ALH tune and California smog.

The_Hoove

TDI
2000 Jetta
So I recently found out that starting last summer, California has started checking the ecm CALID/CVN. If they don’t match factory, the car is flagged for a trip to the referee. Anyone run into this with the ALH cars? I know my 04 suburban won’t pass with a tune. I would have to flash back to oem every 2 years.

The_Hoove

TDI
2000 Jetta
Rent a Montana pobox and transfer.
Unfortunately local highway patrol is onto that. Have a couple coworkers that have been ticketed for having Montana plates. Small towns and they are the same car for months on end. They get suspicious. I can register at my in-laws house as well. That’s a county that doesn’t require biennial smog. But I also read that some early 2000s cars have exemptions because the smog equipment can’t read the cal-Id factory. If something like that is the case with our cars, we then I don’t have to worry about changing registration address.

ghohouston

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta Sedan TDI 5 Speed
I honestly don't understand why people still put up with California and their b.s. I don't mean that as a shot at you personally, but jesus, the list of ridiculous crap with that state is never ending.

The_Hoove

TDI
2000 Jetta
I honestly don't understand why people still put up with California and their b.s. I don't mean that as a shot at you personally, but jesus, the list of ridiculous crap with that state is never ending.
I was born and raised here. I live in beautiful mountains where I have had 6 feet of snow, but I’m 2 hours from the desert in Nevada and 2.5 hours from the ocean. I love the rich gold mining history. I have over 100 mountain bike trails less than 2 hours from my house. I bought my house when the market crashed in 2008 and my house payment is dirt cheap. I have a great job with state retirement and benefits. But I can’t stand the politics, the drought, the fires. I’ve been to Oregon, Washington, North Dakota, Montana, Ohio, Nevada, Utah, and several states in between. When I see the mountains here, it’s where my heart is. It’s a sucky trade off.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
I know the feeling. Partially why I don't want to leave my state.

I think it's 2006+ newer cars, and I say that assumption because here in OR they changed the regs a little to where any average Joe shop can do an emissions test as long as it's 2006 or newer. Fun, cause 06 is technically a split year for the mkiv/mkv, but the alh is not applicable.
So unless someone pipes up and confirms it... You'll probably just have to test it and see what happens.

The_Hoove

TDI
2000 Jetta
I know the feeling. Partially why I don't want to leave my state.

I think it's 2006+ newer cars, and I say that assumption because here in OR they changed the regs a little to where any average Joe shop can do an emissions test as long as it's 2006 or newer. Fun, cause 06 is technically a split year for the mkiv/mkv, but the alh is not applicable.
So unless someone pipes up and confirms it... You'll probably just have to test it and see what happens.
I know with my suburban, it’s and 2004, and it applies. Even back to 1996 the first odbii year. I found a list of a few vehicles the it forwent apply to. But I didn’t see the Jetta listed. I haven’t tuned it yet. Need to do the clutch first. Just in planning stages.

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDIs: 2003 Jetta, 2016 Q5 3.0
There is another thread with better information on this... called New California smog checks....... under the West Coast /Canada USA forum L Look for Matt-98AHU 's post and those that follow We may be better to focus on one thread on the same topic.. Bottom line you should be OK with your ALH

The thread explains how to check for specific parameters in the ECU using vagcom to confirm you will be OK.

All the Best

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
At the least, You could have shared the link instead of just a user profile.
For those still interested...

The_Hoove

TDI
2000 Jetta
At the least, You could have shared the link instead of just a user profile.
For those still interested...

Perfect. Thank you. I google searched all over and didn’t find this info.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Didn't California just start a ban on selling gasoline powered outdoor/lawn equipment starting soon? Like lawnmowers and chainsaws and stuff?

Those of us in the Midwest tend to just watch the trainwreck that is California play out, and hope the nonsense never reaches this far. It has some awesome places to visit, I hope they are always there, but man I couldn't fathom trying to live there.

I also just heard Walgreen's is pulling out of the San Francisco area due to the constant shoplifting. What the Eff???

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
I loved California when I was there years ago. It’s a beautiful state unfortunately it’s run by half-wits. I watched this past summer as the folks out there had a chance to change that but it just didn’t happen, apparently the majority are content in their headlong rush into stupidity. I’d like to go back and visit but I probably won’t as I don’t want to run afoul of some obscure highly praised California only law.

Know to the state of cancer to cause California

This is perfect.

The_Hoove

TDI
2000 Jetta
Didn't California just start a ban on selling gasoline powered outdoor/lawn equipment starting soon? Like lawnmowers and chainsaws and stuff?
Pretty much any small equipment under 25hp, including portable generators. In a state that can’t keep the power on either because of fires or the grid cans keep up with the demand, in like 3 years it you won’t be able to buy a new generator! There is not enough power to go around, so everyone has to drive an electric car and use electric yard tools. Makes sense. Most of our power comes from dams. But those are evil, we can build more of those, even though we are in a drought and running out of water and power.
So it’s basically the prettiest and simultaneously the stupidest state to live in.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Pretty much any small equipment under 25hp, including portable generators.
gonna be interesting to see the new rash of 26hp push mowers
probably just use the same rating style as shop-vac motors

"yup we had it running 2000 rpm above the governor, then we coupled it to the dyno for a quarter second and it said 26hp for just long enough for the datalogger to catch it"

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
That doesn't make much sense as it related to VAG products, though. A 2006 BEW car is less advanced on the OBD/CAN front than a 2005 BRM car. I suspect it just depends on the car. There were some changes in OBD protocols that were being phased in around 2005, but were not required until later. VIN residency in the Engine ECU was one of those things.

ghohouston

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta Sedan TDI 5 Speed
I was born and raised here. I live in beautiful mountains where I have had 6 feet of snow, but I’m 2 hours from the desert in Nevada and 2.5 hours from the ocean. I love the rich gold mining history. I have over 100 mountain bike trails less than 2 hours from my house. I bought my house when the market crashed in 2008 and my house payment is dirt cheap. I have a great job with state retirement and benefits. But I can’t stand the politics, the drought, the fires. I’ve been to Oregon, Washington, North Dakota, Montana, Ohio, Nevada, Utah, and several states in between. When I see the mountains here, it’s where my heart is. It’s a sucky trade off.
I hear you, strongly on the sucky trade off. I went when I was a child and remember there were definitely some beautiful sites. Definitely couldn't live there though.