Alh swap

Jarvis89

TDI
04 jetta wagon BEW 97 jetta AHU
I recently picked up a 97 jetta tdi with the AHU which is smog exempt in my state of california but it has an oil pressure issue and I am considering swapping an ALH into it. I feel like I've looked everywhere for this info but cannot find anything.

What parts do I need? Is it simply plug and play?

garciapiano

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDI (1Z)
It’s far from plug and play, but also not as involved as other swaps. A lot of the engine wiring is the same, but everything else AC, power steering, coolant lines etc are different. Thus, swaps also come with their fair share of additional costs to make the engine work in the chassis.

It’s also ridiculously difficult to source inexpensive ALH engines in California. Trust me, I looked. I’m in a similar situation with my Jetta and just ended up sourcing another 1Z and I’m in the process of putting it in.

Jarvis89

TDI
It’s far from plug and play, but also not as involved as other swaps. A lot of the engine wiring is the same, but everything else AC, power steering, coolant lines etc are different. Thus, swaps also come with their fair share of additional costs to make the engine work in the chassis.

It’s also ridiculously difficult to source inexpensive ALH engines in California. Trust me, I looked. I’m in a similar situation with my Jetta and just ended up sourcing another 1Z and I’m in the process of putting it in.
I'm not apposed to buying a totaled MK4 for 2k to be fair, I'm just curious what parts exactly I need for the swap. I read that I need to modify one of the engine mounts to make room for the vnt actuator of the ALH and also I really don't care if power steering or AC works immediately, I could tinker with that as I get it running and driving. I'm just curious exactly what do I need from the MK4? Ecu, cluster, pedals, Trans, axels, shift linkage, harness, what do I need just to get it driving?

Jarvis89

TDI

I also have a running/driving MK4 BEW 5spd and I'm considering just putting that into my MK3 what are your thoughts brother?

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
I recently picked up a 97 jetta tdi with the AHU which is smog exempt in my state of california but it has an oil pressure issue and I am considering swapping an ALH into it. I feel like I've looked everywhere for this info but cannot find anything.

What parts do I need? Is it simply plug and play?
You have looked, let alone everywhere... PLEASE... SPARE ME and the rest of us from your LIES. Do a search and actually look. Like hundreds if not thousands of threads about ALH swaps into everything from jeeps, Geo's Boats, small aircrafts, porches,

You clearly have not researched jack squat.
Q: Where do you hide a dead body?
A: 2nd page of google
You clearly have just tired googling things. If you have searched you would find weeks of reading materials and posts and videos etc...

Ok now that my rant is over... just fix up the AHU you have. Oil pumps and head work are cheap, I mean CHEAP compared to even pulling the engine and trying something else.
If you DID a swap, you need everything, Trans, engine, wiring harness and fuse block and ECU, I mean everything, it would be cheaper to buy a different car...
Also emissions are an EASY pass

why and how do you know you have an oil pressure problem... what is the issue? aside from a rust bucket worth a few grand...

garciapiano

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDI (1Z)
I'm not apposed to buying a totaled MK4 for 2k to be fair, I'm just curious what parts exactly I need for the swap. I read that I need to modify one of the engine mounts to make room for the vnt actuator of the ALH and also I really don't care if power steering or AC works immediately, I could tinker with that as I get it running and driving. I'm just curious exactly what do I need from the MK4? Ecu, cluster, pedals, Trans, axels, shift linkage, harness, what do I need just to get it driving?
I'm no expert, and have not completed this swap. However, it is probably well-documented elsewhere. I looked into ALH swaps into the Mk3 and didn't get far. There are enough hurdles that it didn't end up making sense to me if you could just drop in a 1Z/AHU engine in an afternoon rather than spending the extra money on the ALH and all the associated bits and workarounds to make it work. VW people love swaps, but swaps are a pain in the butt.

Personally, my car isn't an enthusiast project, it's actually my daily driver. Keeping it mostly OEM allows for easier diagnosis and repair.

As for the swap, it's definitely been done, but in my research there isn't a complete write-up for the ALH into the mk3 from what I understand, but then again ALHs have been put into nearly everything at this point, so most of the questions have been answered. I'll list what I know.

Fuel: fuel system is effectively the exact same between ALH and AHU. The difference is that the AHU has a different pinout for the injection pump but uses the same connector. So you would just need to repin that connector harness to plug into the ALH pump. Everything else should basically plug right in like the glow plugs, sensors, etc. Use the factory AHU stuff. You might need to lengthen some wires here and there. I believe you can use the Mk3 pedal.

This is all assuming you use the AHU engine harness and ECU... totally different story if you want to swap in the Mk4 electronics. That is WAY more work.

Air: ALH intake faces a different direction than the AHU. You'd need to find a PD150 manifold and adapt it to your intercooler piping using a silicone elbow, not the biggest deal but something to consider. Additionally, ALH routes the intercooler piping to the opposite side of the car, so you'd need to come up with your own intercooler piping to route over to the stock SMIC or mount a front mount intercooler. Not rocket science, but just another piece to consider as routing boost piping smartly is important.

Engine Mounts: The stock ALH turbo does not fit in the Mk3 chassis without modifying the rear engine mount to make room for the actuator. There are off-the shelf swap rear mounts available for this – Darkside Developments sells one. That part is easy. DON'T grind the stock mount, as it generally fatigues and fails in short order. Apparently, aluminum doesn't like stress risers!

The front mount is a question mark as I haven't seen it done. From what I understand it should basically bolt on.

Trans: Use your existing 02A trans and axles. Bolts right on to the ALH. Trans mount is retained as stock.

Turbo: The VNT turbo does require a chip tune if you retain the AHU ECU. You'd need to swap out for the ALH N75 valve. Mechanically, turbo boost control is relatively straightforward, hook vacuum lines up as if you were routing for an ALH. Again, the challenges lie in the intercooler routing.

Exhaust: You will need to fabricate a downpipe or modify the mk4 downpipe to either combine with your existing downpipe as the turbo exhaust flanges are different.

Vacuum lines: The AHU uses a block-mounted vacuum pump that runs off the intermediate shaft and drives the oil pump. The ALH has a vacuum pump that runs off the side of the camshaft. I know nothing about the ALH vacuum system.

Power Steering: from what I understand you should be able to hook up the Mk4 pump to the Mk3 rack. That's all I know.

AC: Same deal as the power steering – no idea other than that it should hook up to your system, it's getting the lines ran that is the question mark. There is a pretty in-depth series about a guy who put a 1.8T into a mk3 on youtube. Lots of good info there. He used the same Mk3 A/C lines but had to bend the hardline slightly to fit the AC compressor since it has to make a harder turn. Pretty sure it would be similar positioning for the ALH. P.S. he only did the swap because he basically got the engine for free and has the fabrication skills, shop lift and all the time in the world to complete it.

Coolant: I believe you'd need to use the mk3 VR6 rad to better line up with the positioning of the coolant outlet. Additionally the coolant bottle sits on the opposite side of the bay for the Mk4.

So all said and done I estimate the cost difference between an ALH swap vs replacing the AHU would be a differential of roughly 1,000-2,000 dollars, pricing in the difference in cost for the engine and the associated parts to make it work. That's not counting your own time or tools. As cool as swaps sound, they can quickly become overwhelming if you don't know exactly what you're doing.

The real benefit of the ALH over the 1Z is the tunability of the ECU using OBD port tuning. But really, how often are you changing your engine tune? Again, swapping that harness over to work with the ALH computer is a LOT of work. That said, various aspects of the ALH engine design remove some of the common failure points that the 1Z/AHU has. That said, I consider the AHU to be a more user-friendly engine in many respects. Namely, I think the timing belt procedure, while slightly more complex than ALH, is easier. Replacement and servicing of accessories is also much simpler on the AHU.

If you like the ALH, just buy a Mk4 with the ALH in it. They are cheap enough now that it doesn't make sense to go through swapping it into a Mk3 unless you want cool guy points and just do this stuff for fun.

Last edited:

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
It's technically doable. I've not seen it actually done, but probably the easiest way would be to use the ALH long block and accessories and the ahu turbo. Run everything through the ahu ECM. You'll need to swap a couple wires, but it would be easier than a lot of other cars that were never designed for a TDI.
But then you get back to the fact that it would probably be easier and better to fix the ahu than to spend all the time swapping in an ALH.
I swapped an older 1.6TD engine in a Mk3 Jetta that was a 2.0. it worked out fairly well actually, though it wasn't fast. It can be done if you want to.

Jarvis89

TDI
You have looked, let alone everywhere... PLEASE... SPARE ME and the rest of us from your LIES. Do a search and actually look. Like hundreds if not thousands of threads about ALH swaps into everything from jeeps, Geo's Boats, small aircrafts, porches,

You clearly have not researched jack squat.
Q: Where do you hide a dead body?
A: 2nd page of google
You clearly have just tired googling things. If you have searched you would find weeks of reading materials and posts and videos etc...

Ok now that my rant is over... just fix up the AHU you have. Oil pumps and head work are cheap, I mean CHEAP compared to even pulling the engine and trying something else.
If you DID a swap, you need everything, Trans, engine, wiring harness and fuse block and ECU, I mean everything, it would be cheaper to buy a different car...
Also emissions are an EASY pass

why and how do you know you have an oil pressure problem... what is the issue? aside from a rust bucket worth a few grand...
People like you make me want to swap a Honda motor into it.

Jarvis89

TDI
I'm no expert, and have not completed this swap. However, it is probably well-documented elsewhere. I looked into ALH swaps into the Mk3 and didn't get far. There are enough hurdles that it didn't end up making sense to me if you could just drop in a 1Z/AHU engine in an afternoon rather than spending the extra money on the ALH and all the associated bits and workarounds to make it work. VW people love swaps, but swaps are a pain in the butt.

Personally, my car isn't an enthusiast project, it's actually my daily driver. Keeping it mostly OEM allows for easier diagnosis and repair.

As for the swap, it's definitely been done, but in my research there isn't a complete write-up for the ALH into the mk3 from what I understand, but then again ALHs have been put into nearly everything at this point, so most of the questions have been answered. I'll list what I know.

Fuel: fuel system is effectively the exact same between ALH and AHU. The difference is that the AHU has a different pinout for the injection pump but uses the same connector. So you would just need to repin that connector harness to plug into the ALH pump. Everything else should basically plug right in like the glow plugs, sensors, etc. Use the factory AHU stuff. You might need to lengthen some wires here and there. I believe you can use the Mk3 pedal.

This is all assuming you use the AHU engine harness and ECU... totally different story if you want to swap in the Mk4 electronics. That is WAY more work.

Air: ALH intake faces a different direction than the AHU. You'd need to find a PD150 manifold and adapt it to your intercooler piping using a silicone elbow, not the biggest deal but something to consider. Additionally, ALH routes the intercooler piping to the opposite side of the car, so you'd need to come up with your own intercooler piping to route over to the stock SMIC or mount a front mount intercooler. Not rocket science, but just another piece to consider as routing boost piping smartly is important.

Engine Mounts: The stock ALH turbo does not fit in the Mk3 chassis without modifying the rear engine mount to make room for the actuator. There are off-the shelf swap rear mounts available for this – Darkside Developments sells one. That part is easy. DON'T grind the stock mount, as it generally fatigues and fails in short order. Apparently, aluminum doesn't like stress risers!

The front mount is a question mark as I haven't seen it done. From what I understand it should basically bolt on.

Trans: Use your existing 02A trans and axles. Bolts right on to the ALH. Trans mount is retained as stock.

Turbo: The VNT turbo does require a chip tune if you retain the AHU ECU. You'd need to swap out for the ALH N75 valve. Mechanically, turbo boost control is relatively straightforward, hook vacuum lines up as if you were routing for an ALH. Again, the challenges lie in the intercooler routing.

Exhaust: You will need to fabricate a downpipe or modify the mk4 downpipe to either combine with your existing downpipe as the turbo exhaust flanges are different.

Vacuum lines: The AHU uses a block-mounted vacuum pump that runs off the intermediate shaft and drives the oil pump. The ALH has a vacuum pump that runs off the side of the camshaft. I know nothing about the ALH vacuum system.

Power Steering: from what I understand you should be able to hook up the Mk4 pump to the Mk3 rack. That's all I know.

AC: Same deal as the power steering – no idea other than that it should hook up to your system, it's getting the lines ran that is the question mark. There is a pretty in-depth series about a guy who put a 1.8T into a mk3 on youtube. Lots of good info there. He used the same Mk3 A/C lines but had to bend the hardline slightly to fit the AC compressor since it has to make a harder turn. Pretty sure it would be similar positioning for the ALH. P.S. he only did the swap because he basically got the engine for free and has the fabrication skills, shop lift and all the time in the world to complete it.

Coolant: I believe you'd need to use the mk3 VR6 rad to better line up with the positioning of the coolant outlet. Additionally the coolant bottle sits on the opposite side of the bay for the Mk4.

So all said and done I estimate the cost difference between an ALH swap vs replacing the AHU would be a differential of roughly 1,000-2,000 dollars, pricing in the difference in cost for the engine and the associated parts to make it work. That's not counting your own time or tools. As cool as swaps sound, they can quickly become overwhelming if you don't know exactly what you're doing.

The real benefit of the ALH over the 1Z is the tunability of the ECU using OBD port tuning. But really, how often are you changing your engine tune? Again, swapping that harness over to work with the ALH computer is a LOT of work. That said, various aspects of the ALH engine design remove some of the common failure points that the 1Z/AHU has. That said, I consider the AHU to be a more user-friendly engine in many respects. Namely, I think the timing belt procedure, while slightly more complex than ALH, is easier. Replacement and servicing of accessories is also much simpler on the AHU.

If you like the ALH, just buy a Mk4 with the ALH in it. They are cheap enough now that it doesn't make sense to go through swapping it into a Mk3 unless you want cool guy points and just do this stuff for fun.
Considering this swap is definitely just for cool guy points and for fun. I'm very happy you replied because you answered every question I had that I couldn't find online like the Trans and axel, intercooler routing and the rear mount.
This is the kind of info that gives me more confidence, thank you.

Last edited:

Jarvis89

TDI
You would do all that, just to avoid smog?
It's not to avoid smog, I just like the mk3 jetta look and want something unique. I've done easier swaps on Japanese cars and BMW this is just my first VW project and all the info on ALH swaps are into other chassis besides a MK3 vw..

Jarvis89

TDI
It's technically doable. I've not seen it actually done, but probably the easiest way would be to use the ALH long block and accessories and the ahu turbo. Run everything through the ahu ECM. You'll need to swap a couple wires, but it would be easier than a lot of other cars that were never designed for a TDI.
But then you get back to the fact that it would probably be easier and better to fix the ahu than to spend all the time swapping in an ALH.
I swapped an older 1.6TD engine in a Mk3 Jetta that was a 2.0. it worked out fairly well actually, though it wasn't fast. It can be done if you want to.
I never realized it was possible to Frankenstein the ALH head on the AHU block. That is very interesting.
After reading some of these comments I think I am going to just address the oil pressure issue first on the AHU the only thing that discourages me about fixing this motor is that it is the dirtiest engine I ha e ever seen, internally. When I did the timing belt on it after I bought it and looked under the valve cover it was unrecognizable. There was about 1" thick layer of what looked like black play-doh covering everything. I'm going to check the oilpan here this week and see if may be the pickup tube is filled with the same stuff or look for evidence of rod bearing wear.

garciapiano

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDI (1Z)
I never realized it was possible to Frankenstein the ALH head on the AHU block. That is very interesting.
After reading some of these comments I think I am going to just address the oil pressure issue first on the AHU the only thing that discourages me about fixing this motor is that it is the dirtiest engine I ha e ever seen, internally. When I did the timing belt on it after I bought it and looked under the valve cover it was unrecognizable. There was about 1" thick layer of what looked like black play-doh covering everything. I'm going to check the oilpan here this week and see if may be the pickup tube is filled with the same stuff or look for evidence of rod bearing wear.
ALH head does not fit on AHU block. The electronics, injectors and sensors though, do fit.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Verify the low oil pressure with a mechanical gauge first. On the AHU, it's not that uncommon for a low oil pressure issue to be a worn intermediate shaft bearing.

turbodieseldyke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 jetta
It's not to avoid smog, I just like the mk3 jetta look and want something unique. I've done easier swaps on Japanese cars and BMW this is just my first VW project and all the info on ALH swaps are into other chassis besides a MK3 vw..
Do you have another BEW as a donor, or are you gutting the wagon?

Jarvis89

TDI
Verify the low oil pressure with a mechanical gauge first. On the AHU, it's not that uncommon for a low oil pressure issue to be a worn intermediate shaft bearing.
I read about that and i wiggled the intermediate shaft pulley while I had the timing Belt off hoping that was the issue but seemed solid. I'll keep you posted brother

Jarvis89

TDI
Do you have another BEW as a donor, or are you gutting the wagon?
The thought of gutting the wagon is heartbreaking so I think ide utilize my experience with it and just find a donor car. there seems to be enough trashed beetles here in San diego near me with the BEW

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat B4V, ALH engine out of a 2002 Jetta, some IE Rods and ASV Pistons. Nothing drivable yet though
search for my swap ALH into mk2 that will supply the basics. Minus accessories.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
I didnt mean to be a jerk guy! It's just all swaps are not even close to cut and dry. No one really has an exact copy paste for any soap but there are plenty and I'm not kidding about nearly thousands of swaps done and documented enough to kinda get the point that you need to do a FULL LOAD OF WORK from welding to wireing.
Thjngs to know are drive shaft sizes and so forth for swaps like manual to auto or putting in 4x4 into a jetta... that was done.... so saying you searched to me says you missed the entire forums area called "conversions" and that pissed me off.... sorta....
Just called it like I saw it.
If your serious about some engine swap... do it. I was and still am going to be doing a AHU into a Porsche 944. And beloved it or not.. the 5 cylinder tdi was swapped into one. A few times actually.
So point is. No one has a "this is how to do it" but there are hundreds of thousands of videos on engine swaps and how ot was done on YouTube and many of them include a TDI base or diesel engine. I told you that you will need basically a donor car... at least the entire wiring block inside and out to splce it all togeather. Engine management and a lot of custom parts.

Jarvis89

TDI
I didnt mean to be a jerk guy! It's just all swaps are not even close to cut and dry. No one really has an exact copy paste for any soap but there are plenty and I'm not kidding about nearly thousands of swaps done and documented enough to kinda get the point that you need to do a FULL LOAD OF WORK from welding to wireing.
Thjngs to know are drive shaft sizes and so forth for swaps like manual to auto or putting in 4x4 into a jetta... that was done.... so saying you searched to me says you missed the entire forums area called "conversions" and that pissed me off.... sorta....
Just called it like I saw it.
If your serious about some engine swap... do it. I was and still am going to be doing a AHU into a Porsche 944. And beloved it or not.. the 5 cylinder tdi was swapped into one. A few times actually.
So point is. No one has a "this is how to do it" but there are hundreds of thousands of videos on engine swaps and how ot was done on YouTube and many of them include a TDI base or diesel engine. I told you that you will need basically a donor car... at least the entire wiring block inside and out to splce it all togeather. Engine management and a lot of custom parts.
Ok buddy. Maybe I was just surprised there are no full writeups on an ALH into a mk3 with how much VW and ALH content that exists. As someone like yourself who seems to be so informed I feel like you can atleast understand that. Goodluck on your 944.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ok buddy. Maybe I was just surprised there are no full writeups on an ALH into a mk3 with how much VW and ALH content that exists. As someone like yourself who seems to be so informed I feel like you can atleast understand that. Goodluck on your 944.
10/4 i don't need luck, i need TIME