ALH Tuning

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
What choices are there for tuning these days?

Looking for an ALH "Stage 1" tune, advanced timing for better MPG's, immo delete. All stock hardware, 5 speed.

Without bashing anyone, I've not had any luck, with what used to be, the usual options. Either no communication, no technical ability (can't change timing in the tune, just HP and torque...:unsure:), or have gotten out of the game all together.

Understanding that it wasn't a large market to begin with, and the newest ALH's/EDC15's are 20 years old already - What options are available?

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
pretty much just buy the silver chinese mpps cable and get to learning, kinda thought you were already mapping your own by now...

vagedcsuite is the easy button, winOLS is the hard mode
with winols you can actually disable trouble codes though, so it is much more powerful of a tool, just a lot less simplified

ToxicDoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, S7, .216
You can go with Malone or Kerma. if your engine is stock, they have standard tunes that you can flash in a few minutes with no technical knowledge other than knowing how to plug a cable in.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Talk to Darkside in the UK, see what they have. I fortunately don't need any tuning support right now, but I anticipate the same problem you face when I do.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
What choices are there for tuning these days?

Looking for an ALH "Stage 1" tune, advanced timing for better MPG's, immo delete. All stock hardware, 5 speed.

Without bashing anyone, I've not had any luck, with what used to be, the usual options. Either no communication, no technical ability (can't change timing in the tune, just HP and torque...:unsure:), or have gotten out of the game all together.

Understanding that it wasn't a large market to begin with, and the newest ALH's/EDC15's are 20 years old already - What options are available?
When I read this post, I was thinking about your use case and desire for better FE. Green Diesel Engineering came immediately came to mind, but they've apparently exited the TDI tuning space and scrubbed any TDI content clean from their website... wonder why? :unsure:

The company enjoyed quite a bit of posting traffic here a couple of years ago, customers seemed to be happy and saw real FE gains.

Last edited:

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Years ago I had .205 nozzles and a Stage 3 ( 18 PSI ) tune and my FE was 52 MPG@72 MPH with 4 adults and luggage.
Not to just on focus FE, the power difference was significant. Really significant.

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
Thanks for the replies everyone - I should have been more clear in my original post. This is not for me/my car - Just trying to help out a family member and have been underwhelmed by the response.

I've peered over the ledge of the tuning rabbit hole, I think I've even a MPPS cable somewhere, but have not committed the time (anticipated) that it will take.

As Peter mentioned, there are things that I'd like to improve in my own vehicles too - My twin turbo setup is running a 17/22 & 3 bar MAP tune

Might be time to step off the ledge and pay homage to my screen name...

ToxicDoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, S7, .216
A simple stage 1 tune will make the car so much more responsive, your family member will hit you for not having done it sooner...

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
I am going with a burpod tune. Have been reading his writings since I got here and I think he knows what he is doing. Drop him a PM... :) $40 for the cable/box from ebay.

nevermind that one...I got rooked, is a limited number of uses. Vert der ferk, and why can't I read the whole thing before dropping the $$$. D-Oh!

Douglas

ducesrwld

Veteran Member
TDI
none
in the same boat just picked up a bone stock 5 speed alh and thinking a little tune is needed...esp after getting used to my BRM dear lord i forgot what 90 ponies feels like

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
there are (better) alternatives :) just need to be a little bit willing to expand your mind :D