin should slide in the IP Sprocket Hole with ease.
Then, if the Cam is properly timed, the Cam Lock Plate should slide in place with ease....

Now, loosen (do not remove) the three bolts holding the IP Sprocket. Using a 22 mm wrench or other tool, slightly move the IP shaft so that the three bolts are in the center of the slots in the IP Sprocket. Then, tighten the three bolts .............. Engine should start!

Lewis98

TDI
04 Jetta Bew
Timing is on cam lock tool was inplace and IP was locked the indicator on the flywheel was dead nuts. Cam looks just like that picture! Thanks for the response

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
So, did you loosen the three bolts on the IP Sprocket and center them in the slots and re-tighten?

Lewis98

TDI
04 Jetta Bew
I did not loosen the 3 bolts and center that pulley. What that cause it not to start? I also do not have any coolant in the car right now is that going to matter?

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Question... When installing this engine and changing injectors, etc., did you change the Timing Belt or loosen anything having to do with the Timing Belt, such as Cam Sprocket, Injection Pump Sprocket or Timing Belt Tensioner? If not, there is an assumption that the Timing would be okay "assuming" the engine was running before removal from the previous vehicle. So, if all that be true, and you are getting loads of smoke, apparently there is a restriction somewhere in the Air Intake System ............ White Smoke indicates little to no air entering the cylinders or very advanced or very retarded timing.

Now, if you did do a Timing Belt replacement, well, I suggest that you go back to the basic procedures. At TDC with everything locked/pinned, loosen the Cam Sprocket (do not remove it), loosen the three bolts on the Injection Pump Sprocket and then loosen the Tensioner only slightly. Now, see if the slots in the IP Sprocket are roughly centered on the three bolts. If the bolts are to the extreme right or left in the slots, it is highly likely that's the problem. You will never get it timed properly with bolts in the slots completely to the left or right.

Lastly, there is a "dummy" hole or "false" hole at the IP Sprocket that can easily be confused with the correct hole! If you are working from that hole, well, the Timing is horribly off. ........... Technically, Timing means timing of the Injection Pump. The Cam and Crankshaft can be perfectly timed (matched) and if the IP is off a smidgen, well, the engine is highly unlikely to start......... just white smoke!

Oh, no coolant or water has nothing to do with the engine starting!

Lewis98

TDI
04 Jetta Bew
I'll go through it again this coming weekend but I feel pretty confident the motor is in tune, just for now assuming its all good there would the motor possibly not run because of injection pressures being to low?

Lewis98

TDI
04 Jetta Bew
Okay sorry for not being on in updating. I went back through every, it was good. So I swapped an injection pump from a running car into it and bled the injectors, fired right up! Thank you for all your help and quick response!