ALH vacuum pump fix

ss010949

TDI
2003 jetta wagon , 2014 audi Q7
hay guys . i am able to wiggle the tube from my vacuum pump for the booster , so it must be sucking air into the head . i think it is pressurizing the inside of the engine block . when i open the oil fill cap , it sounds like a can of soda PSHHH . and have oil leaking around the fill cap . can i fix the pump tube , another pump is a couple hundred $ . hate to spend that on a new pump , when it's just a loose tube . is it just an O ring gone bad ?

Last edited:

ss010949

TDI
yes . its loose where it goes in the pump . i looked at the thread you sent . thats exactly what i need . i'll let you know how it works out ,and thank you so much for the information .

Last edited:

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
hay guys . i am able to wiggle the tube from my vacuum pump for the booster , so it must be sucking air into the head . i think it is pressurizing the inside of the engine block . when i open the oil fill cap , it sounds like a can of soda PSHHH . and have oil leaking around the fill cap . can i fix the pump tube , another pump is a couple hundred $ . hate to spend that on a new pump , when it's just a loose tube . is it just an O ring gone bad ?
the loose nipple will cause loss of vacuum supply. The pump exhausts to the head and adds some pressure normally to the crankcase. There is an internal seal that can fail and dump excess pressure to the crankcase. If this happens you will, or soon will have oil blowing out of everywhere, puddles of it if left to continue.
Check out this link
If you find just the internal o-ring for sale by itself, please post it here

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh

They have both the 2.5mm pt#, 2.50x074, and 3.0mmx74mm viton orings for the internal seal. I read that there is a 2.85mm oring in a thread on this site and that the BRM oil filter oring also works.

ss010949

TDI
thanks for the thread to rebuild the pump . while i have it out , it makes sense to change the internal O ring at the same time , besides ,the wagon has 380 ,000 miles on it .